Just off Pride of America - questions?

Latttelady

We also just got off the POA. I will try to post more. But I agree that the service was better than expected based on reports here. Our room was extremely clean with great service. The rest of the ship was spot less too.

I feel the only drawback was the service in the specialty resturants. The food was excellent, but there were too few servers for the number of people. We have been spoiled in Cagneys on the Spirit and the Star. Not the same experience here. Especially with the extra charge.

Yes we would do it again.

We are trying to make a decision on a PoA cruise vs. a PoH cruise just before Christmas. It looks to me like the cabin on PoA is a little bigger (not that that should be a deciding factor). Otherwise the only difference I see is that PoH is about to be moved to Europe and there is some concern that there might be either crew shortages, or inexperienced/temporary crew or disgruntled crew.

If you have any suggestions, based on your experience, please let me know. I appreciate that you are taking the time.

--My_AZ

I had the opposite-the specialty restaurants had superb service! The Liberty and Skyline were good but not as good! Food all over was very good including the Aloha Cafe buffet! The ship itself was very clean, balcony room always kept clean. Reception area very helpful!

The only draw back to this cruise is the crazy price on the shore excursions. While I have booked off-line before some of the prices were fairly comprable but still alot of money for what was offered, i.e, told lunch was included and it wasn't, so just watch out for those things. Security would check you twice before getting onboard - a minor inconveneince but an inconvenience and they weren't very hospitable.

We stayed at the Marriot Waikiki for two days before and they offered a fast check -in which worked well too, then while in line, we saw an opening at the lattitudes desk and we were able to jump ahead of the line - great!

One way to get around the islands, especially Honolulu is to use the Free Hilo Hattie shuttle! You will end up buying some little trinquet there anyway. The trolly stops in a variety of places all over town and picks up frequently.

Oh and yes I'd go on that ship again, but with a different itinerary.

Had a great time on Pride of America.

Shore Excursions

Hilo - Volcano National Park, Rainbow Falls, Macadamia Nut Factory

Maui - Iao Needle, Aquarium, Luau, Lahania shopping.

Kono - shopping

Kauai - Helicopter ride to Napali Coast.

Had a great time on Pride of America.

Shore Excursions

Hilo - Volcano National Park, Rainbow Falls, Macadamia Nut Factory

Maui - Iao Needle, Aquarium, Luau, Lahania shopping.

Kono - shopping

Kauai - Helicopter ride to Napali Coast.

How did you like the excursion in Hilo? We signed up for that one.

Hilo, was a good one. Bus driver was fun and very informative. Went thru the park, made a few stops, walked the lava tube, lunch at the restaurant. Left some ladies behind at the lava tube even though we were yelling they were not on the bus. Some guy did a head count (wrong) and said everyone was on so the bus driver took off. When we got to the restaurant we convinced her and she went back and got them.

The nut factory was fun, nice walk outside with lots of trees, flowers and plants. Rainbow falls was ok. Not much water flowing that day, but still beautiful, with a giant banyon tree off to the side of the walk.

We did not do any excursion in Hilo, just walked around the town and viewed the river. It was Sunday so most stores were closed. Taxi's were available to travel to the waterfalls, but locals said it had stopped flowing recently so there wouldn't be much to do up there. Was a good day to relax on the ship after the walk esp., since we had a 13 hour flight to get to Honolulu.

So glad you posted since we leave for the PoAm on Saturday! One quick question: when you were in Maui, what was the earliest you could leave the ship on the first day in port? Thanks!

Andrea

Thanks for offering to answer questions! I'm on POAm this Saturday (9-1) also. I can't believe it is finally almost here!!

What time was your cabin ready on the first day?

I can't seem to get the restaurants "situation" figured out. Is something open all the time?

Were you able to see any lava at night from the ship? I know it is no longer flowing into the ocean but could you see it at all?

Thanks!

Our flight did not arrive until 3 PM, shuttle took us straight to the ship, spent around 10 minutes checking in and went straight to the room. No problem. Need to make reservations the 1st day for dinners. Buffet is open most of the time. Diner is always open. Yes we could see lava from the ship, however we wern't that close.

Have a wonderful time. Wish I were going again.

When we sailed in March the rooms were ready between 2 and 3.

We were only able to make reservations in those venues that required them the day before starting at 7 am. pnones were jammed so walking up to the front desk was easier to do if thats your thing at 7 am. Due to being in port every day, and I think the lack of staff, the food areas are on a limited schedule from previous cruises that had sea days. Check the daily schedule closely since the hours change. The more casual areas are open the most but the buffet is NOT open all day.

• 3 weeks later...

We were able to board the ship around 1:00. Since we were in honolulu two dayds before we took the excursion to Pearl Harbor from the Marriot. It was very good, picked up our luggage and us at 7:00 a.m. then brought us to the boat - you could have lunch and walk around etc., (dont forget to pack a swimsuit if you want to get into the pool) since your luggage and room won't be ready til 2 or 3.

Yes we at the at the Lazy Z - excellent food and service! We tried to make a reservation but they were booked - someone mentioned just to go down there and ask they might let you in - and they did, as they hate to turn people away! Little Italy was good although our server needed a bit of smoothing around her rough edges. The Jefferson (French) restaurant was also excellent. Wonderful intimate atmosphere!

Hi - we aren't sailing till next June but I already feel the excitement.:D 1.)Did or does anyone have an Aft cabin? If so did you like it?

2.)Is the ship pretty empty on Luau night. We are going to be in Honolulu two days prior to sailing and thought we'd go to one there and then be able to relax and have a better chance at the Bistro for our Romantic dinner that night.

3.)Has anyone heard of or used the Roberts Tours company?

4.)One more is there any rule about taking breakfst from the Aloha Cafe in the morning back to your cabins to enjoy on the balcony???? :rolleyes:

Thanks!!

Hi, now that I've experienced POAm (9-1) I will jump in for the last 2 questions! We did not have an aft cabin, so can't answer that. It did seem to be easier to make restaurant reservation on luau night, although I wouldn't say the ship was empty. We did not use Roberts but from what I've read they are a reputable company. And no problems taking food to your room/balcony...a great way to enjoy your balcony!

There ARE hairdryers and they work great. Ours was quite heavy with lots of blowing action.

Have a great trip!

We did not take home pineapples this time, but did so years ago. They will sell them to you at the airport in nice little travel packs that you can carry on. They were 3 for $32.00. More expensive than buying at home but much, much tastier!

I am thinking that Dole Plantation may have some program where you can buy from them and pick up at the airport as you leave. You might check into that.

Thanks - NC Roberta I was wondering if anyone was going to respond.

No one has said we enjoyed our breakfast in our room I'm just wondering why?? They do talk about how the room service menu sucks and/or how they never got what they ordered even though they left the order on the door at night I guess pranksters took those !! I'm willing to walk to the Aloha get ehat I want and walk back but though maybe the dinning room police were going to stop me and say you can't take the plates from this area. Ha Ha!!

Archived