Dancing aboard NCL Dawn

Kiwichook

Hi there

Can anyone out there tell me what the dance floors are like on board this ship. How many floors, how big flors are and wots the music like ? We are modern jivers so have a huge range of music we can dance to but if there isn't the room or the music isn't good - would love to know. I see that there are dance teachers on board, can anyone rate them?

Hi Kiwichook, There is a fairly huge thread on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=133289 which gives loads of information on different ships and the type of dance floors. I am not sure if its Smoothdancer to Tropicalsunset that have a lot of reviews from different ships. We are competition ballroom dancers so this always interests us too. Most dance floors are quite small so you should be right to jive the night away - most time the music is for the more conservative styles though - lots of foxtrots and waltzes, cha cha and rumbas with the odd jive and salsa thrown in.

Dance teachers on board the ships can be either really really good or really really bad. They are employed to teach people who haven't danced before very basic steps. That being said - we always go to the lessons as its a nice relaxing way to get a bit of extra exercise and surprisingly we have learnt a thing or two along the way. Just go with an open mind and enjoy the live music. :D Mummsie

We were on the Sun a few months ago and the dancefloor (only one) was very small and very crowded. We still managed to get a few good dances in though - you just have to go with the flow and not let it upset the rest of your holiday. We go on cruises with the anticipation of great dancing but sometimes it just doesn't happen. Doesn't stop me from taking my dancing shoes though. Mummsie

We just returned from the Dawn. We too love to dance and have taken ballroom lessons in the past. We are not professional, not even very good, just like to dance. The main dance floor is in the spinnaker lounge. Most late evenings (10:30) there was a party band playing and we danced for their entire set, usually at this time the dance floor was very crowded, but we still found some room to swing or cha-cha. One early evening approx (8:30) the house band played big band music, they were very good. Only 2 couples did any dancing (ourselves and 1 other couple). Quite a shame actually. The dance floor is not large, but it did appear to be in good shape, at least we did not fine it sticky.

There was a couple of dance lessons in the afternoons. 1 was line dancing, others were Salsa & Rumba I beleive. Basic steps for someone who has not danced before or good refreshers for someone like ourselves.

Hope this helps.

Dance teachers on board the ships can be either really really good or really really bad. They are employed to teach people who haven't danced before very basic steps. That being said - we always go to the lessons as its a nice relaxing way to get a bit of extra exercise and surprisingly we have learnt a thing or two along the way. Just go with an open mind and enjoy the live music. :D Mummsie

I been on cruises with dance teachers, and some without. Sometimes a member of the Jean Ann Ryan troup will give dance instructions, sometimes a dance instructors, usually a pair, booked on your cruise, on a "working cruise" will give dance lessons. That's why dance instructors are always "hit and miss" on the same ship from week to week.

Who I had last year, last month, even last week, most likely will not be giving dance instructions next week.

Sometimes the dance classes are in Spinnaker, sometimes in Dazzles, which is a little more crowded.

The best show dancers aren't always the best teachers. They teach competitive ballroom dancing, not real-life dancing. But don't worry--it's still lots of fun!

There was one older couple teaching we remember that taught people how to DANCE, not how to compete! They were some of the best instructors we've seen in years because they understood the difference.

There used to be a couple on the Norway, Jackie and Ed, who were also terrific teachers. They were from Canada and he doubled as a lumberjack for fun--built his own timber-frame log cabin for them--with a dance studio. I don't think they are on ships anymore.

Cunard had Andrew Graham, who could teach a Rottweiler to dance...which was easy next to teaching ME! (MsEscada only had to learn one thing--if you are the lady DON'T THINK--just enjoy--otherwise she was a natural)

thanks Lukes, we're flying in from New Zealand so its really important that we get a ship that has a decent floor or one that is "danceable". Teachers on board not too much of a worry, we usually end up teaching people what we're doin' cos Ceroc isn't that big in the States and it usually gets a good reception once we take the floor. Don't suppose you could tell me if there is a disco on board, and if that's any good, floor wise? :D

There was 2 other dance floors, 1 called Dazzles Lounge and the second called Dazzles 2. On our sailing Dazzles had karoake every night 11:00 - 2:00 a.m., no real dancing took place here. Dazzles 2 was a teen hangout. We had over 900 passangers under 19 on our cruise. They may utilize this space differently on your cruise if ther was far less young people. Therfore the only real dancing was Spinnaker. Please tell me more about Ceroc. I googled it and it sounds interesting. However the only place offering it in Canada was Vancouver. But I think you will like Spinnaker, as I said there was some type of dance music there almost every evening.

thanks Lukes, we're flying in from New Zealand so its really important that we get a ship that has a decent floor or one that is "danceable". Teachers on board not too much of a worry, we usually end up teaching people what we're doin' cos Ceroc isn't that big in the States and it usually gets a good reception once we take the floor. Don't suppose you could tell me if there is a disco on board, and if that's any good, floor wise? :D

How about looking into Queen Mary II with the largest dance floor at sea?

We just got off the 4 night Labor Day cruise and they had ballroom dancing every night in a lovely room with lots of tables around the dance floor. A Black & White Ball as well as a Masquerade Ball were held.

Full orchestra, vocalist and dance hosts. The dance teachers were the international ballroom team who taught cha cha and waltz on the sea days and put on a performance every evening.

There was also a Caribbean band who played every night in the nightclub.

Of course, it's not freestyle so you'd have to bring enough clothes for all the various dress codes requested. That can be a challenge with the luggage restrictions these days.

Archived