excursion attire

Not meaning to start the why can't people dress up debate again. I am willing, if need be, I just have a question. To me you have to consider appropriateness along with comfort and common sense.

I will be doing the usual ports on my Balic cruise next July and keep reading the weather can be variable. Wear layers, prepare for rain, etc. which is pretty much what I did in Alaska. The thing is Alaska is casual and I wasn't visiting any churches. I may not visit many this go round either.

My question is, I have two outfits that are very versitile and comfortable and work best with my walking shoes. They are I suppose you would say 'jogging suits' but they are very stylish. Not something I would work out in at all. One is velour and I can dress it up or down depending on the shirt I put under it which is also good depending on the weather for layers, and the other is a capri set that is dressier. With both I can pack one of those tiny fold up rain ponchos in my excursions bag.

As I said, both offer comfort, can be layered, and work well with my walking shoes which my skirt outfits don't. If I am simply going to museums, the sculpture garden, shopping, and walking about town are these too casual for the ports. What about in churches if I opt for one? I'm not huge on visiting them and sometimes simply look at the buildings from the outside. Again, no disrespect, I simply get cathedraled out quickly.

Please don't blast me for not wanting to dress up. I will if I should. I try to always respect the customs of the country I am in. It's important to me. That's why I'm asking before hand. I simply like these outfits and they are very practical and versitile. Are they appropriate? If not, they stay home and don't take up room in the suitcase.

LOL - considering some of the getups I have seen on tourists over the years, I think the outfits you are describing would be fine.

Most cathedrals and other religious places have no restrictions. Some do request that ladies shoulders be covered, and some ask that knees be also! It is rare that a church asks ladies to cover their heads, and if they do scarves are usually available.

As long as you are not in short shorts and a halter top you will be fine!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived