NEED HELP??? How to format a sd memory card for camera???

momofmn00

Their should be a function in your cameras menu. Just place the card in your camera and format through the menu (if you don't know, formatting will delete all data and pics from your card).

With camera menus all being different, refer to your manual.

MAC

Humm...I tried it, but somehow when I try to take pictures/view it says there is nothing on the card (and my camera does not alow pictures to be taken if there is no card in as there is NO internal memory....

Grrrr....Does anybody know, could this be the wrong kinds of sd card? is there a different type for music players, etc?

Just wondering. It says the same thing on the outside as my other sd card (Kodak sd card, 128 MB) except of course it is a SanDisk brand:rolleyes: ....Maybe my Kodak EasyShare Z740 doesn't like other brands....:eek:

I had this sd card in my camera bag on our last cruise and couldn't get it ot work so I ended up sorting thourgh pictures on my other kodak sd card and getting rid of the 'not so good ones' so I could have enough room for the whole week! I was so angry!:mad: But, I just remembered I needed to figure out how to format it before our next family trip and....

Ok follow these steps it should work..

turn camera on AUTO

push Menu button on Back

use the round up/down/left/right button and scroll down until you see SETUP MENU then hit the round button in the center of the large round NAV button you just used

Use the down button again until you see FORMAT then again click small center button

This will give you the Memory Card or Internal Memory select Memory Card

and you should have it formatted

I just walked through this on my Daughters Kodak Easy something

and it has pictures so I will not push anymore button and chance deleting her images...

Hope it helps...

John

Look on the side of your SD card. There's a little switch labeled "lock" on the side. Slide it up towards the contacts. If it's positioned in the down (away from the contacts) position it makes the card read-only like an old floppy disk.

Dave

Look on the side of your SD card. There's a little switch labeled "lock" on the side. Slide it up towards the contacts. If it's positioned in the down (away from the contacts) position it makes the card read-only like an old floppy disk.

Dave

I just thought of this myself.

MAC

Humm...I tried it, but somehow when I try to take pictures/view it says there is nothing on the card (and my camera does not alow pictures to be taken if there is no card in as there is NO internal memory....

Grrrr....Does anybody know, could this be the wrong kinds of sd card? is there a different type for music players, etc?

Just wondering. It says the same thing on the outside as my other sd card (Kodak sd card, 128 MB) except of course it is a SanDisk brand:rolleyes: ....Maybe my Kodak EasyShare Z740 doesn't like other brands....:eek:

I had this sd card in my camera bag on our last cruise and couldn't get it ot work so I ended up sorting thourgh pictures on my other kodak sd card and getting rid of the 'not so good ones' so I could have enough room for the whole week! I was so angry!:mad: But, I just remembered I needed to figure out how to format it before our next family trip and....

I don't think that it would be a compatibility, issue, they all should be interchangeable. I do think it might be locked. There is a remote possibility that it is corrupt, broken.

MAC

Other possibilities.

If it is a 4GB SD card, your Z740 may not be able to read it. SD cards come in SD (up to 2GB) and high-capacity SDHC (4GB and up). SDHC-compatible cameras can read regular SD cards, but not the other way around.

I found the manual for the Z740 on Kodak's site and it doesn't list SDHC as a storage option.

Ebay... Many inexpensive cards sold on Ebay are of very questionable quality. Some are counterfeit or even outright rejects that test bad and are stolen from the manufacturer before they can be destroyed. Ebay has guides that tell you how to spot a fake Sandisk card and lists of suspected sellers.

I find that spending the extra money for Lexar or Sandisk from a retailer like Costco is good insurance against getting hosed by false economy.

I use Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III SD cards and have never had any issue with them. I just bought a spare 2GB Ultra II SD at Costco for $39...a fair price and no worries about it working.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Dave

I use a SanDisk SD card in my Kodak EasyShare Z16 with no problems.

I'm a little unclear. Can you take pictures with the card in the camera?

No, I realy don't think it does take pictures with that SD card in....it wil snap a picture and flash, buto wont show anything on the screen or in the view finder like whenever you do tak a picture and there is not images on the memory card or internal memorey when you try to view it...

Look on the side of your SD card. There's a little switch labeled "lock" on the side. Slide it up towards the contacts. If it's positioned in the down (away from the contacts) position it makes the card read-only

Sorry, that wasn't the problem either....I know...I was hoping!!!!

Other possibilities.

If it is a 4GB SD card, your Z740 may not be able to read it. SD cards come in SD (up to 2GB) and high-capacity SDHC (4GB and up). SDHC-compatible cameras can read regular SD cards, but not the other way around.

I found the manual for the Z740 on Kodak's site and it doesn't list SDHC as a storage option.

Ebay... Many inexpensive cards sold on Ebay are of very questionable quality. Some are counterfeit or even outright rejects that test bad and are stolen from the manufacturer before they can be destroyed. Ebay has guides that tell you how to spot a fake Sandisk card and lists of suspected sellers.

I find that spending the extra money for Lexar or Sandisk from a retailer like Costco is good insurance against getting hosed by false economy.

I use Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme III SD cards and have never had any issue with them. I just bought a spare 2GB Ultra II SD at Costco for $39...a fair price and no worries about it working.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Dave

humm....true. I think this one might have come from ebay when I purcahsed a mp3 player...but ended up selling back the player as it wasn't the one I wanted, but kept the sd card....LOL! Yeah, I know, there are surely some things I would rather buy at the store....

I think I will check at my local Sam's Club (like Costco) the next time I go....

Thanks to everyone for your help:o

??? did you follow the steps I posted above??? john

Yes, I did, but it didn't change anything. :( I am wondering now if it is corrupted or something else.:confused: It came with a mp3 player I purchased off of ebay, but I ended up getting rid of it later and decided to use the card for my camera since I thought it was the right kind...but it has never worked....:eek: I thought maybe I wasn't doing something right, but I guess I was...but I surely wanted to make sure before I purchased another sd card....

Thanks to you and everyone for trying to help!!!!:D

Another way to format is to hook up to computer.

When the new drive shows up for the card, right click

on the new drive and from the pull down menu choose

format. Make sure it is the drive that card is using. You

don't want to format a drive on your your computer.

Hope this helps.

John.

I don't know if you have Circuit City's where you are at but in todays ad they have Sandisk 2 GB SD card for 19.99. I plan on picking up two spares.

Thanks! No Circut City Here, but I will check online! And of course we do have a Best Buy, I might check there too! Thanks again!!!!

Another way to format is to hook up to computer.

When the new drive shows up for the card, right click

on the new drive and from the pull down menu choose

format. Make sure it is the drive that card is using. You

don't want to format a drive on your your computer.

Hope this helps.

John.

humm.....yeah. I didn;t know you could do this, but when I trued windows said it could not finish formattinf the file (sd card) and it also said it was corrupt....LOL! GREAT TO KNOW!!!! Oh, well, thanks to everyone for help! Just wanted to make sure it was not 'my stupidity' before I went ahead and replaced it! Thanks again!:)

Thanks! No Circut City Here, but I will check online! And of course we do have a Best Buy, I might check there too! Thanks again!!!!

NewEgg . com has some really good deals on digital camera cards. Their standard shipping is very reasonable, and very quick. They also have user reviews so you can see feedback on the performance of the products.

MAC

That's interesting. I didn't know that. I've always bought my cards from Costco, with one exception. I bought a "bargain" 1GB Lexar card from Ebay. Guess what, it's the only card I've ever had corrupt and it did it very quickly.:mad:

That's interesting. I didn't know that. I've always bought my cards from Costco, with one exception. I bought a "bargain" 1GB Lexar card from Ebay. Guess what, it's the only card I've ever had corrupt and it did it very quickly.:mad:

See, I know...I love Ebay, but I suppose some things are better purchased at a store.....:rolleyes:

Costco has 4GB Sandisk Ultra II CF cards as their in-store standard now. There's a member's coupon that brings them down to $50 each fron 9/4 - 9/23!

Why risk EBay when you have Costco!

Dave

Why risk EBay when you have Costco!

Exactly. The 4GB sounds pretty good. We're doing a 33 day cruise in March, so I'm sure that I can fill up a lot of memory.:D I can't believe how the prices have dropped.

Exactly. The 4GB sounds pretty good. We're doing a 33 day cruise in March, so I'm sure that I can fill up a lot of memory.:D I can't believe how the prices have dropped.

No kidding! The 4GB Extreme IV cards just dropped under $90 on Amazon!

It wasn't that long ago that a 1GB Extreme Slow was $300!

Dave

• 1 month later...

I haven't read any further than this so I don't know if it's already been suggested...but....I'm guessing your card isn't pushed in all the way to that last click.

Archived