carry-on regs and bc?

mermaid40

We cruise and then dive in almost every port. Here's our packing strategy.

We have a separate regulator/computer bag in which I pack both sets of regulators as well as our main dive computers and our backup dive computers. This bag is always a carry on bag. Fortunately this bag can be worn like a backpack. The rest of our dive gear (masks, fins, snorkles, wetsuits, BCD's, etc.) gets packed in a large bag with rollers designed for SCUBA gear. This big bag goes aboard as checked luggage once we get to the port. We have two, fairly large mesh duffle bags which are folded and packed. We use these mesh duffles for the trip to and from the dive boat.

So far we have never had any trouble as far as gear getting aboard goes. We don't travel via commercial airlines so airline baggage restrictions don't impact us. If we did fly commercially I would still keep the regulators & computers as carry on. I would probably use two checked bags for the rest of our gear to avoid overweight baggage charges. Putting everything in one bag works but it's one heavy bag when packed. We're talking hernia region here to lift it.

BTW I bought all of the bags we use except the regulator/computer bag on eBay. They were much more affordable this way.

Hope this info helps. Now go enjoy that next cruise and dive expedition.

I always carry-on as much gear as possible, whether cruising, or flying. I don't trust anyone with my equipment.

We're leaving on Grandeur, for Bermuda, tomorrow, and I just finished packing the following, in a carry-on:

Zeagle Stiletto

3/2 shorty

2 masks

snorkel

boots

batteries & charger

light

camera

swimsuit

There's also room for my regs & computer, but they'll be in my regulator bag.

Alas...the SP Jets will not fit........

One time I actually put my reg in checked luggage and fretted about it the whoel flight. It was fine but I will never part with it again. The worry of loss was just too much to bear. It's carry on from now on.

Hi,

I take a carry-on roller bag, or dive duffle (mess duffles will "squish down" enough to fit in the luggage sizer), large enough to hold my BC and regulator and just take it on the plane. I also take along a back pack with my mask, snorkel, 3mm wet suit (take a chance with checking my fins). Remember on the plane it is one carry on with a back pack or large purse (that still equals two bags per person). :)

Randall

Archived