Differences between British and American English

calikak

Hell's flaming bells,

I know I was making cracks about the decor etc, but I've just been back over to "a foul wet analogy" to see if anyone was still hanging around looking for a home and I stopped long enough to look at some of the thread headers. The first one I noticed was a "sticky" about harassment of members in floataway lounge. Running this a close second was "Change one letter and make a new word". But my personal favourite was "Last letter starts the next word" - I actually had a look on that one because I thought it had to be more complicated than it sounded. Guess what? It wasn't!!

I'm sorry to say that the original "Routs Poorly Beds" thread can lie there and rot in Hell. I am never going back there again.

Jimmy

Hell's flaming bells,

I know I was making cracks about the decor etc, but I've just been back over to "a foul wet analogy" to see if anyone was still hanging around looking for a home and I stopped long enough to look at some of the thread headers. The first one I noticed was a "sticky" about harassment of members in floataway lounge. Running this a close second was "Change one letter and make a new word". But my personal favourite was "Last letter starts the next word" - I actually had a look on that one because I thought it had to be more complicated than it sounded. Guess what? It wasn't!!

I'm sorry to say that the original "Routs Poorly Beds" thread can lie there and rot in Hell. I am never going back there again.

Jimmy

See what I meant??? A VERY strange place...there's actually a thread where you make a "story" by adding only 4 words....now, around here that might be intriguing but....:rolleyes:

As to "Routs Poorly Beds"...well you know the problems I have with strange languages however in this case I do understand and say...lead on fearless leader...you started it...your thread, your call! ;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

...there's actually a thread where you make a "story" by adding only 4 words.

Penny,

you are a genius - now I know where HS got the murrrrdrrrr stuff from and why he could produce it so quickly !!!!!

I'm still planning the next move - but it's way past my bedtime here in sleepy old UK. I need to have at least 90 minutes of sleep every night and "half upright on an ancient line (7)" usually manages to wake me at about 3.00am every morning.

Jimmy

See what I meant??? A VERY strange place...there's actually a thread where you make a "story" by adding only 4 words....now, around here that might be intriguing but....:rolleyes:

As to "Routs Poorly Beds"...well you know the problems I have with strange languages however in this case I do understand and say...lead on fearless leader...you started it...your thread, your call! ;)

Cheers, Penny

Penny,

What in the world happened after I left for dinner last night? All I said was I didn't wanna be a Drip :( Did you kids get naughty while I was gone:p

Betsy

Penny,

What in the world happened after I left for dinner last night? All I said was I didn't wanna be a Drip :( Did you kids get naughty while I was gone:p

Betsy

Beats me Betsy....we were our usual charming selves and POOF....the disappearing thread....again!! And to the Floataway Lounge of all places!! I'm scared to even go near that place...there's weird stuff going on there :eek:

By the by, I do think the IV thing is a tad more classy than the drip...;)

Ah well...we endeavour to continue our drifty discussions... someplace :rolleyes: Stay tuned...we'll find ourselves....

Cheers, Penny

Beats me Betsy....we were our usual charming selves and POOF....the disappearing thread....again!! And to the Floataway Lounge of all places!! I'm scared to even go near that place...there's weird stuff going on there :eek:

By the by, I do think the IV thing is a tad more classy than the drip...;)

Ah well...we endeavour to continue our drifty discussions... someplace :rolleyes: Stay tuned...we'll find ourselves....

Cheers, Penny

Penny

I have heard some frightening things about the Floataway Lounge :eek:

Betsy,

Hold on to that drip dear, I'm sure we can send something more substantial down it!

Bubbles????

We might have to if she ventures to that strange and faraway place...:eek:

Stick with us Betsy and we shall find the promised land...:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

and "half upright on an ancient line (7)" usually manages to wake me at about 3.00am every morning.

Jimmy

Big Bird?

Obviously I'm so out of sorts over this message moving business I can't even think crooked.

Hi Penny, I'm still here....for now. Sigh.

I know...the only people we annoy are ourselves and we know we're not always serious :rolleyes:

That is a VERY strange place wherever it is....have you looked at some of the topics? :eek:

Holy smoke...you don't think they want to get rid of us do you? Little by little we just disappear, one after the other...ooops, where's Malcolm....ooops, where's Matthew...ooops, has anyone seen Angela lately...and so on? Oh my, this IS worrisome:eek:

Cheers, Penny

The langoliers are coming!:eek:

Paul

Okay, which four words,

St...age

j...s

sm...ng

for..l

?

Half upright- Um...guessing half of the word (or a synonym of) upright UPRI, added to ancient (OLD) line- Line could be an I or an L, but now I have 8 letters, none of which make sense!

OLDUPRIL

Still doesn't spell Stanley! who probably wakes you up at 7AM. Or your wife, or the alarm clock, or your own snoring, or needing to go to the bathroom, or sunlight streaming through the bedroom window, or the small of coffee percolating, or an earthquake or the phone ringing, or black booted thugs banging on the door, or ......

You get the picture!

Karie,

who doesn't have a clue. No she has the clue, she just can't get the answer!

In fact, I haven't gotten half of them, much less why we got banished to some dingy bar in cabin class..no make that on the waterfront. we didn't even make the boat!

Still doesn't spell Stanley! who probably wakes you up at 7AM

Well Karie, you guessed the answer correctly so, just for you, here is how I got there.

Upright = Standing, therefore "Half upright" = stan. Ancient line = ley. Stan+Ley = Stanley.

Jimmy

So has the change a letter make a new word one - they started with a 4 letter word & they are now on 5 letter words :eek:

That can't be all done by one or two people with learning disabilities. There must be hundreds of them who really think that kind of game is challenging:eek: (And, yes, I do consider myself superior to people who enjoy spending hours at that kind of game)

Little.

Gosh darn this is fun.

But would you want to be banished there for all eternity like our poor, dear departed Double Post thread? (A moment of silence all, please) To be surrounded by threads that haven't even graduated to words of 6 letters? Or threads that "create" a story in submissions of 4 words? Or something called "peas and carrots" with 11,000+ replies? :eek:

I'm willing to grovel to get that poor, sweet thread to Cunard land where it will be truly appreciated for what it is...and isn't ;)

Cheers, Penny

Hey, the lost boat thread is still going - I remember that from when it was safe to go to the floataway lounge, when posts stayed on the front page for more than 2 minutes and you didn't have to remember your alphabet to be allowed to post - Its a bit like lots of little HappyScots, but slightly less mad.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=50383

Actually, that must be a continuation thread from the board change, because I remember it being a lot funnier (I think Charlotte Vale used to post there as a passenger) or perhaps my sense of humour has been sharpened by being here;D

Karen

But would you want to be banished there for all eternity like our poor, dear departed Double Post thread? (A moment of silence all, please) To be surrounded by threads that haven't even graduated to words of 6 letters? Or threads that "create" a story in submissions of 4 words? Or something called "peas and carrots" with 11,000+ replies? :eek:

I'm willing to grovel to get that poor, sweet thread to Cunard land where it will be truly appreciated for what it is...and isn't ;)

Cheers, Penny

oh they have a 6 letter version as well, just saw it, but you are allowed to change 2 letters

I hope this doesn't constitute harrassment of floataway lounge members - wouldn't want to upset them - they have my posts from the lost thread

Karen

who is now replying to posts that sneak in before the one she was constructing while she was writing it - didn't even have to go back to the main board :eek:

I hope this doesn't constitute harrassment of floataway lounge members - wouldn't want to upset them

There is a very dire warning about what will happen ("[posts] will be removed without notice and not reinstated") if you harass other posters and the even worse threat of "Discussion of this policy in any thread will result in removal of the thread, and you may lose your posting privileges".

I've just thought: does this post count as discussing it or does someone need to propose a counter argument about Laura's views before this thread is deleted and I am banned:(

There is a very dire warning about what will happen ("[posts] will be removed without notice and not reinstated") if you harass other posters and the even worse threat of "Discussion of this policy in any thread will result in removal of the thread, and you may lose your posting privileges".

I've just thought: does this post count as discussing it or does someone need to propose a counter argument about Laura's views before this thread is deleted and I am banned:(

Your a band.

Archived