Hyatt or Marriott in Vancouver

We are looking for a hotel in the downtown Vancouver area. We are planning to spend 2 days there before our cruise next year.

Right now, we are leaning towards the Hyatt Regency or the Marriott Pinnacle. Does anyone have an opinion about these 2 places? Which hotel do you think would be best as far as location for getting around the Vancouver area? (We will not have a car.) We are hoping to go to Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain, and the Suspension Bridge. I know we will have to take a cab to get to the cruise ship, but I would like to use some type of transit system for the Vancouver area sightseeing. So I guess I need a hotel that is close to where I could pick up transportation and also close to places to eat.

Thanks.

Michele

These hotels are only 2 1/2 blocks apart. Advantage for area goes to the Hyatt.

You could walk to Stanley Park from both. Advantage by 2 1/2 blks. Marriott.

Both will have easy access to transportation.... advantage Hyatt better cross traffic.

Both same distance to Canada Place Advantage - which is less expensive..

Marriott might be an easier taxi run to Ballantyne pier.

Thanks for the information. I'm definitely leaning towards the Hyatt because we can get a cheaper rate there. It seems like I was reading somewhere that there is a Sky Train station right across from the Hyatt, if I'm correct on the name. Is this correct and if so can we take the sky train to Grouse Mountain and the Suspension Bridge?

Michele

Yes there is a sky train station there, and yes you could use it to start your journey. But you can't go far in the direction of Grouse and SeaBus. :p

It would probably be just as quick to walk to the seabus. BUT.... you can get an all day pass for transit that allows off and on which will take you on your way and or bring you back. ($8) a great deal.

Physically skytrain to seabus is a walk back up to almost the same height as Canada Place on the water and then back down to seabus. But it would allow you to use the system after your return to Vancouver from Grouse.

YOu should checkout the transit pages starting at http://www.translink.bc.ca/Transportation_Services/SeaBus/default.asp and then go to the bus routes to see where Grouse and Cap. Canyon is.

I apologize for being dumb, but I've looked at the website and I'm still confused. If I want to do the $8 all day pass, is there a bus that I can take directly to Grouse Mtn. and the Bridge? I looked at some of the bus routes, but it just wasn't clear to me. Do I have to get there by Seabus, or no? If I can take a bus only to get there, where would I pick up the bus if I'm staying at the Hyatt?

Thanks for all of your help. All of this is probably on the website you gave me, it's just not real clear to me.

Michele

Yes you could get there by bus but it is longer and you run the risk of getting tied up in traffic as there is no express lane on the bridge for buses. You would catch the bus on Georgia St around the corner from the Hyatt and then transfer to the Grouse Mt bus in North Vancouver - take the Seabus - it is dependable and doesn't get hung up on traffic - the views are spectacular and before you know it you are across Burrard Inlet - the Cap Bridge and Grouse Bus will be empty when you board it unlike if you transfer - it could be quite full as this a popular route in the tourist season.

If you have some time on your hands and want to go over the bridge the views of the skyline and the ships at Canada place is wonderful do it on the return - that way if you get stuck in traffic it won't be as big a pain.

Michele - try this on the web site - start location Georgia and Burrard - end location Grouse Mt - will be interested to see which route it recommends.

Hope this helps and enjoy your Vancouver stay.

Cheers

Dennis

I apologize for being dumb, but I've looked at the website and I'm still confused. If I want to do the $8 all day pass, is there a bus that I can take directly to Grouse Mtn. and the Bridge? I looked at some of the bus routes, but it just wasn't clear to me. Do I have to get there by Seabus, or no? If I can take a bus only to get there, where would I pick up the bus if I'm staying at the Hyatt?

Thanks for all of your help. All of this is probably on the website you gave me, it's just not real clear to me.

Michele,

Here is a link to an explanation I gave to someone else --> re: getting to Grouse Mt. and Capilano Suspension Bridge.

I suggest you walk to Waterfront Station (next to Canada Place). It's a short, easy walk from either the Hyatt or Marriott. You can purchase an All Day pass there or just pay the per ride ticket (though the All Day pass gives you a bit more flexibility in terms of transfers, etc).

In summary: From Waterfront Station, you take the Seabus to Lonsdale Quay; transfer to a bus that will take you up Capilano Road; you can get off at the stop for the Suspension Bridge and/or Grouse Mt. on the same line. If you tell the bus driver where you want to get off, he will let you know when it's your stop.

Sorry if I confused you. I have a habit of doing that apparently.:o

anyways if you take the advice the other guys posted you'll do just fine.

You must use the Lions Gate Bridge or the Seabus to get to North Vancouver and the places you wanted to visit. It's not hard. Just difficult to picture. Check out a google map of the area.

Archived