Can someone please explain to me...

MamaParrotHead

Why certain ships get certain reputations? I've heard one ship is "family friendly", one offers more activities and is "fun", another has "great nightlife" versus another ship where the nightlife is reportedly "dead after midnight". The part I don't understand is this....wouldn't those things vary from week to week? To me ALL of those things depend on the crew (which changes), the CD (also changes), the performers (piano player, karaoke host, etc. which rotate as well) and each week's passengers (which also, obviously, change).

I don't understand. :confused: Am I missing something here?

I have noticed that as well.

The Glory is one that (while I have not sailed her yet) has a reputation for being a "family" ship.

Since it sails from Florida and lots of families go to Florida for vacation...perhaps this is one reason.

I do know that the Spirit Class was specificially designed to be more subdued and from all reports ... it has succeeded. (even being called "dead" when the Legend sailed from New York)

Of course, any 3/4 ship is going to have the "party" reputation.

Three and four night cruises are less expensive and fit younger working peoples' lifestyle, budget, availability of vacation time etc.

Five, Six and Seven day cruises will be more attractive to families looking to take that once a year family vacation. These itineraries will involve a full week of vacation time in most cases and a larger investment.

Eight day and longer cruises generally attract an older crowd because of the greater investment in free time and the greater expense.

Plug in the ships doing these itineraries and you have the basis for the different ships' reputations.

There are other variables ofcourse. Time of year and departure port will have a big impact on the demographics onboard any particular cruise. All these points are just general observations. Every cruise will have someone on it from just about any demographic.

It does vary because it is what you make of it and there will be some who will make less of an effort and expect things to be in their face.

The Miracle is known as a quiet ship as far as nightlife............I for one am not a drinker or into the club scene..............BUT I was on a vacation with the wife and no kids, so I made more of an effort than I normally would..................we had many nights out until 1 or 2 am.........and this is definetly NOT the norm. It was some of the best nights out that we've had together in 15 years.

Do what it takes to make it your vacation....don't worry what others say or do.

We are going back to the Miracle with the kids and parents, so I'm expecting more family quality time and that will make that cruise special.

I think its many factors. Ports, length of cruise, time of year, and even crew and cruise director. Even the shorter cruises become more family around the holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas IMO.

Archived