Montreal - Hilton Bonaventure and parking

Hi there,

I was hoping Ephraim and others might be able to help me. I am using points to get a room at the Hilton Bonaventure hotel for 2 nights in October. This will be my first time in Montreal and was wondering how this hotel is in terms of quality, location, etc.? I have read that it is located very near the city center, but is quite a way from Old Montreal. Are there many things to see within walking distance? I will also have a rental car and don't want to pay the expensive parking rates at the hotel. Are there any nearby parking garages or lots that have more reasonable prices?

Thank you!

Hi there,

I was hoping Ephraim and others might be able to help me. I am using points to get a room at the Hilton Bonaventure hotel for 2 nights in October. This will be my first time in Montreal and was wondering how this hotel is in terms of quality, location, etc.? I have read that it is located very near the city center, but is quite a way from Old Montreal. Are there many things to see within walking distance? I will also have a rental car and don't want to pay the expensive parking rates at the hotel. Are there any nearby parking garages or lots that have more reasonable prices?

Thank you!

It's a very *special* building that it is in. I'll try to describe it. Place Bonaventure was built as an exposition hall. It's where we go (or used to go) for shows like the car show, the boating show or even the home show. It has a small mall attached to it. From the bottom of the building, the trains run through it on the way out of the central train station (underground), then the metro runs through it, then you have the shopping and exposition area, then you have office space and finally you have the hotel at the top (with a rooftop pool.).

I created a map for you at http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=114019014064681084469.000438e8f43725ed99d5b&ll=45.500752,-73.564947&spn=0.010407,0.014956&t=h&z=16&*****=1

There are PLENTY of parking lots around, but inexpensive parking in the area would likely be a miracle. That part of Montreal is just like Manhattan, a car is a detriment to life.

Strictly speaking, it is just blocks away from Old Montreal, but that's mostly toward the commercial side of Old Montreal, not the touristy part. I marked where Notre Dame and Place Jacques Cartier are, they are the two big tourist areas, plus around the port where the science centre is.

The location is very convenient, especially in the winter, since it's directly connected to the underground city (if you know how to get there). In the far south-west corner there is a passageway underground to the Central Train Station and from there you can get across to Place Ville-Marie walking straight through the train station and from there, to the Eaton Centre. In Montreal, the St-Lawrence is always south, regardless of what the map tells you, east is toward Pointe-aux-Trembles, north is toward the back river and west is toward Vaudreuil-Dorion. If you look at the map, the far east end of the downtown area is St-Laurent (St-Lawrence street) which is the street that divides east from west in Montreal (and it travels from north to south, obviously, as far as Montrealers are concerned.) Remember, in Montreal... the sun is wrong, don't rely on it. It doesn't set in the west in Montreal!

I hope that helps.

Archived