Volcano Sailbys on any of the Prides?

luv2bnsun

Can anyone tell me if any of the Prides are doing the volcano sailbys? At one time the lava had stopped flowing and I believe I read on these boards that the ships were not doing the evening cruise by of the volcano - now that it is producing lava again, are the ships doing the evening cruise of the volcano? Thanks for any info you have.

On the 8/19/07 Pride of Aloha we did sail by and you could see glowing red in the clouds. No lava to the ocean though. I have attached a picture of what we saw. The picture is a little blurry as my camera used a 20 second exposure to get the shot and the boat was moving. But it is still pretty cool.

DSC_1945_edit.jpg.458adbbcec68354d0b0bd83568092d0a.jpg

We cruised aboard the POH in March and the Captain turned the ship completely around so all cabins had a view of the lava flow. It was prior to some recent earthquakes but the lava did flow all the way into the ocean. It was an amazing sight and smell as the molten lava hit the water. We couldn't hear the Cultural counselor (for lack of a better word) give her entire talk but could hear her song as she chanted as the ship turned. It was an amazing evening.

• Administrators
Thank you so much for the map of the lava flow. That really helped me get a better perspective. I guess lots of things can change because we are not sailing for 7 mos. yet.

Exactly. Just hang in there -- if there's lava flowing into the ocean, or even a pretty show of incandescense reflected on the clouds, I'm sure your ship will take you by it. The Father's Day earthquakes that changed the ocean lava flow happened three weeks before our cruise. We were disappointed (of course), but still had a fabulous day visiting Volcanoes National Park -- it was so wonderful the Big Island is now our top priority for a return land-based visit. I do hope for the sake of residents of communities in the potential line of lava flows (look at Ka'ohe on that map) that it heads away from them. We bought a video while at VNP that showed what happened to the town of Kalapana in the '90s. What we as visitors consider "must sees" can also be tragic -- nobody dictates to Madame Pele.

Archived