Self-Assist Disembarkation on the Destiny

higcat

I've just heard about the Self-Assist option on the Destiny in San Juan, but unfortunately can't find any information on it. We have a 1:00 flight from San Juan to NYC and want to be off the ship early enough to not be running around the airport at the last minute. Does Self-Assist make the disembarkation faster and easier? Any details would be great. Thanks.:)

I've just heard about the Self-Assist option on the Destiny in San Juan, but unfortunately can't find any information on it. We have a 1:00 flight from San Juan to NYC and want to be off the ship early enough to not be running around the airport at the last minute. Does Self-Assist make the disembarkation faster and easier? Any details would be great. Thanks.:)

It does work. You have to be able to tow all of your luggage behind you as you exit the ship. 1:00 is doable, but you should be in line at the start of debarkation (I think it was 7:00 a.m.). Don't tarry, because half the ship is also trying to do the same as you.

We scheduled a later flight out, and had breakfast & played cards, and were one of the later colors to be called. We cleared customs, and were to the airport by 2:00 p.m. A bunch of our group did the self assist, and were to the airport by 10:30.

Haha. I just finished making a nice long post about my debarkation from the destiny. Have a read:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=610832

I would think your 1pm flight would be ok. It does make it quicker to get off, but in no way makes it easier. If you will do it, be at the self assist line NO LATER THAN 6:30, so maybee you can be up front.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it really depends on how many are doing it and if they are US Citizens. I did self-assist yesterday and was off the ship in 5 mins. There was no line at all. There was a back up since many of the pax on our sailing were from the Caribbean and had to go through a different line.

I just stayed in my cabin and they called down self assist by decks...Rivera and Spa...then Main and Lido..then she said everyone one else just come on down. That was at 7:30ish.I was even able to use the elevator(something impossible on Liberty and Legend..due to long waiting times.)..I was at the airport by 8am. I probably could have just left my bags out the last night and got the early flight tags. I think they were meeting in the Palladium Lounge and 7:45.

We will have plenty of time if you decide not to self assist, the last passengers are usually off the ship by 10:30 max.

The airport is less then 15 minutes away.

Trust me, SJU is not a very interesting airport to sit around at for hours.

My GF didnt get off the ship until after 12 yesterday, in the past few weeks some were off until 1pm. While self-assist isnt always necessary I would get the early flight tags if you have a flight before 1:30. The lines at AA and USAir can be very, very long.

I just got back from the 9/2 Destiny sailing and self-debarkation was NOT offered. They specifically mentioned that they didn't want anyone walking off the ship carrying large bags. They did offer to be within the first 4 debarkation groups for anyone with flights before 1:30pm.

We ended up getting assigned to group 11 (of 32 total) and our group was called around 9:30am. We were off the ship and past customs by 10am.

They were not checking group numbers once you got to the vicinity of the Palladium Lounge. But all in all it was a pretty orderly debarkation and people seemed to be sticking to their group numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got back from the 9/2 Destiny sailing and self-debarkation was NOT offered. They specifically mentioned that they didn't want anyone walking off the ship carrying large bags. They did offer to be within the first 4 debarkation groups for anyone with flights before 1:30pm.

Did they give a reason, it seems it was offered last week.

I just got off this Sunday from the Destiny and had no problems doing self assist. We left at 7:45 - walked right off, no lines - and were in our cab within 5 minutes. It was very easy.

Also, we got there around 12PM and were in our cabins by 12:30. No lines, it was great. This was the best embark/debark experience that I have ever gone through on a cruise...Amazing!

Archived