Back from 8-19 Eastern CB Sailing

NthernLgts

Hey everyone....back from the 8-19 Eastern Itinerary (formerly Western, thanks to Dean). All in all, a good cruise. A few flaws, along with a few high points. Its been almost 2 years since we last sailed the CB. All in all, she is being kept up very well. A few snags on embarkation, but disembarkation was a snap. We were at the airport (via Princess transfers) by 9:45 this morning. Will post a review in the next few days.

Hey everyone....back from the 8-19 Eastern Itinerary (formerly Western, thanks to Dean). All in all, a good cruise. A few flaws, along with a few high points. Its been almost 2 years since we last sailed the CB. All in all, she is being kept up very well. A few snags on embarkation, but disembarkation was a snap. We were at the airport (via Princess transfers) by 9:45 this morning. Will post a review in the next few days.

We live here in S. Fla, so getting to the ship in not a problem. Would like to know the earliest we can board without a snag.

By the way, what were your snags?

The main snag with embarkation for us was the very flawed assumption that once we registered the credit card on the princess web site that the credit card registry was done. As it turns out, there really is no benefit to doing this online as you have to do it all over again at embarkation anyway. I happened not to have that particular credit card with me. Thankfully I had another one along. My son's 18 year old girlfriend registered her mothers card online (actually, her mother registered it online via our TA). Princess made no mention that this wouldnt be satisfactory upon embarkation either. Again, thankfully I had another card with to fix that. Princess really needs to communicate better on these things. But still, all in all a good cruise. More to follow.

hi Nthernlights

DD Emily and I were on the CB the week before you - 12-19 Aug Eastern Caribbean. We had a great cruise and were lucky to be unaffected by Dean. Captain Kent kept us informed about the situation throughout the cruise and we learned that you would be doing Eastern vs Western on Fri or Sat of our cruise. Glad you had a great cruise despite the change in itinerary. Hopefully Dean didnt affect St. Thomas and St. Maarten too badly if at all. Looking forward to your review. I still have to do mine! I have posted photos at:

Bob Laubach

Manassas, VA

hi Nthernlights

DD Emily and I were on the CB the week before you - 12-19 Aug Eastern Caribbean. We had a great cruise and were lucky to be unaffected by Dean. Captain Kent kept us informed about the situation throughout the cruise and we learned that you would be doing Eastern vs Western on Fri or Sat of our cruise. Glad you had a great cruise despite the change in itinerary. Hopefully Dean didnt affect St. Thomas and St. Maarten too badly if at all. Looking forward to your review. I still have to do mine! I have posted photos at:

www.BobLaubach.smugmug.com

Bob Laubach

Manassas, VA

Hi there I looked through your photos and really enjoyed them. Thanks. But I would like to know where and how to get to that spice market in Marigot.

Thanks again,

hi mrs g

we were in marigot on wed aug 15th. seems that they have this open market every wednesday and saturday. there is a big parking lot right by the walkway along the water. in another photo near the one of the spices, there is a view of a walkway celing like a V through which you can see Fort Louis. If you go through this walkway with upside-down V roof with view of Fort Louis the market is on the other side from Ft Louis. Lots of interesting vendors of crafts, jewelry etc. I got a nice wooden chiseled box and Em loved the spices. They sold them in regular sized spice bottles for $3 or 3 Euros each. Glad you enjoyed the pix.

Bob Laubach

Manassas, VA

As your mention of the credit card, what does it take a second to give it to the clerk to swipe it. I was on the check in line and witnessed a woman screaming and putting up a fuss about giving her credit card online and then having to give it at check in. The poor girl behind the counter spending all that wasted time having to get someone else to explain after she explained and the passenger still yelled. It took more time complaining about giving the card then if she took it out of her wallet for a quick swipe.

As your mention of the credit card, what does it take a second to give it to the clerk to swipe it. I was on the check in line and witnessed a woman screaming and putting up a fuss about giving her credit card online and then having to give it at check in. The poor girl behind the counter spending all that wasted time having to get someone else to explain after she explained and the passenger still yelled. It took more time complaining about giving the card then if she took it out of her wallet for a quick swipe.

Giving them a card to swipe was no big deal. Not knowing you had to do it was. Having thought I had already taken care of this online, I left that particular card at home. Had Princess informed me upfront that you will have to do it all over again once onboard we could have been more prepared. Besides that, a young lady traveling with us was in the same boat, as you cannot use a card that is in someone elses name. In this case, her mother's name. The web site allows you to do this, yet once youre onboard they tell you sorry the website is incorrect. That is a problem that should not happen.

as you cannot use a card that is in someone elses name. In this case, her mother's name. The web site allows you to do this, yet once youre onboard they tell you sorry the website is incorrect. That is a problem that should not happen.
We had no problem with the same situation. My mom does not own a credit card. My sister entered her card number on the website and presented her card at embarkation and not a word from anyone.

We had no problem with the same situation. My mom does not own a credit card. My sister entered her card number on the website and presented her card at embarkation and not a word from anyone.

We were told two things have to happen at check in: 1) The credit card must be presented at check in regardless of whether it was entered online or not, and; 2) The credit card holder must be present as well. That's what they enforced with us, but it doesnt surprise me there are inconsistancies.

We were told two things have to happen at check in: 1) The credit card must be presented at check in regardless of whether it was entered online or not, and; 2) The credit card holder must be present as well. That's what they enforced with us, but it doesnt surprise me there are inconsistancies.
Then number 2 was the difference for us......my sister (cardholder) was present.

And yes, the inconsistancies is no surprise to me as well.

Can someone answer some questios about the CB. I will be sailing in the Summer of 2008 and have read that they will be some substantial changes made to the ship. Can anyone tell me what they will be. Also, can anyone advise on what the dress policy is usually like. I've looked at some of the photos of the formal nights and have been people wearing basically business cloths similar to what I would wear to work in the NY.

Also would like information regarding mini suites, mattresses, etc. Will we need one of those egg crates.

Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can someone answer some questios about the CB. I will be sailing in the Summer of 2008 and have read that they will be some substantial changes made to the ship. Can anyone tell me what they will be. Also, can anyone advise on what the dress policy is usually like. I've looked at some of the photos of the formal nights and have been people wearing basically business cloths similar to what I would wear to work in the NY.

Also would like information regarding mini suites, mattresses, etc. Will we need one of those egg crates.

Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out this website for lots of information (and the changes) about the CB.

http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com/

For formal night, the majority of passengers are dressed as suggested, men in dark suits, few in tuxes and ladies with gowns or cocktail dresses. I really did not notice any "business" clothing.

As far as bedding in the minisuites, can't help you there. I thought our mattress (standard balcony) was better than last time.

Archived