Luggage arrival when sailing

rookie1920

How long did it take past cruisers to recieve thier bags in the room? It seems like sometimes it can take quite a long while. Some dont even get the bags before dinner, is that the rule or the exception?

Why does it take so long anyway, is it because they take thier sweet time or because passing all those bags through the x-ray machines really does take all that time?

How long did it take past cruisers to recieve thier bags in the room? It seems like sometimes it can take quite a long while. Some dont even get the bags before dinner, is that the rule or the exception?

Why does it take so long anyway, is it because they take thier sweet time or because passing all those bags through the x-ray machines really does take all that time?

Has nothing to do with VIP, Past Cruisers or Steerage :D Some luggage will arrive at 2pm while others won't make first call to dinner, some at 6-6:30pm.

Make sure you carry a change of clothing with your carry on for dinner or incase your luggage makes it onboard the wrong ship. Thats what I do to be safe.

Fred

they have to load all the luggage into crates, get it lifted up onto the ship.. i think they also go through xrays once on board but they are taking thousands of bags of luggage to each room on the ship.. not an easy or short task. I remember having it in the evening sometime on our last cruise. .

9 cruises and we always had our luggage before we got back from the drill.

i've never seen formal night on the first night of a cruise. . atleast that i have been on. So no you shouldn't have to carry your suit in your carry on. The first night is pretty laid back because some don't get there luggage before dinner.

Right, but isnt the first night a formal dinner? So to be safe I should carry my suit in the my carry on bag?

No, the first night is the most Casualest night ever, even Shorts and a Bra flys on the first night.

The Second night, no matter what day it falls on, is the Capt welcome onboard party, its the first formal and LOBSTER night!!!

Fred

ok, then i must be mistaken about something. The dinner on the first night, the welcome aboard dinner, or captains dinner, or whatever... that isnt formal? It would make sense that it isnt if luggage doesnt arrive for everyone before that.

The first night is just a normal night, or if the luggage is not there or your ship leaves later in the evening, it is very relaxed. The second night is the formal night, the Welcome aboard dinner from the Captain Gala.

Of course my cruise is going to be even more different. We are going to Paris the second day and the ship does not leave port until midnight. So, I am guessing our Captains Gala, formal dinner is on the third night.

We normally arrive at the terminal by 11 AM, are on board by noon, and have our luggage by around 2 PM - ALWAYS in plenty of time to unpack before the muster drill. I have to assume we get our luggage sooner b/c it's loaded onto the forklifts and dumped onto the ship with those first rounds of luggage since we get to the pier so early. I've seen the crew dropping off luggage until 7 PM, but we always get ours much, much earlier.

• Administrators
ok, then i must be mistaken about something. The dinner on the first night, the welcome aboard dinner, or captains dinner, or whatever... that isnt formal? It would make sense that it isnt if luggage doesnt arrive for everyone before that.

Formal nights almost always are on sea days if your itinerary has them. The cruiseline knows that luggage at embarkation may or may not be in the cabins before dinnertime (and it's a crap shoot at that -- maybe I have a future career as a bookie on the over/under on luggage arriving at a cabin before 6:00 PM!). They schedule "get all gussied up" nights for days when you probably will have time to DO that, and not resent it for having been rushed. "Welcome aboard" celebrations are usually very informal -- bbq by the pool at sailaway, etc.

As those above said, bring on board something nice and informal, but suitable for casual dinner attire, in case your bags aren't in the cabin by dinner time. I've never taken a cruise where the first and last nights weren't "casual" nights. The latest I've ever had luggage delivered was 9:30 PM on NCL (no knock on NCL -- they have a leisurely disembarkation, too -- you can stay aboard in your cabin until 10:00 am or so, so everything gets pushed back and it all balances out in the end). The earliest delivery was nearly simultaneous with boarding -- we had a drink, checked out the pooldeck, headed to our cabin (Carnival Fantasy) and our luggage was in the hall.

The luggage is loaded into huge cans while you are busy going through the boarding process. If you are early in the boarding process your luggage will probably be near the last to be delivered because it is among the first to be placed in the holding area. First on last off.

My ds and his girlfriend were embarrassed on a cruise because there luggage did not arrive in time for dinner, they were stuck wearing their shorts and t-shirt. I always carry on my suit bag and a small bag with a change of clothes and/or anything that I might need before the luggage arrives. The first night the crew understands that your luggage may not arrive in time for dinner in the dining room. The second night you are expected to dress appropriately.

Evening wear nights are usually while you are at sea.

If I want to just take my bags to my room myself (carry everything on, basically), would I be allowed to do that?

Only if it fits through the xray machine, the hole is something like 24x16 but I wouldn't recommend it because its a long long trip from the Terminal to the Ship with stairs and long passage ways like in Miami. Also there is a good risk you can pull a disk and or injure yourself thous ending your cruise on day one.

Fred

In 40 + cruises I have never nat had my luggage later than 6pm.All cruises from miami or port eveglades.

I think it was my 3rd cruise, I saw around 11 sad looking Missing in Action bags over by the Pursers Deck, these were bags that I guess the tags fell off and were almost in the lost and found area :D

If you don't get your bags by 6pm, head to the Pursers Deck to pick them up.

Fred

The luggage is loaded into huge cans while you are busy going through the boarding process. If you are early in the boarding process your luggage will probably be near the last to be delivered because it is among the first to be placed in the holding area. First on last off.

Not always - we've always been among the first on the ship and have always been upacked before muster drill. In July we were on the ship shortly after 11 and had all our luggage by 2.

The Second night, no matter what day it falls on, is the Capt welcome onboard party, its the first formal and LOBSTER night!!!
This is not always the case - sometimes it is the first sea day - on my upcoming Triumph Eastern 1st formal night is actually Monday night (day at sea) - and not on the sunday (half moon cay stop)....so it's on the 3rd night!

As for luggage arrival - usually have it before dinner (but then we usually choose late seating) - I always wonder tho why they come at different 'times' - they were all loaded into the crate together - yet we will get one piece at a time throughout the afternoon?

Froufie

Starting to realise how lucky we were. Either that or we didn't know the problems that could occur so didn't worry about them and thus they didn't happen.

Embarked on Freedom in Rome July 12th about 1:30pm.

Such a rush with the car that we had not even had time to put the luggage labels on our cases. Porters said no worries and hand wrote labels and put them on.

Then we went into the embarkation tent and did the paperwork. Paula had to use my back as a writing desk to fill in the S&S form etc. It took at most 10 minutes in the tent plus another 5 minutes held up by the photographers and then onto the ship. Went straight to the cabin and the S&S card worked fine.

We had Paulas bags about 15 minutes after entering the cabin and mine about 30 minutes after that.

Really smooth considering first cruise, no VIP treatment etc and in a lowly cabin.

However there were a lot of people on our cruise who had bags go missing due to the airlines etc plus there were a few bags in the lobby just before dinner that night that had lost labels.

The first night was very casual in the dining room which was good as our better clothing had not had time to hang and let some of the wrinkles fade away. Also the laundry was locked so I had no time to iron a shirt. I think that was the only time in the entire cruise the laundry was locked.

Safe bet seems to be to put a change of clothes in your carry on so at least you can change into something a bit fresher for dinner.

David

Archived