Ocho Rios

coder

What are your thoughts on Ocho Rios?? We are looking at the Century for April 9, 2005 but I have heard that Jamaica isn't all that great due to the drug hounding every step you take. Where can we go in Ocho Rios that doesn't have this problem??????

Barb and Ron

Ocho Rios is a fun place to go. You can climb Duns River Falls, also there are a couple of plantations you can tour if you so desire. I have been there twice but have not experienced any drug problems. You will however be hounded by the locals wanting to sell you their wares. All you have to say is no and keep walking and they won't persue you!

They have beautiful mahogony products made there that are good prices if you are looking for gifts.

Enjoy your visit as it is worth going too.

We also used Peat Taylor and he was great and flexible. Did a private tour that lasted about 4 hours that included the Dunns River Falls which was great and toured us around etc. He dropped us off at a jerk bbq place for lunch rather than back to the ship for lunch (it was our request). However, he did have a shopping stop which was at a flea market where the vendors totally freaked out my kids and me too.

If I ever choose a ship that had Ochos Rios on the itinerary again, personally I would stay on the ship. It is a shame though because Jamaica is a beautiful country and know there are some nice spots to see.

We went on a tour to Duns River Falls. Be advised that climbing the falls is very tricky and not for the unfit. I mean you don't have to be athletic but it is not a "walk in the park". Personally it was not worth the time it took to get there. I would either stay on ship or go snorkeling next time. There were some snorkel trips that looked pretty good. And yes the beggers, pushers and salespeople will drive you nuts. It is a very very poor country.

We had done Dunn's River before and also the Fern Gulley. This time, we simply walked from the ship to the Island Village shops which were quite nice. Then we stoped in Margaritaville for awhile. This is what you hoped Jimmy Buffet's other places (Key West and New Orleans) would be like. Talk to the "Birdman" and the DJs. You'll have a good time.

We had done Dunn's River before and also the Fern Gulley. This time, we simply walked from the ship to the Island Village shops which were quite nice. Then we stoped in Margaritaville for awhile. This is what you hoped Jimmy Buffet's other places (Key West and New Orleans) would be like. Talk to the "Birdman" and the DJs. You'll have a good time.

I agree. We spent the day at Island Village and Margarittaville on our last cruise. Island Village has a lot of security so the tourists are not harrassed. I thought the prices were decent there. There's a small beach at Margarittaville as well as a small pool with a swim up bar and a slide. We had a lot of fun there, but watch out - the jerk chicken was so hot I couldn't eat it! I am something of a wimp though :) . Island Village is an easy walk from the ship.

Terri

Was there in June on Century and I think I left my flip flop! Plus I only got half way through the margarita menu! Stayed in the pool for about 4 hours, had a ball! The conch chowder has a pumpkin base and is outstanding! Try some! Jackie took great care of me and never let my glass get empty! I'll be there soon! 1054.gif 12_13_2.gif Who's got the saltshaker? Terri?

Saltshaker is all ready and so am I! We had Sugar for our server, she was great. I can't remember how many different margarittas I had that day, I seem to remember quite a few shots as well, it's amazing I remember the day at all!

Terri

Archived