Cake Confusion

KSIRBY

Hello All,

Okay, if anyone has any insight on this, please enlighten me.

I’m getting married on a Royal Caribbean ship with 45 guests. As I began my planning, I noticed that Royal Romance’s cake guidelines began to change. First they offered a multi-tiered cake, and then only single layer round cakes - fine.

According to their written guidelines (which they told me can change at any time) a 10” wedding cake is for parties of 50 to 150. However, when I spoke to an actual representative, a 10” cake now only serves 35 people. Then I was told that the 6" cake that comes with the ceremony package feeds 10 people by one person, and then another told me that it’s only enough for the bride and groom. Of course, this person then suggested that I add another cake. I haven’t been able to get a consistent and straight answer from anyone.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just seriously missing something here.

But anyway, can somone please tell me what’s the difference between the old and new 10” cake, and exactly how many people do these cakes (6”, 8”, 10”) actually serve???

Thanks!

Here is what Robert said to me in email when we were discussing cake toppers. It looks like they add layers of cake when there are more people (which does seem odd, but it's RR after all!)

I hope this helps....

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 2:24 PM

To: 'Sproul, SA Stacey @ IS'

Subject: RE: cake topper

Stacey,

When speaking of cakes, the diameter is the surface area of the cake. The height of the cake depends on how many people the cake is going to feed, so I can't give you an exact figure as to how many inches in height it's going to be. For the cake topper, you don't necessarily need to know the height of the cake, only the diameter, which is between 6-9 inches. And again, be sure to remember that it (cake topper) weighs no more then two to four ounces.

Thanks for the info Sas80!

RR sent me a picture of the 6" cake, which is just a small plain white cake and said that anything else would just be a larger version in diameter - not the height. So I guess that's why they're trying to encourage me to get another cake.

Did anyone have a situation where they did not have enough cake, or did everyone have cake left over after the reception?

My wedding was on Celebrity. I ordered 2 tier cake for 25 people (exact number of my group) with buffet for 2 hours (photo attached). We could only finish about 1/3 of the buffet food and half of the cake.

I read many posting saying cakes were too large and saw photos of giant white cakes. I asked for a light green cake with white decoration. It was much smaller (I didn't want a giant one) and very pretty!

I went back and forth about cake & cake decorations with TWE. 2 tier cake is for min 35 ppl at $6 pp (I believe) and TWE first said Celebrity can't make a 2 tier for 25 ppl. So I ordered 1 tier at $4 pp. Later my bill said it's 2 tiered and they only charged for $4X25ppl. The bride&groom cake became 2nd tier.

When I entered the room, first thing I noticed was the pretty cake and my family still talk about the cake!

If RC doesn't do tiered cakes, what about many different tiny cakes? I recently went to a wedding where there were about 10 different tiny cakes (all different colors, flavor). Very cute! I don't know if RC would accommodate this request.

If you do cake cutting after lunch like I did, your guests would probably be very full already.

cake.jpg.e857b8076b6d648985f6d6a4e4e19093.jpg

We had sixty guests, but ended up ordering cake to serve only 45. And we had plenty of cake leftover. We also ended up with two cakes. First there was heart shaped cake for the bride and groom -- which supposedly would feed only two people. But a "normal" serving size would have strechted to at least 8. We didn't even cut the smaller cake, and took it back to our cabin to nibble on for the rest of the week.

Archived