Snorkling Question?

purplejc5

DH and I want to do a snorkling excursion with Capt. Marvins in Grand Caymen. I wondered about the snorkle equipment. Do you rent this? Or is it included in the price of the excursion. Is it new equipment? and then we keep it, throw it away, or what? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

DH and I want to do a snorkling excursion with Capt. Marvins in Grand Caymen. I wondered about the snorkle equipment. Do you rent this? Or is it included in the price of the excursion. Is it new equipment? and then we keep it, throw it away, or what? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I haven't used Captain Marvin's, but I'm sure they do it the same as the ones I have used. They have snorkel equipment for you to use for free. You don't keep it or throw it away. The next boat full of people use it. We always bring our own. :)

I haven't used Captain Marvin's, but I'm sure they do it the same as the ones I have used. They have snorkel equipment for you to use for free. You don't keep it or throw it away. The next boat full of people use it. We always bring our own. :)

And the boat full of people before you did to......:eek: :eek:

• Administrators

It's not one-time-use gear (on any snorkel trip I've ever been on, anywhere, including Grand Cayman, though I haven't done Captain Marvin's). The gear is included in the excursion price, and yes, it's reused from trip to trip. Some tour operators are better than others about sanitizing. :eek: The ones that seem to take it seriously usually offer a large plastic trash can filled with a bleach-water mixture for you to dump the gear in at the end of the trip. Later they dump the water, rinse, let the gear air dry, and reissue it to the next group. Bleach certainly does work on germs -- but just the thought is pretty ew! Even if this is your first snorkel trip, and you know that if you don't like it you may never snorkel again, I'd say bring your own. Go shop now -- snorkel gear is on clearance sale everywhere I've been the last couple of weeks, as it's end-of-season.

The first time I snorkeled was when I was almost 60 - and I didn't buy my own. I wanted to try it, but never thought I'd go again. We spent our anniversary in Aruba at an all-inclusive and they supplied all the equipment. I was also leary about other people using it, but I checked out the "shop" that you pick them up at. Very sanitary and all the stuff was cleaned and sanitized in a special solution. I LOVED it so much that I did buy my own for this cruise, and hope to use it quite often. I didn't buy the foot flippers though - too bulky to pack. I'll rent those. So....I'd trusts the rental places - they must have health standards.

After being on many snorkel/dive excursions, I will never rent again. The quick swish in the solution for steralization is not enough time to kill any germs. You must soak them for a minimum of an hour to really work. If nothing else, buy your own snorkel.

I read a thread here quite a while ago and someone recommended "Body Glove". I got mine at a Bass Pro Shop for about $35 - $40. Put it up to your face and breath in through your nose only, with mouth closed.

It should suck up tight to your face. This is how you

can tell if it has a good seal;) Husband laughed at me

when I did this because I kinda paniced. Really felt like it was gonna pull my eyeballs out :p Was funny after:o It was even funnier when I bought one for my daughter and then saw her do the same thing I did - LMAO

I bought a 100% submersible dry top snorkle. You can go under-water with it and it closes off at the top. It's made by "Body Glove", and mine is designed for a woman's face and is a pretty aqua blue. Fit's great, and it also has a wide piece on the back of the head strap so as not to tangle longer hair. Good luck (and you're welcome).:D

Archived