Cell phone use

ispisthebst

Hello,

Depending on the ship (they are all being retrofitted) with WMS which will allow you to use your cell while at sea. Now you will be charged an additional fee on top of your regular usage, this fee varies between companies, it does work. If you are on a pay as you go service it will not work as far as I am aware. Blackberry service also works.

Happy Cruising:)

Check online or call your cell phone company before you go to find out the rates

Can I use my cell phone on the ship?spacer.gifYes, Carnival Cruise Lines has completed the fleetwide implementation of cell phone service aboard all 22 of it's "Fun Ships".

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/cell_phone_service.aspx

The previously posted cost of $2.49/minute is accurate. You might do better to add international roaming to your plan and use your phone in port. Charges are generally quite a bit less than the $2.49.

$2.49 per minute for most companies, T-Mobile $4.99. Most of the big companies work, smaller regional companies may not. Go to your providers web site or call for details.

Most ships are GSM (at&t/cingular, T-mobile etc) and CDMA (Verizon, Sprint, Alltel,etc) compatible.

MAC

my mom called the verizon people and they told her to call this one number to update her roaming or whatever when she got on the cruise she never lost service on the cruise....my brother didnt call this number and his service would go in and out

How about Sprint - cell and blackberry? Destiny?.....

Sprint's voice and SMS will work if you have coverage. Sprint's data roaming is spotty for international locations and I'm not sure if it will work on the Cruise Ship's network.

What makes it tricky is that the local provider has to have a connection to the BlackBerry network.

Sprint's voice and SMS will work if you have coverage. Sprint's data roaming is spotty for international locations and I'm not sure if it will work on the Cruise Ship's network.

What makes it tricky is that the local provider has to have a connection to the BlackBerry network.

.....the same as the others, $2.49/min?

:confused:

Paula and I have phones with Australian Telco TELSTRA.

Had International roaming switched on for both phones for trip - no need to specify countries.

It worked fine wherever we went. Carnival system has a base station start up whenever you are not within range of shore stations.

In our cabin we always got the on ship station in our cabing but once it switched off the shore based system did not penetrate the hull so we did not reconnect until we went on deck or ashore. The connect/reconnect was automatic and the only way we could tell which system was to look at the provider on the screen.

Be aware that sometimes the Carnival system may not start up until well after leaving port. We got a flood of SMS messages about 2:30am one morning.

Haven't seen the cost yet as bill is about due.

David

.....the same as the others, $2.49/min?

:confused:

Goto Sprint's web site and check the rate. Each cruise ship should be listed. I believe it's 2.49, but double check to be sure. Each country you visit will also have a different rate.

I have sprint with nationwide long distance. I made a call from the Ecstacy after leaving cozumel. It showed up on the bill as a call from Ecstacy, Floriday USA..............and only used minutes from my plan. No additional charge. I don't remember if I called home or my spouses cell phone, but I do remember being pleasantly surprised NOT to get a big bill. :cool:

Archived