Do you prepay your tips now or do they put it on your S & S Card?

kiraryker

I see on my Carnival acct. that I can prepay my tips now as part of my cruise bill or do you wait until you get on the ship and they take it out of your Sign & Sail acct??

Does it matter either way?

I Prepay ours, get it out of the way. Just one less thing on my S&S card.

I see on my Carnival acct. that I can prepay my tips now as part of my cruise bill or do you wait until you get on the ship and they take it out of your Sign & Sail acct??

I actually wait for s&s card. This cruise not sure yet d/t I am thinking of flying in a day early. So I am still weighing out options financially.:)

If you prepay and the service is seriously lacking can you still remove a portion of the tips?

I've always left the tips to be added to the S&S account. I have never had them take the tips off (Who can argue over $10.00pp per day for not having to cook or clean for the duration of the trip while your eating fantastic food) and I have always tipped extra to those who went above and beyond to make our trip fantastic.

I do however prepay my shore excursions to make sure we are able to do what we want in ports rather than risk them filling up if we wait til we get on the ship to book them...

If you prepay and the service is seriously lacking can you still remove a portion of the tips?

No.

I always have tips on the sail and sign. Have never had to remove tips but would like the option if service is terrible.

Payd:)

Hmm, I don't see that button.... I purchased my cruise from *****, not Carnival; I suppose that has something to do with it.... I think I'm going to call and see if they can set me up to prepay....

Oh - yes I booked directly thru Carnival so it is on their web site.

When you prepay tips you will lose money:

1. If you put them on a credit card and don't pay it in full every month - you'll be paying interest on them from the day you pay until the end of your cruise (when they would've been charged).

2. If you put them on a credit card and DO pay it in full - you're taking money out of your bank account that could be earning interest until you sail.

3. If the service is awful on board you can't reduce the tips.

1. If you put them on a credit card and don't pay it in full every month - you'll be paying interest on them from the day you pay until the end of your cruise (when they would've been charged).

2. If you put them on a credit card and DO pay it in full - you're taking money out of your bank account that could be earning interest until you sail.

3. If the service is awful on board you can't reduce the tips.

You put it perfectly.

That goes for anything. Anytime you can pay later vs paying now, it's like getting a discount, thanks to inflation.

Who says its got to be a credit card? No interest on a debit card and if you're really concerned about the scant anount of interest earned on a couple hundred dollars over a few week period then maybe a lavish cruise isnt for you in the first place. For me I guess the only arguement that holds water is the ability to remove the tips in the event of poor service. The one exception I could see is if youre paying several months in advance, then I can see your point, but I cant imagine why anyone would prepay tips months or possibly years in advance.

I prepaid the tips for my upcoming cruise in April 2008 but I haven't actually paid them yet. The tips will be paid along with the balance of my fare in Jan. So as far as losing interest on that $$ by taking it out of the bank, I'm only losing 3 mo. of interest on a few hundred dollars for the convenience of not having to worry about it post-cruise.

The reason I prepaid the tips was because there was a price drop after I booked that just about equaled the amount of the tips:D .

Archived