Back from Beautiful Explorer and Bermuda!!

Hi: I have a few questions. we have never been on Royal Caribbean ships or the Explorer of the Seas. If you don't want to go to the pool on ship days do they have any other activities you can do? Do they have different lessons and if so, are they free. Any tips about the ship , where to eat (we are doing early sitting) would be appreciated. Thanks.

A quick mini review:

Arrived at Bayonne at 11:00. Took us EXACTLY 3 hours from Baltimore MD.

Only had to wait in a short line to drop our luggage, and then got a a great parking spot within a short walk back. We did have to wait to board. Surprised to see so many passengers still departing from the ship.

As I posted elsewhere, I would be a new cruiser and wanting to take my two 17 y/o nieces next year. I see where you left Baltimore and it took 3 hours. I am located about an hour and a half from you so I want to drive up to the Bayonne port. A friend went out of there a few years ago and said that it was very chaotic at the port and which lane to be in and people honking and beeping b/c it wasn't clearly marked what you were supposed to do once there. Here's my only worry - -I know you are only about 7 miles out from New York so my only fear is that once you turn off on exit 14, is it pretty easy to get where you need to get? I just don't want to hit a wrong turn and end up in the middle of NY and their traffic!!! Or better yet, to avoid that whole mess, is there a motel around there that would be easier to get to that I could leave my car and either have them drop us off at the port or take a relatively short cab ride? Looks like most of the motels are at the airport or actually in NY which I want to avoid. Any help from anyone who has done this would be greatly appreciated. In any case, I would probably still drive anyway and take my chances at this point!

>snip< Here's my only worry - -I know you are only about 7 miles out from New York so my only fear is that once you turn off on exit 14, is it pretty easy to get where you need to get? I just don't want to hit a wrong turn and end up in the middle of NY and their traffic!!! Or better yet, to avoid that whole mess, is there a motel around there that would be easier to get to that I could leave my car and either have them drop us off at the port or take a relatively short cab ride? Looks like most of the motels are at the airport or actually in NY which I want to avoid. Any help from anyone who has done this would be greatly appreciated. In any case, I would probably still drive anyway and take my chances at this point!

The signs are plentiful, once you get off on exit 14. Once you cross the Bayonne Bridge you will go south to get to Cape Liberty (Ocean Terminal)

Most of the hotels are near the Airport. . . Only 10 minutes from the Pier. You will find all of the national chains there. Just check for hotels at Newark International Airport. (The Airport is actually closer to Elizabeth , NJ, than it is to Newark, NJ)

Radio

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
We had a coupon which covered the $3.95 cover charge, which meant our meal was free. But you can order anything you want(except drinks) and it will only cost $3.95. As you can see, my DH enjoyed his burger (and fries and rings!!)

that hamburger sure looks good!! Can't wait to go to Johnnie Rockets!

the ones at the Windjammer are good too - hubby teases me cuz I have a hamburger everyday for lunch whether I am there or in the Dining Rm -- on every cruise I take - he says he will just take me to In and Out instead of a cruise = Carol

Back from Bermuda. Great cabin, service, good to great food. We ate at Portofinos on Tues. Nite. Delicious- DS had filet mignon, I had seafood skewer, DH had veal. All wonderful. Risotto/shrimp appetizer, salads, dessert sampler. All wonderful. Service was great.

Captain Rynd has a great, dry sense of humor. He spoke at Platinum/Diamond cocktail party. Many jokes and I think the crowd thought he was serious! Like RCCL is stopping in Greenland.

In Bermuda we went to Horseshoe Bay Beach, Swizzle Inn (South Shore) and shopping in Hamilton. Prices are steep. Bought DS some comic books. Next day Restless Native Catamaran -great excursion -FYI previous captain sold the catamaran a year or two ago. They still serve the cookies.

The new CD, Dave, is still cutting his teeth, and will be great with a few month's experience. He is very entertaining and charming.

As soon as I create a photobucket account, I'll post pix on the "All things Explorer" thread. I have a coconut cookie for Suzanne (Aquacruiser)

Archived