Cruising to Cozumel on 8/25 (hurricane?)

Aaron4AU

Im supposed to be boarding the Carnival Fantasy and leaving New Orleans for Costa Maya/Cozumel on 8/25/07. At this point it looks like Hurricane Dean is heading right for our destination. I assume our cruise will just take us some place else if Cozumel gets messed up badly. I was hoping someone on here might be able to give me some insight as to what alternative ports we might visit? It's looking like the whole upper half of the Yucatan Peninsula is going to be effected by this storm.

I realise it's too early to tell what will happen with the storm so this is purely a hypothetical question.

I also already paid for a snorkeling excursion in Cozumel. Will they just credit my account if we dont go there?

Thanks!

The storm looks to be heading far enough south of Cozumel to spare her serious damage. Lets hope that track continues and all goes well for everyone. The beach clubs along the south shore look like they will bear the brunt of the damage. I'll bet they suffer beach erosion. I hope it isn't too serious.

When we sailed in October 2005, right after Wilma did her damage to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We were changed to Progresso, we did get OBC and a one day refund for the cruise because we went from a five day to a four day cruise. It was a great cruise, remember the cruise is what you make of it.:)

Im supposed to be boarding the Carnival Fantasy and leaving New Orleans for Costa Maya/Cozumel on 8/25/07. At this point it looks like Hurricane Dean is heading right for our destination. I assume our cruise will just take us some place else if Cozumel gets messed up badly. I was hoping someone on here might be able to give me some insight as to what alternative ports we might visit? It's looking like the whole upper half of the Yucatan Peninsula is going to be effected by this storm.

I realise it's too early to tell what will happen with the storm so this is purely a hypothetical question.

I also already paid for a snorkeling excursion in Cozumel. Will they just credit my account if we dont go there?

Thanks!

Right now the Aug 20th sailing is departuring from New Orleans. The ship will visit Key West (instead of Costa Maya) and Cozumel. Once the hurricane passes over Cozumel and Costa Maya, Carnival and the Port Officials will re-evaluate whether it is safe to go there.

As far as your shore excursion, I have had them refund my credit card and have had them use the amount as a credit towards a different excursion.

Dave

Thanks!

Barring a big job to the north, the path should leave Cozumel perfectly safe, especially since it is on the West side of the Island...

Now...Costa Maya could be a different story. Dean will go about 15 miles north of Costa Maya if current predictions hold.

If something happened to not go to Costa Maya, I would expect an alternative port would be Belize (one of my favorites) or Guatamala City (interesting, but a bit of a dump.)

Let us know how your trip goes. I will be on the Fantasy in October.

If something happened to not go to Costa Maya, I would expect an alternative port would be Belize (one of my favorites) or Guatamala City (interesting, but a bit of a dump.)

Guatemala City is in the Mountains far from any water...How does a ship dock or tender there? Are you thinking of Roatan perhaps?

Guatemala City is in the Mountains far from any water...How does a ship dock or tender there? Are you thinking of Roatan perhaps?

The ships dock at Santa Tomas in Guatemala. For the OP, you cannot rule out the ship going to Calica or Progreso if Costa Maya is not available.

Dave

We are on this sailing as well, and this has been discussed on our "roll call" thread. At this point with the storm it is hard to tell, any of the ports mentioned above as possible options sound great to me. I do hope we will know something for certain soon......we are waiting anxiously to find out just where our vacation will take us. ;)

Archived