People in Hurricanes

Karysa

For the last couple of days I have been thinking of the wonderful islands we have visited in the Caribbean and I am so worried about the people who live there right now as Dean is hammering them. This spring while we visited Antigua the young men running our excursion told me about the 3 days that they endured Hurricane Louis back in '95 and they said at one point they were in their homes for almost 3 days and could only come out for an hour when the eye passed. Could you imagine what it must have been like? Let's hope that this is the only one this year.

Karysa

While folks in the Carribean are more accustomed to hurricanes, this doesn't mean it's easier for them. I was on the Norwegian Majesty when we were one of the first into Cozumel 4 weeks after Hurricane Wilma--a Cat 5 hurricane--just SAT there on them for 2 days.

Those of you who pray, it might be a good time to pray for those folks dealing with this. As a survivor of 3 hurricanes, I can tell you that it never gets any easier.

For the last couple of days I have been thinking of the wonderful islands we have visited in the Caribbean and I am so worried about the people who live there right now as Dean is hammering them. This spring while we visited Antigua the young men running our excursion told me about the 3 days that they endured Hurricane Louis back in '95 and they said at one point they were in their homes for almost 3 days and could only come out for an hour when the eye passed. Could you imagine what it must have been like? Let's hope that this is the only one this year.

Karysa

Thank you so much for posting this. Far too often I read on here how cruisers are seemingly only concerned with changed itineraries and new ports of call and NOT with the actual people who live and work at these Caribbean destinations that we love so much. Let us all remember the friendly people we meet while cruising and keep them in our thoughts during hurricane season!

We have a friend that is with the Peace Corp in Jamaica. Right now he is holed up in the American Embassy feeling very guilty because he knows the people he is working with are in for a rough time. We do need to think more about the locals and less about our vacation being disrupted. Thanks for bringing this up.

We have a friend that is with the Peace Corp in Jamaica. Right now he is holed up in the American Embassy feeling very guilty because he knows the people he is working with are in for a rough time. We do need to think more about the locals and less about our vacation being disrupted. Thanks for bringing this up.

Archived