How soon b4 sailing can a ship be chartered?

PoseidonGodoftheSea

I think it would be pretty disappointing if a month before my cruise I find out the ship has been chartered. Can this happen? People have commented that anyone can charter a ship if they are willing to pay the right price. But wouldn't HAL take into account other factors, like not allowing a charter on a 7 day right before/after a grand voyage? Or a 7 day sailing during a holiday period?

I'm also wondering if it is wise to continue to keep my deposit on my other cruise that leaves on the same day just in case of a charter? Mainly because I want at least a suite on the Infinity and they sell out quickly.

All cruise lines covet charters. Most organizations who are considering a charter do so with an option to charter. When this happens, both the cruise line and the charter company sell cabins for the same sailing. As the expiration of the option nears, the charter company has to either commit to the charter or release the bookings. Either way, some passengers are going to be dissappointed.

Generally speaking, the charter company needs time to promote the charter and fill the ship. For this reason, it is unlikely that a charter occur within a few months of sailing. On HAL, charters seem most common 9 or more months into the future.

There can be exceptions, such as what happened when Carnival chartered two of its ships to house the homeless, after Katrina.

If you decide to cover your risk by booking on X, make absolutely certain that you can cancel before final payment date without incuring a cancellation fee from X or your travel agent.

All cruise lines covet charters. Most organizations who are considering a charter do so with an option to charter. When this happens, both the cruise line and the charter company sell cabins for the same sailing. As the expiration of the option nears, the charter company has to either commit to the charter or release the bookings. Either way, some passengers are going to be dissappointed.

Generally speaking, the charter company needs time to promote the charter and fill the ship. For this reason, it is unlikely that a charter occur within a few months of sailing. On HAL, charters seem most common 9 or more months into the future.

There can be exceptions, such as what happened when Carnival chartered two of its ships to house the homeless, after Katrina.

If you decide to cover your risk by booking on X, make absolutely certain that you can cancel before final payment date without incuring a cancellation fee from X or your travel agent.

Excellent info-thanks Hammybee

Archived