Photos from 7/9 TP cruise

mountainhouse

Thanks Mountainhouse for posting your photos for all of us to see. You took some really great and unusual shots--very nice! Maupiti looks lovely.

Questions--I saw you stayed at the Le Mandarin the night before your cruise. What did you think of it? What floor were you on? Would you recommend anything to others who will be staying there? What time did you arrive from the airport after landing?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

--Kathy

Thanks for the kind words.

We were on the top floor. The staff was quite friendly. Sometimes, if they seem a bit stand offish, I think it's just that a particular individual's English might not be good. Chinese restaurant there was quite good, but again, keep your French dictionary handy :) . I would class the place about like a Holiday Inn Express. I took the photo of the room, because we thought it was quite nice. Weren't expecting that after reading so-so reviews.

DW and I travel to understand cultures better. Staying right in Papeete gives you a look at another side of Polynesia. Yes, it's a big city, it's not that clean, but trying to make your way around is part of the experience. People were generally friendly. Shopping was fun. Heck, I like cars, so I even kicked tires at the local Renault dealer. :) US$85,000 for a new 350Z. :eek:

Hope you enjoy your stay in Papeete.

Thanks Mountainhouse for the info on the Le Mandarin. As a small group we are taking 4 rooms there and based upon your photo and comments I am feeling good about it.

What time did you get to the hotel after flying in? It looks like you went to the Roulettes after checking in--we were thinking about doing that too.

Thanks again....Kathy

Wow, wonderful pics. Few questions.

May I ask the rate for the b and b post cruise? Looks wonderful! What was the deal with meals and was it difficult to get back to Papeete to fly home?

Also, what type of room did you have on the ship?

JEALOUS!

• 2 weeks later...

We also stayed at Le Mandarin and considered it a good experience. We figured the ship was going to be our resort, so we wanted to stay somewhere local to get a feel for the island.

I wasn't sure how large a standard room would be, so we booked a "mini-suite." It looked pretty much the same as yours, only more floor space with a couple of extra single beds. Our room and bath were spotless, and the room actually grew on me as I realized how nice the wood was.

I had to laugh because I read a comment on Trip Advisor from someone complaining about hearing a rooster crowing early in the morning. Sure enough, we heard it too.....but after talking to people in our Cruise Critic group who had stayed at the resorts in Tahiti and Moorea, they also heard crowing in the morning. Turns out, these islands are loaded with chickens.....and roosters.....and you see and hear them wherever you go.

Le Mandarin doesn't look like much from the outside....especially at night when we arrived....but for us, it turned out to be a good place to stay.

Archived