What's the deal???

jlhc99

I completely understand what you're saying and you're right - it is not particularly hard to get answers. I just don't understand why you are fighting against the idea of them giving the answers more clearly. Why in the world would ANYBODY have a problem with that. Do you think that would somehow harm your cruising experience? Even if you think this is no big deal, why wouldn't you support making even a tiny improvement?

I personally think that welcome champagne is no big deal, but if they suddenly took it away and people were upset about it, I'd take their side (even if I thought it was a mountains/molehills situation).

There is a history of mixed-messages given by X (largely by their shore-based customer service personnel, but also according to some on this thread and others, aboard the ships). It seems to me that it is in everybody's best interest if clear and accurate information is given in all places at all times. How could there be a downside to that?

And in the interest of full disclosure, suite or no suite, this isn't really my fight anyway. In 4 cruises, I've had room service exactly ONCE. It makes no difference to me in actuality, as I'd rather get out and dine elsewhere. However, I empathize with folks in suites who can't figure out what they can or can't get. I'm arguing a principle, not out of my own self-interest.

And in the interest of full disclosure, suite or no suite, this isn't really my fight anyway. In 4 cruises, I've had room service exactly ONCE. It makes no difference to me in actuality, as I'd rather get out and dine elsewhere. However, I empathize with folks in suites who can't figure out what they can or can't get. I'm arguing a principle, not out of my own self-interest.

I TOTALLY agree with you. Information should be up front! And as a suite pax I appreciate you standing on principle! I appreciate anyone who stands up for their principles...even if it isn't in support of my position;););)!

Denise

Here is the interactive brochure.

See page 71. You can zoom in and find that it states that for suites all CC amenities are available plus.....

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/pageflip/jan07/brochure_nov2006.html

If the butler says it cant be done then he is a 'bad' butler. At least you now know what you are 'allowed' to expect.

I greatly appreciate this board and thank you for the post showing me what is on a cc menu and the post showing that I should be able to request items in my sky suite comparable to items that people in cc suites receive. This is my first cruise on celebrity, believe it or not coming from Regent which is an incredible line. I hope to be able to cruise more often and wanted to try Celebrity since it is substantially less than Regent. Knowing I can be treated to such lovely breakfast items as smoothies, etc. is exciting.

Suzie

Here is the interactive brochure.

See page 71. You can zoom in and find that it states that for suites all CC amenities are available plus.....

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/pageflip/jan07/brochure_nov2006.html

If the butler says it cant be done then he is a 'bad' butler. At least you now know what you are 'allowed' to expect.

:D Yup! There it is in black & white! You did some GREAT research! But I believed you before when you said it was in the UK brochure. The problem is, except for your link, in North America, I don't access the UK X site or the UK brochure. And if X can print it in the UK brochure, why not put it in the North American brochures? I know! I know! You're right! Some people just can't be satisfied! (Who? ME?!?:eek::D) At any rate, it's great to see it in print. Thanks for your help!:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

I personally like the fact that not everything is spelled out and that I have to be a little bit of a detective in order to get certain things that may be available to everyone, but only those who know to ask for it will get it.

I've enjoyed that ever since I began making my own travel arrangements, more than 25 years ago. I went to a travel agent and they wanted to book everything according to the book (by that I mean brochures, etc.), and I wanted to do better. I did a little research, and suddenly the trip I was taking was only going to cost me about 40 percent as much as the travel agent had quoted.

Why was this so, because there were prices that were available to everyone, for a short time, but you had to know to ask for it or you wouldn't get it. The same thing happens today, even with cruises, and people who just call their travel agent and tell him/her to book a suite on a Trans Atlantic/Caribbean/Panama Canal/Alaska cruise during the month of December, February, April or July. That person will pay top dollar, while you may have done some research and will have the suite or cabin next door and you paid hundreds or thousands of dollars less.

Believe me now when I tell you that I'm not talking about the difference between two completely different cabins or ships or anything else. I'm talking about comparing apples to apples. You've all experienced it before, you're sitting on a plane and you start talking about how much you paid for your ticket and the passenger next to you winces in financial pain as he recounts that he is paying $500 more.

I booked my TA cruise this December and then went to see a local travel agent. The travel agent asked me where and when I wanted to travel and then picked out two brochures, looked on line and quoted me a price for our cruise that was higher than the price we're paying for our cruise, round-trip airfare from Portland, OR to Fort Lauderdale and one-way airfare from Miami to Barcelona. It didn't include the $125 onboard credit that I had arranged either. I do this every so often just to see how the people who aren't willing to do some detective work are faring. Needless to say, they're not doing too well.

For me, I appreciate the need to do my own research, and I'm sure that there are more things available because not everyone knows to request them.

It's the same when I go grocery shopping. One of our local stores honors every competitor coupon (store, double and manufacturer). I teach personal finance classes for free, and I've yet to meet a person in one of those classes who was aware of the policy until I told them about it.

Financially, what you don't know can hurt you.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Archived