Using Your Computer Onboard

felder01

Yes, there are hot spots. But...you better be prepared to pay dearly. It costs 50 cents per minute and it is incredibly slow (like slower than dialup). They have some packages you can buy where it's as low as 35 cents a minute, but that's still very high. I used my free minutes I got for being Gold C & A and then bought 1 package.

Good luck...:confused:

Usually 6 hotspots per ship, business center, library, vicinity of purser's desk, centrum, solarium, promenade on Voyager class, that sort of thing. Freedom class is wi-fi throughout.

50 cents/minute

$25 for 60 minutes

$35 for 90 minutes

$50 for 150 minutes

To minimize costs, log on, download emails, log off, read and write replies, log on and send email, log back off again. I always log off, then turn off the radio (disable wi-fi) to ensure that the ship's computer knows I've disconnected and doesn't keep counting time. There was a thread about a year ago, someone didn't log off and had a several hundred dollar internet bill. The ineternet on ships is a shared connection via satellite, imagine sharing your cable modem with a couple hundred of your best friends, it wouldn't seem very fast either, so the trick is to log on early morning, or late night, if you log on at lunch time on a sea day, whatever you do is gonna take a while. Many people take their computers ashore with them and will buy an hour in an internet cafe, usually $5 to $6.

We were on a b2b a few weeks ago on the Explorer of the Seas. I bought the cybercabin package, which is unlimited use in your cabin. I have seen a great improvement over the past few years as far as being able to log in and use the service. I was even able to download pictures and email them home.

I used my diamond coupons for some wifi on the pool deck. It really was not as slow as everyone claims it to be. I may have just been lucky, not sure.

Years ago, I couldn't even log on, it would take forever. I know they limit the number of cybercabin units, so maybe that has helped.

Archived