Just back from the Eastern Caribbean (Triumph)

GettingOutOfIndy

I just got off the Triumph this morning, so I thought I'd post my review.

Please keep in mind that this is only my opinion, as I'm sure plenty of others had better experiences.

This was my 2nd cruise, first with Carnival.

I showed up hoping to have a good time, but in the end, I didn't find much good to write home about.

First off, the good: The rooms were larger than my room on Celebrity a couple of years ago, so that was nice. Our dining room wait staff was excellent.

And, our tablemates were great...I made some friends for life!

Now...on with the rest of the review...

Embarkation: Fairly quick and painless. We got there really early (around 10:45 or so). The original check in was pretty quick, but there wasn't a long line at that time, really...so I guess it's hard to gauge. Getting through security was fine. Not much more to say on this.

Getting off the ship/customs: Not bad at all. We chose to disembark with our luggage in hand. I'd say that, in all, once our floor was called, it took us 20 minutes? Not much longer than that for sure.

The food was mediocre at best all the way around. The best part was the lowfat frozen yogurt. Other than that, I thought it was rather poor. The food on the Lido deck had very little variety.

Breakfast: fruit, watery oatmeal, eggs (sometimes watery, sometimes not), bacon, sausage, rolls, cereal, and every other day, they'd rotate pancakes with french toast.

Lunch/Dinner (Lido): The recipes would vary, but ultimately, it was the same. Rice, chicken, rolls, salad and toppings, fruit, and some sort of veggie.

Half the time, the dessert selection was really good, and the other half, not so much. <sigh> If only there would've been a happy medium. I guess there's always the frozen yogurt.

Dinner (Paris Dining Room): Well, the selection varied more there, but the outcome wasn't any better.

There were a couple of good selections though. I enjoyed the chilled Mango Cream, and Chilled cherry cream appetizers. They were offered on different nights. I wasn't so sure at first, but I ended up liking them...kind of like melted ice cream...if you enjoy that sort of thing, which I do.

One other good dinner choice in there was on the alternative dining menu. I can't remember the specific name, but it was the chicken option...grilled chicken and veggies. I rather enjoyed it.

Dining staff (Dining Room): I said it once before, but they were really good...friendly, and always efficient...Marko & Edmundo. If you get them, you're in really good hands.

Sandwich shop: I only ate there once, but I wasn't excited about it. I'd read reviews on the Ruben, so I was all into trying that. IMO, it was nothing special.

Pizza: It is what it is. The "Margharita Pizza" gave me a laugh...nothing more than cheese pizza.

Hamburger/hotdog station: The hotdogs were OK, but the hamburgers/fries I really enjoyed. I didn't try the steak sandwich, but it looked good when others walked by with it.

Asian stop: Didn't try it. And I never saw much of a line. I believe the hours were odd though, so maybe that had something to do with it.?.?

Non-Alcoholic Drinks (Lido): Very poor. Tea, fruit punch, water, lemonade, and something else. Anyway, most of the machines didn't get the proper mix of concentrate and water, so 9 times out of 10, the drinks were sugary sweet. We did find one good machine, but naturally, that one broke halfway through, and was never fixed.

Alcholic drinks: meh. I'm not much of a drinker, so you can't really go by me. I think I had one drink on ship. I, personally, can't justify spending that large amount of money on one drink. I had a Mojito, and I believe it was around $6 (small, without the souvenir glass)

Entertainment: I only went to a couple of shows. One was a dance/musical show. It was good, but not spectacular.

The other was the kareoke show on the last night. The winners throughout the week performed, so that was fun to see.

Piano bar: I spent a little time there on the last night. Nice little joint. I wish I would've found it sooner.

Things I didn't spend much time on: shopping on board, gambling, dance club, game room.

Cleanliness: Well, our room steward was very sweet. But other than that...for a 7-day cruise, it would be nice if, at least once, our bed sheets were changed, and our bathroom actually cleaned with cleaning supplies. Each night we got clean towels, but honestly, I think that's where it ended.

Throughout the ship, I noticed a very pungent sewer smell. I've seen this mentioned a few times on this site, and they were right on. Some spots were worst than others.

The public bathrooms...I'm not big on public bathrooms to begin with, but these were nasty. Sure they could always be worse, but they stunk to high heaven. I think I've seen cleaner port-o-potties on construction sites!

Pools/hot tubs: I only spent time in the main ones one day. There were too many kids to count, and no - to very little parental control/attention. I get that parents want a little down time, but they did choose to bring them on the trip with them, so it would've been nice if they'd taken a little more interest in what was going on so total strangers wouldn't have to. There were times I was scared something would happen to one of the little ones, and no one would notice until it was too late.

I took this trip at this time of the year thinking it was too close to the school year, so there would be very few kids...wrong. Not a good thing.

"Fun Ship": I didn't find this to be the case, really. The music tended to repeat itself far too often. The dance routines on the Lido deck often went on too long...the same dance with a few select moves would go on and on and on...

One night, they had "Mexican Night..." or something like that. Other than a few dishes (the prerequisite tacos and nachos), I saw nothing Mexican about it....no Mexican music, no people dressed in costumes, etc. Very disappointing.

Staff outside the dining & state rooms: Not the friendliest group. Perhaps I was used to the attention on Celebrity, but I didn't find them to be overly accomodating. They were just OK.

Ports: In short, Half Moon Cay: Nice beach, and the cookout/buffet was OK...typical of the food on the ship. The Eco Lagoon tour wasn't so great. I believe it was around $35, and I'd love to have that money back.

St. Thomas: We took a cab downtown for shopping because we were told at the dock that the shopping was much cheaper. The cab was $4 each way/pp, but in the end, we found the shopping near the port to be sufficient and comparable. We also took "The Best of St. Thomas tour" which lasted a good share of the time. The tour guide was just OK (he spent more time being interested in the girl in the front seat with him than on the other people on the tram), but overall, the tour was good, and I thought it was worth the money.

USVI was nice, and I hear St. John was beautiful. I've heard people say they'd love to go back. There are shore excursions there, so perhaps that would be a good choice as well.

Puerto Rico: We took the Rainforest tour that lasted 4-4.5 hours. Very nice tour, and our guide was GREAT!!! He said repeatedly that he truly loved his job, and it was very obvious. He was full of very interesting information, about both the rainforest and PR in general. Worth every penny.

Shopping was just OK. Perhaps is was the heat, the feeling of being slightly rushed after the tour, or both...but I wasn't overly impressed. It just another touristy location.

Grand Turk: Let me preface this by saying that, I work with a guy that said this was his "favorite port!!" But, I didn't agree. Because I have such fair skin, I didn't spend much time on the beaches in these different places. On Grand Turk, that's the main attraction. Other than that, there was very limited shopping.

I had friends who took shore excursions like scuba and snorkling, but I don't recall them saying anything remarkable about them.

Also, I heard random comments about the beach. Apparently, many people were more impressed with Half Moon Cay's beach, and less impressed with Grand Turk's.

Summation: Like I said, I believe there are plenty of people who had a great time...I just wasn't one of them. I guess you'll have to draw your own conclusions. But, I wouldn't do another Carnival cruise...no doubt about it.

It's getting very late, so I'm going to wrap this up. I realize this was a long review, and probably has plenty of grammatical/spelling errors throughout...go easy on me. It's been a long day!

Hopefully this will be helpful for some.

I'm sure I've left out some crucial information, so if you have any questions, just ask.

By the way...sorry if this posts twice. Apparently, I spent too much time typing, and the system kicked me out. :(

Sounds like you might be comparing Carnival to Celebrity, the only other cruise you've taken. That's like apples and oranges....maybe you should also be comparing the price you paid for each.

You get what you pay for on Carnival...and for the most part, it's a pretty terrific deal. If food and personal attention are that important, you might be better sticking with a smaller more exclusive cruiseline. I think Carnival does a good job with preparing food for 3000 people everyday.

And maybe if you had a bit more experience with cruising, you'd know summer cruises are usually loaded with children. And parents who don't pay any attention can be onboard ANY ship of ANY cruiseline.

Did you speak with your cabin steward about your complaints? I have a hard time believing your sheets were not changed at all? I've never had a problem with any cabin steward that couldn't be fixed with a two minute conversation or even a little note left in the room with a request.

Sounds like you might just have picked the wrong ship/cruiseline for your taste...I've sailed the Triumph twice and had wonderful time both times.

Maybe you have champagne tastes....and a beer budget? If that's the case, don't bash the beer!

I am sorry you were so disappointed. I have sailed her 4 times and going on my fifth in about a month.

What was your cabin #?

In reading your post, it didn't sound like you really encountered real problems except for the cabin maintenance and smell...thats why I ask your cabin #. And definitely let someone know about the sheets and overall maintenance of your cabin...you can't do anything now. I have NEVER had a complaint about my cabin steward in all my cruises; they become my "friend" for a week and do ANYTHING I have ever asked...But I asked;)

I have heard that Celebrity has "gourmet" quality food. Carnival doesn't make that claim so I agree its "apples to oranges"..."Ritz Carlton to Hilton" ( i know that will stimulate some chat...last time I compared Carnival to a Marriott that I stayed in for a business trip; I was blasted):rolleyes:

Carnival is a great value and if you keep your expectations relative...its a great vacation. IMHO:p

We're taking our first Carnival cruise next week after having cruised with Celebrity (once) and Princess (twice). We were initially concerned that we'd find Princess a step down from Celebrity in terms of dining and service, but were very pleasantly surprised to find ourselves preferring Princess. We're going into our Carnival cruise with an open mind and the expectation of a nice vacation. We don't expect to have the same result as with a cruise that cost double the fare; nevertheless we do expect clean and pleasant surrounding and appetizing meals. We'll see! But we are hoping that our Carnival experience is positive and that we'll be return passengers.

And to a point made above, when traveling anywhere in the summer, expect children. We're retired and can go whenever we want. That's why we cruise when most of them should be in school.

Mary Lou

Thanks for your review. I guess I thought it sounded like you had a nice time even if you said you didn't. Sorry about what you were disapointed with. I have cruised the Triumph twice and had a wonderful time both times and cruising again in Jan. on her. Some of my family had cruised on a different sailing than we did and found her to be a dirty and non friendly staffed ship. I guess maybe it's hit and miss with some weeks or the expectations people have. Happy travels wherever you may end up next time.

We're taking our first Carnival cruise next week after having cruised with Celebrity (once) and Princess (twice). We were initially concerned that we'd find Princess a step down from Celebrity in terms of dining and service, but were very pleasantly surprised to find ourselves preferring Princess. We're going into our Carnival cruise with an open mind and the expectation of a nice vacation. We don't expect to have the same result as with a cruise that cost double the fare; nevertheless we do expect clean and pleasant surrounding and appetizing meals. We'll see! But we are hoping that our Carnival experience is positive and that we'll be return passengers.

And to a point made above, when traveling anywhere in the summer, expect children. We're retired and can go whenever we want. That's why we cruise when most of them should be in school.

Mary Lou

Carnival cruising has always been great experiences for us and we think about trying another cruiseline mainly because I need something different. So I keep reading reviews comparing cruiselines and Mary Lou give us your thoughts when you return after your first Carnival cruise. I've been on many and think you'll love Carnival like I do and wish you a fantastic cruise.

Cassandra

Mary Lou

Mary Lou,

I've been reading many reviews the last few months also. We are going on the Legend this Nov. after 2 Princess cruises. I asked the TA if he thought I would be disappointed and he thought it would actually be a "step up" for the kids (13 & 11). I can't say I'm a loyal fan to any line. I choose a ship based on itineray, price and reading reviews! It's been too long between cruises for me (other than Princess) to make an honest comparison. The only line I probably wouldn't consider again is Costa, just didn't care for it. By the way, I read lots of complaints about sewer smells on the Crown before we went and even though it may have been there, we never smelled anything.

I sorry the OP didn't have a great time. I'm hoping to enjoy my Carnival experience, hope you do too!

Sorry your cruise wasn't as good as you wanted it to be. I love Carnival, but it is clearly not for everyone (that is why there are so many other cruise lines). Sounds like a mass market line isn't a good fit for you.

Now that we are not tied to the school schedule, we will only be cruising middle September (when I am certain all the schools are in session ~some don't start until after Labor Day) through early February ~~avoiding all dates that include school holidays. It is shame that people have to avoid dates when school is out, but that is just the reality of our society today.

Personally, I believe it is the Carnival clientele that will derail us from sailing with them before it will be their product. IMHO, it is the best product for the money sailing today.

What? you didn't find the made to order omlets for breakfast? I have one or two for every breakfast and they are really good.

They will also fry your eggs anyway you want them as well. Sounds like you missed the best part of breakfast.

We're taking our first Carnival cruise next week . . . .

We're going into our Carnival cruise with an open mind and the expectation of a nice vacation . . . .

But we are hoping that our Carnival experience is positive and that we'll be return passengers . . . .

Mary Lou: You and Dan are going into this vacation with the type of attitude every cruise line would like their passenger to have. Kudos to you both for that!!

That being said, I hope you'll have a wonderful time, with terrific weather, delicious meals, smooth-as-glass seas, fun excursions, and lots of relaxation when you need it.

OK, selfishly, I get to benefit from those, too, if you have them.:) Really looking forward to meeting you both in a few days. So here's my challenge: I dare you to have as good a time as I intend to. Wait, I double-dog dare you!!:D

See ya soon!

Thank you for the post. I didn't find your review harsh, but I did find it trying to compare 2 different cruise lines. No, Carnival is not for everyone. I have travelled on Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean. I love the 3 of them, but would never compare them. I choose the cruise line based upon the type of vacation I'm looking for. Each has something special to offer in their class.

I've been on the Triumph a couple of times and I will be returning to her again in 27 days. I love everything about her for what I am looking for. I went Platinum on her in May 2006 and the perks are amazing.

The only other thing for future reference, and I am not being critical, is the time of year you choose to cruise. I personally shy away from cruising when the kids are on vacation. I truly enjoy my cruises when the kids are in school. I choose not to be among the mainstream during peak cruising season unless I am taking one of my school aged nieces or nephews. There definitely is a big difference on all cruise lines based upon the time of year you sail.

Not so sure it's a "carnival" thing. I've sailed the Triumph and really wasn't thrilled (cleanliness, enthousiasm of staff..lacking etc.) But I've sailed other Carnival Ships and found them wonderful. I think a lot has to do with their individual management teams, maybe. Because I have found very different qualities of service on different Carnival Ships. I see the same "trends" from the various reviews I have read, certain ships friendlier, cleaner, etc. You definatly can't beat the "value" for the price you pay on Carnival. So try different ships and see!

I view each cruise, whether it's Carnival, RCCL, NCL or whoever as an individual experience and try to evaluate it on it's own merits and not compare it to other lines, ships etc. Bottom line, my vacation is what I expect and make it out to be!!!! (usually great!!:D )

I am curious as to what cabin you had. We sailed her in January and had no issues at all; we are sailing her again this January and want to make sure we don't pick a bad cabin....if there is such a thing.

Sorry Carnival did not live up to your expectations, not every cruiseline is for every individual. Thanks for the review, I thought it was very fair and open.

I just got off the Triumph this morning, so I thought I'd post my review.

Please keep in mind that this is only my opinion, as I'm sure plenty of others had better experiences.

This was my 2nd cruise, first with Carnival.

I showed up hoping to have a good time, but in the end, I didn't find much good to write home about.

First off, the good: The rooms were larger than my room on Celebrity a couple of years ago, so that was nice. Our dining room wait staff was excellent.

And, our tablemates were great...I made some friends for life!

Now...on with the rest of the review...

Embarkation: Fairly quick and painless. We got there really early (around 10:45 or so). The original check in was pretty quick, but there wasn't a long line at that time, really...so I guess it's hard to gauge. Getting through security was fine. Not much more to say on this.

Getting off the ship/customs: Not bad at all. We chose to disembark with our luggage in hand. I'd say that, in all, once our floor was called, it took us 20 minutes? Not much longer than that for sure.

The food was mediocre at best all the way around. The best part was the lowfat frozen yogurt. Other than that, I thought it was rather poor. The food on the Lido deck had very little variety.

Breakfast: fruit, watery oatmeal, eggs (sometimes watery, sometimes not), bacon, sausage, rolls, cereal, and every other day, they'd rotate pancakes with french toast.

Lunch/Dinner (Lido): The recipes would vary, but ultimately, it was the same. Rice, chicken, rolls, salad and toppings, fruit, and some sort of veggie.

Half the time, the dessert selection was really good, and the other half, not so much. <sigh> If only there would've been a happy medium. I guess there's always the frozen yogurt.

Dinner (Paris Dining Room): Well, the selection varied more there, but the outcome wasn't any better.

There were a couple of good selections though. I enjoyed the chilled Mango Cream, and Chilled cherry cream appetizers. They were offered on different nights. I wasn't so sure at first, but I ended up liking them...kind of like melted ice cream...if you enjoy that sort of thing, which I do.

One other good dinner choice in there was on the alternative dining menu. I can't remember the specific name, but it was the chicken option...grilled chicken and veggies. I rather enjoyed it.

Dining staff (Dining Room): I said it once before, but they were really good...friendly, and always efficient...Marko & Edmundo. If you get them, you're in really good hands.

Sandwich shop: I only ate there once, but I wasn't excited about it. I'd read reviews on the Ruben, so I was all into trying that. IMO, it was nothing special.

Pizza: It is what it is. The "Margharita Pizza" gave me a laugh...nothing more than cheese pizza.

Hamburger/hotdog station: The hotdogs were OK, but the hamburgers/fries I really enjoyed. I didn't try the steak sandwich, but it looked good when others walked by with it.

Asian stop: Didn't try it. And I never saw much of a line. I believe the hours were odd though, so maybe that had something to do with it.?.?

Non-Alcoholic Drinks (Lido): Very poor. Tea, fruit punch, water, lemonade, and something else. Anyway, most of the machines didn't get the proper mix of concentrate and water, so 9 times out of 10, the drinks were sugary sweet. We did find one good machine, but naturally, that one broke halfway through, and was never fixed.

Alcholic drinks: meh. I'm not much of a drinker, so you can't really go by me. I think I had one drink on ship. I, personally, can't justify spending that large amount of money on one drink. I had a Mojito, and I believe it was around $6 (small, without the souvenir glass)

Entertainment: I only went to a couple of shows. One was a dance/musical show. It was good, but not spectacular.

The other was the kareoke show on the last night. The winners throughout the week performed, so that was fun to see.

Piano bar: I spent a little time there on the last night. Nice little joint. I wish I would've found it sooner.

Things I didn't spend much time on: shopping on board, gambling, dance club, game room.

Cleanliness: Well, our room steward was very sweet. But other than that...for a 7-day cruise, it would be nice if, at least once, our bed sheets were changed, and our bathroom actually cleaned with cleaning supplies. Each night we got clean towels, but honestly, I think that's where it ended.

Throughout the ship, I noticed a very pungent sewer smell. I've seen this mentioned a few times on this site, and they were right on. Some spots were worst than others.

The public bathrooms...I'm not big on public bathrooms to begin with, but these were nasty. Sure they could always be worse, but they stunk to high heaven. I think I've seen cleaner port-o-potties on construction sites!

Pools/hot tubs: I only spent time in the main ones one day. There were too many kids to count, and no - to very little parental control/attention. I get that parents want a little down time, but they did choose to bring them on the trip with them, so it would've been nice if they'd taken a little more interest in what was going on so total strangers wouldn't have to. There were times I was scared something would happen to one of the little ones, and no one would notice until it was too late.

I took this trip at this time of the year thinking it was too close to the school year, so there would be very few kids...wrong. Not a good thing.

"Fun Ship": I didn't find this to be the case, really. The music tended to repeat itself far too often. The dance routines on the Lido deck often went on too long...the same dance with a few select moves would go on and on and on...

One night, they had "Mexican Night..." or something like that. Other than a few dishes (the prerequisite tacos and nachos), I saw nothing Mexican about it....no Mexican music, no people dressed in costumes, etc. Very disappointing.

Staff outside the dining & state rooms: Not the friendliest group. Perhaps I was used to the attention on Celebrity, but I didn't find them to be overly accomodating. They were just OK.

Ports: In short, Half Moon Cay: Nice beach, and the cookout/buffet was OK...typical of the food on the ship. The Eco Lagoon tour wasn't so great. I believe it was around $35, and I'd love to have that money back.

St. Thomas: We took a cab downtown for shopping because we were told at the dock that the shopping was much cheaper. The cab was $4 each way/pp, but in the end, we found the shopping near the port to be sufficient and comparable. We also took "The Best of St. Thomas tour" which lasted a good share of the time. The tour guide was just OK (he spent more time being interested in the girl in the front seat with him than on the other people on the tram), but overall, the tour was good, and I thought it was worth the money.

USVI was nice, and I hear St. John was beautiful. I've heard people say they'd love to go back. There are shore excursions there, so perhaps that would be a good choice as well.

Puerto Rico: We took the Rainforest tour that lasted 4-4.5 hours. Very nice tour, and our guide was GREAT!!! He said repeatedly that he truly loved his job, and it was very obvious. He was full of very interesting information, about both the rainforest and PR in general. Worth every penny.

Shopping was just OK. Perhaps is was the heat, the feeling of being slightly rushed after the tour, or both...but I wasn't overly impressed. It just another touristy location.

Grand Turk: Let me preface this by saying that, I work with a guy that said this was his "favorite port!!" But, I didn't agree. Because I have such fair skin, I didn't spend much time on the beaches in these different places. On Grand Turk, that's the main attraction. Other than that, there was very limited shopping.

I had friends who took shore excursions like scuba and snorkling, but I don't recall them saying anything remarkable about them.

Also, I heard random comments about the beach. Apparently, many people were more impressed with Half Moon Cay's beach, and less impressed with Grand Turk's.

Summation: Like I said, I believe there are plenty of people who had a great time...I just wasn't one of them. I guess you'll have to draw your own conclusions. But, I wouldn't do another Carnival cruise...no doubt about it.

It's getting very late, so I'm going to wrap this up. I realize this was a long review, and probably has plenty of grammatical/spelling errors throughout...go easy on me. It's been a long day!

Hopefully this will be helpful for some.

I'm sure I've left out some crucial information, so if you have any questions, just ask.

By the way...sorry if this posts twice. Apparently, I spent too much time typing, and the system kicked me out. :(

Good review, welcome to Walmart.

Every cruise is great one!!!! Every cruiseline is great!!! Just put me in the on any ship, going anywhere, with any food (I'll get something else if I don't like it), kids/no kids, ..... I just LOVE to cruise.

But lately I've picked Carnival a lot because the prices are unbelievalbe compared to the other lines. While we enjoyed Disney and Celebrity - paying twice as much for a crusie that is NOT twice the value isn't in my budget anymore. I'd rather take 2 good vacations a year than one with food that's a little better. But that's me. I'm a vacation addict.

First, I am sorry you didn't have a good time.

But...

I guess what I don't understand about posts that say things weren't done in their cabins, did you tell anyone?

If my sheets weren't changed during the week I'd leave a note to please change them. If my bathroom wasn't clean I'd leave a note with the manager.

If my dining room food was bad I'd ask my sever what they recommended and reorder. Food is such a personal thing, I'd rather stab myself with a fork than eat Carnival's frozen yogurt, I think its disgusting. I dislike Carnival's shrimp cocktail but try prying them away from my mom. You'll loose a finger if you try to take my lamb.

The big concerns that you raised that would really bother me too are the sewer smells and the cleanliness of the public bathrooms. Did you voice your concerns with anyone? How did they respond?

I guess for the $57 a day that I am paying for my Triumph cruise in 3 weeks (wooooohhoooooo) I expect to create my own fun and research my trip to make the most of it. If I were paying $200 a day, I'd expect them to do more. Maybe that is the Wal-mart mentality of cruising? I don't know.

I am also wondering what cabin you had. I have a very sensitive sense of smell and NEVER once smelled anything pungent or sewer-like. I would have been complaining from day one about the cleanliness of my cabin if that was an issue. Another point, we don't eat the buffet. We were in the London dining room for our cruise. I think the next time I'm on the Triumph (November) I'll try to get the same dining room.

Thanks for your honest opinion of your cruise! I'm sorry Carnival didn't live up to your expectations. I'm not sure if your expectations were excessively high or if your staff was simply no up to par. I have no clue if they ever changed my sheets during either of my cruises. I also have no clue if they used cleaning products or just wiped things up. I was too busy enjoying everything else about the cruise!

Archived