Cooking in Cozumel

billylen

It may be sold out because there are a limited number of spots available for the class. Perhaps you could contact Carnival to see if there is room for you. Good luck!

Thanks, I have found out it's a failure of the website. There were some itinerary changes and that may be the lag in posting all the excursions.

This was a great time! I'm glad we did it.. the food was tasty and drinks were flowing non stop! Luis was very fun.

It is now indoors -- the table where you eat the food is upstairs in the new building. They didnt use any flat panel tv's for our class.. not sure what happened, but everything was top notch and the assistants had everything down to where everything was just right there for you to put it in the pan.

Afterwards, we had about an hour to enjoy the beach club and open bar at the beach as well :D

How do you book this tour?

Is it for Carnival Cruise passengers only?...or can I book it on my own?

Is there a website for the place?

I don't see it as an option on the Norwegian website, and this would be great to do with Mom and Dad along this time!

Thanks in advance!

:)

YIKES!

I remember seeing it when I was on Royal and Princess, too, but we did "crazier" stuff like the ATV and Horseback riding tours.

Looks like Norwegian does not do this one....though it seems strange they wouldn't.... :confused: Oh well.

Thanks for the feedback!

:)

We took a private cooking class in Cozumel - held at the Spanish/English school by a lady called Josefina only last week.

It was fabulous. No open bar - but we were offered margaritas (if we made them ourselves with fresh limes). This was a more cosy and intimate experience. I think that anyone really interested in cooking would love it.

We first went shopping in the local market with Josefina and prior to the day I had selected that we would cook cochinita pibil (a pork dish). We made tortillas, salsa, guacamole, cactus salad, refried beans.... it was great.

We found the information on the cozumel insider website. We took a chance as I hadn't read a review on it - but it was great fun and about $79 each plus taxis to and from downtown.

Thanks 741323!

I never would have found it without your post!

I'll paste the info below, but as luck would have it, it doesn;t look like it will be available while we are there in April. :(

Here's the "scoop":

Island Cuisine Cooking ClassoutsetYl_tr.gifBoth the Demonstration class and the Hands-On class also include preparation of the basics that accompany every traditional meal of this region: salsa, guacamole and refried beans and homemade tortilla chips. A dessert of Candied Sweet Papaya is also served when fruit is in season and available. Softdrinks/Water are provided and alcoholic beverages are available for purchase.

There will be ample time in the kitchen for an overview and discussion by the instructor as well as questions & answers before gathering together with your fellow classmates around the table to enjoy the delicious, mouth-watering fruits of your labor.

For the Demonstration class or the Hands-On class one of these delicious traditional Mayan/Island dishes can be prepared or you may contact us with your special request:

pepperbullet.gifCochinita Pibil - A lean pork roast marinated in a tantalizing and surprising blend of Mayan spices which is then wrapped in banana leaves and slow cooked until succulently tender.

pepperbullet.gifPollo Pibil - Delicious fresh chicken smothered in the same tangy pibil style sauce used for pork then wrapped in banana leaves and oven roasted.

pepperbullet.gifTik'nxic - Fresh red snapper dusted with a dazzling array of Mayan spices and covered with sour orange juice then grilled to perfection.

pepperbullet.gifTaquitos Dorados Con Pollo - Juicy, spiced cooked chicken and other ingredients rolled inside fresh tortillas, then deep fried until crispy and covered with a tangy red or green tomato sauce. This traditional plate is then garnished with thinly sliced lettuce, onion and radishes and topped with a final sprinkle of fresh cheese.

What better way to spend a vacation day in a foriegn land than understanding the most basic element of it's culture?

Activity Specifics

Name:Island Cuisine Cooking ClassProvider:Island Cuisine CookingAvailability:June 1 - November 15 minimum 6 people requiredIncludes:Island Cuisine Cooking Classes Include:

All Class Materials and Ingredients

Instruction Workbooklet containing:

Historical and Background Information About Yucatecan/Mayan/Island cooking

Full Recipes for Dishes Prepared

Ingredient Glossary

Souvenir Class Pictures

Island Cuisine Cooking Souvenir Apron (Demonstration and Hands-On Only)

Souvenir Spice Packet Samples (When applicable in Demonstration and Hands-On Only )Schedule:Offered by Advance Reservation Only ~

Class Sessions are 2 - 3 depending on class size

Times Offered are Flexible ~

Class Locations Vary But Are Always ConvenientPricing:Individual/Private Classes: US$65 per person

Groups 4-15: US$50 per person

Groups 15-24: US$ 42 per person

I had heard of this excursion and then found the one that Carnival was offering. While I loved the Carnival one, I think this one might have a more "authentic" feel.

We've already got our next Cozumel excursion planned but I'm sure it won't be the last time we find ourselves there and I think by then I'll be ready to give this one a try. Thanks for the review of it.

While it appears the other excursion might have a more authentic feel, the one with Luis and crew would be hard to top. Transportation was provided (air conditioned bus) and the facilities were new and very inviting. Being that it was a new indoor facility it will probably be operational year-round.

And when you add the facilities that are available once the class is completed you have the whole package for about the same amount of money.

My wife and I did this same excursion a couple of years ago with Luis, Moises, and Javier. We had a blast. I do wish they'd change the menu at some point, as they're still cooking the exact same items. A change of pace would be more encouragement to rebook on our next visit.

I agree my husband and I had a ball doing this and would do it again if we could try something new.

Archived