Differences between British and American English

calikak

NPP,

I'm guessing you went to Harpur college.

So what do other people in the world call Spedies?

And BTW, I will be sailing with

Binghamtonians Ed and Sandy in just over a month (Cunarder) How about those awful floods last year. I saw a lot of pictures Vestal, Endwell, and further up- Chanango EnJoie Park under water- Had to move the BC Open!

As for tea- Not just Iced tea, but Sweet Tea! (Although I grew up using saccarin tablets in the pitchers of iced tea my mom made from scratch!

And in Atlanta any soda is a Co-cola- Or maybe an RC Cola or a NEHI.

And the word bunk- as in twaddle, or bull dingies, came from Buncombe, named for a famous politician from Buncombe County North Carolina (Asheville) who was full of, Well, Bunk!

Karie,

who has lived in a few of the places you have, it seems!

Yup. Class of 1977. And it's spelled "Spiedies". You could also get them in Scranton, PA (about the only good thing about Scranton other than leaving the place). The closest thing to them is kabobs--but not exactly. (BTW, since we are talking about language, we incorrectly refer to them as kabobs or kababs--it's from the Turkish şuş kabab, where şuş (pronounced "shish") is the skewer the meat "kabab" is roasted on... Nothing like spiedies are Sharkeys!

I was not aware of the floods--but it's not the first time--it happened in the 70's...the Triple Cities is a place where you REALLY want to live on high ground, not near the water. Plus I have a friend who moved from there to Seattle--guess he doesn't like sunshine much. Binghamton has really miserable weather. It rains, snows and the wind blows all the time. The quad at the University used to be called "The Wind Tunnel". In the fall and the spring you get bouncing temps..It will be in the 60's during the day and in the 20's at night--but never sticks in the 40's and 50's. Or it will just be in the 20's. Summer is the one relief but it's short.

And they used to love to drink Genesee beer up there--truly awful stuff.

The use of "bunk" for "bump" is STRICTLY New York.

Yup. Class of 1977. And it's spelled "Spiedies". You could also get them in Scranton, PA (about the only good thing about Scranton other than leaving the place). The closest thing to them is kabobs--but not exactly. (BTW, since we are talking about language, we incorrectly refer to them as kabobs or kababs--it's from the Turkish şuş kabab, where şuş (pronounced "shish") is the skewer the meat "kabab" is roasted on... Nothing like spiedies are Sharkeys!

I was not aware of the floods--but it's not the first time--it happened in the 70's...the Triple Cities is a place where you REALLY want to live on high ground, not near the water. Plus I have a friend who moved from there to Seattle--guess he doesn't like sunshine much. Binghamton has really miserable weather. It rains, snows and the wind blows all the time. The quad at the University used to be called "The Wind Tunnel". In the fall and the spring you get bouncing temps..It will be in the 60's during the day and in the 20's at night--but never sticks in the 40's and 50's. Or it will just be in the 20's. Summer is the one relief but it's short.

And they used to love to drink Genesee beer up there--truly awful stuff.

The use of "bunk" for "bump" is STRICTLY New York.

Yeah, But I think this has been the worst in my memory.

I remember the Flash Flood in- Maybe 62 or 63? We went swimming at the bottom of my street in Endwell (King St)

There are a few others in some areas of N PA that have heard of Spiedies (Sorry about the misspell) But it was some firefighter who moved down there- Maybe Montrose or something- I forget.

And One of theSpiedies places in Endwell liked my Dad enough to give him their recipe. I have it now (Dad died last year) A co-worker whose sister used to live in Vestal would go visit and buy a case of - I forget the bottled one- There's two bottled brands. But it is not nearly as good as the ones you buy at a stand!

Well, since you have also been in New York City area, the principal cellist for the NY Pops is from Endwell. (he also plays in the Phil and the Met) When he was in high School he played with the Harpur College Orchestra (Yeah, he's good) But we graduated high School in 72.

You've been around. Let's see, I'm originally from Tennessee, pretty much grew up (JR/SR High School years) in Ormond Beach (near Daytona) Florida.

Karie,

who has met a lot of kindred spirits on these boards.

Did you live there too? <G>

Awa n bile yer heid ye wee sassenach ****e ye.

Translation: "What a fine idea, one that is worthy of support".

Why am I having trouble believing this translation???:p :eek:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Thanks for the correction. I knew it was something like that, but, no offense, it's nothing but pure gibberish to me, and I memorized it by rote, not by meaning.

No offence taken. It is gibberish. We probably have it stuffed down our throats more than you!

Matthew

Ah ha...I thought it might be someting like that...."lowlander"??? Ok, I'll accept your version;)

Cheers, Penny

Some say English but it applies to those who live in the Central Lowlands, Glasgow, Edinburgh area.

Some say English but it applies to those who live in the Central Lowlands, Glasgow, Edinburgh area.

Even clearer!!:rolleyes: :confused: Thank you FranKes....what do I know a mere "flower of the Old South"!!!:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

The

European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

< /SPAN>In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year , publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double lette rs which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as

replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

If zis mad you smil, pleas pas on to oza pepl.

Wasn't England part of the Roman empire back then?

Hi Karie,

No, "England" didn't exist then. The Roman province that encompassed the area later called England was known as Britannia. Thought I'd better be the one to point that out before Happyscot got his oar in with more propaganda for Scottish independence etc etc etc.

Jimmy

Who's now a refugee from the thread formerly known as "Sorry - Double Post". By the way, have you seen the state of that floataway lounge? What a dump - I couldn't find a crossword to do and I couldn't even get a decent cup of coffee. Call it a lounge! It's more like the all night disco on a cross Channel ferry.

By the way, have you seen the state of that floataway lounge? What a dump - I couldn't find a crossword to do and I couldn't even get a decent cup of coffee. Call it a lounge! It's more like the all night disco on a cross Channel ferry.

I know. Not pleasant. I'm not really sure why our happy existance needs such careful monitoring.

Matthew

The

European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

< /SPAN>In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year , publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double lette rs which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as

replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

If zis mad you smil, pleas pas on to oza pepl.

This is really good!

I know. Not pleasant. I'm not really sure why our happy existance needs such careful monitoring.

Matthew

I know...the only people we annoy are ourselves and we know we're not always serious :rolleyes:

That is a VERY strange place wherever it is....have you looked at some of the topics? :eek:

Holy smoke...you don't think they want to get rid of us do you? Little by little we just disappear, one after the other...ooops, where's Malcolm....ooops, where's Matthew...ooops, has anyone seen Angela lately...and so on? Oh my, this IS worrisome:eek:

Cheers, Penny

I know...the only people we annoy are ourselves and we know we're not always serious :rolleyes:

That is a VERY strange place wherever it is....have you looked at some of the topics? :eek:

Holy smoke...you don't think they want to get rid of us do you? Little by little we just disappear, one after the other...ooops, where's Malcolm....ooops, where's Matthew...ooops, has anyone seen Angela lately...and so on? Oh my, this IS worrisome:eek:

Cheers, Penny

perhaps we should all just hid in the roll calls - visiting occasionally in border raids to collect new and lost victims,... sorry 'visitors' ;) :D

actually to be fair - Host Doug moved a few things too (even if he did usually get, ahem, 'persuaded' into putting them back)

As long as we are allowed to drift once a posters question has been answered, we haven't got a lot to complain about! I was worried we might get the Princess moderator - they are not allowed to drift at all! (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=536380)

perhaps we should make sure the word Cunard, or one of the ships is in every title in future:D

So where do Azamara and Celebrity (where Host Andy posts) fit in the cruise line hierarchy - are they 'posh' like wat we are?

Karen

(ok, got confused, it was the moved thread where HD was mentioned, but I can't be bothered to copy it there)

There do seem to have been a lot of threads that have just ended recently. There was that Camilla one; the mistaken post; what happened to the Pol Acker one? I'm sure there were many more. Maybe they've just gone the natural way of all threads when nobody posts for a couple of days but I'm wondering if they've been moved onto some other board and are living a quite happy existence with people wondering who the original posters were:)

Actually I'm beggining to quite like this thread. It has a nice, comfortable, lived-in feel to it. And the decor's quite muted - not like that ghastly floataway lounge. I think we should take up residence on here. We've all been on this one at some time or another anyway. If we wait for a bit Happyscot will turn up. He was going to a barbeque at about 1830 bst so he'll have had a skinful by now, but that's never stopped him in the past.

Jimmy

There do seem to have been a lot of threads that have just ended recently. There was that Camilla one; the mistaken post; what happened to the Pol Acker one? I'm sure there were many more. Maybe they've just gone the natural way of all threads when nobody posts for a couple of days but I'm wondering if they've been moved onto some other board and are living a quite happy existence with people wondering who the original posters were:)

Pol ackers still there http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=622287 - its just fallen down to page 2 as everyone got into the others.

Even Fred Drifts gone quiet (which is probably just as well - lets hope murrdurr only has one more episode, because as soon as HS posts that I am sure thread drift will float away :(.

Karen

(but its back on top now:D Pol Acker that is)

Archived