Differences between British and American English

calikak

A more problematic name is Randy

My boss's name is Randy...in fact we used to have two managers in our office both named Randy. No really, that's their real names, not just their nicknames.

I'd forgotten about the fanny pack problem. When I worked at Girl Scout camp, we had several counselors from the UK, Australia and New Zealand, and they were all horrified to learn that the first aid kits were carried in something with such a foul name. In the US, fanny is a non-offensive slang for buttocks.

So if I'm at dinner and I say, "Oh dear, I dropped my napkin" will the British folks within earshot burst out laughing thinking I've dropped my diaper?

I'm so glad I started this thread!

In the UK I think they say pop instead of soda...right?

Actually, I don't think that many people outside of where I live say soda....or know what a Tastykake is. (How we love our Tastykakes..and our Peanut Chews)

I say soda (occasionally soft drinks usually soda, though) and keep your tasty cakes (Great! Now I've got that stupid jingle stuck in my head- thanks!) I'll take Moon pied from the Chattanooga Baking Company! (And an RC cola and a Moon Pie-to tie the two together- Sung by NRBQ of Glastonbury and Windsor Locks Connecticut!)

Oh goodness. I know of both soda and pop, and also Tastykakes.

And of course we could think of more, but this is US and UK, not various parts of the US. OTOH, maybe we could have a cockney rhyming slang thread, just for fun? :D

Oh dear! Don't go there!

My Father calls lunch 'dinner' and dinner 'tea'

So breakfast, dinner & tea, occasionally supper instead of tea. So if you invite him over for dinner - he comes at noon, or if you invite him for tea - meaning a cup, he expects supper.

I notice we say chesterfield where Americans say sofa.

I love the way my English husband pronouces garage, urinal and half & half. It's why I fell in love with him. :)

Or Couch- which begs the French Coucher-

Let me guess Garage- rhymes with Garrish, (hmm, just realized that could be pronounced two ways_ Like Carriage- Urinal- Like Yur Nul Can't quite figure Hal uff and hal- uff

Karie,

who wonders why everything in the US is registered with the Penna Dept of Agriculture.

I guess the rest of us need to go register our stuf?

I wonder. He knew of the colonies of Upper Canada and Lower Canada which became the United Province of Canada. Of course he was British, but in reply to another stating "I am an Englishman" he may well have replied "I am a Canadian". Just wondering, not arguing. Any Cunard diarist scholars out there?

There is a good biography of Samuel Cunard 'Steam Lion' (ho! ho!) - he was very proud to be knighted and spent his later years in London....Pop quiz....what nationality was George Washington? Of course everyone says 'American'.....but not for the first 42 years of his 67......

Peter

This leads to another question: do Brits and Aussies have problem with the woman's name Fanny? Not exactly a common name, but still used occassionally in USA. Probably most famous Fanny was Fanny Brice.

Bob

Not many parents would call a daughter Fanny in UK nowadays. Or Gay for that matter.

David.

Interesting. I will submit your feedback to the publishers of the newsletter...I am now wondering what other mistakes they've made with regards to British English that I am too uneducated to have recognized?

Since a nappy is a diaper, what does one call the item used to dab the corner of one's mouth at the end of a meal?

Pudding.

I speak excellent Texan and passable English, and as UTEP graduate, I consider myself to be illiterate in two languages!!

Tastykake is. (How we love our Tastykakes..and our Peanut Chews

What exactly is that??

Dinner Napkins for the cloth variety in Texas, Fanny not selected any more but Randy for a boys name is still common. The Loo= the bath, the water closet, the restroom.

I speak excellent Texan and passable English, and as UTEP graduate, I consider myself to be illiterate in two languages!!

What exactly is that??

Dinner Napkins for the cloth variety in Texas, Fanny not selected any more but Randy for a boys name is still common. The Loo= the bath, the water closet, the restroom.

All of the above <G>

Like a Little Debbie, Hoho, or other cardboard and plastic cake filled with wax icing, empty calories, tooth-jarring sugar and cholesterol, plus enough preservatives for it to still be "good" in ten years on the shelf at the 7-11.

Karie,

who steers clear of these things. ((Tastykake being a mis-nomer!)

Not sure, I think is is something with toffee in it!

Karie,

who doesn't know either!Try googling it!

You need to know what treacle is first, and the difference between treacle and syrup, that is definitley not maple.

Tate and Lyle Golden syrup, one of the oldest British food brands (sometimes wrongly called treacle) is a golden syrup, a little stickier than maple syrup made from sugar cane.

Black treacle that is used to make treacle fudge and treacle tart is also derived from sugar but is less refined, black, and with a stronger taste.

And to go with treacle tart it has to be Birds Custard, but that's another story.

David.

Who has a great recipe for treacle tart if anyone cooks anymore.

You need to know what treacle is first, and the difference between treacle and syrup, that is definitley not maple.

Tate and Lyle Golden syrup, one of the oldest British food brands (sometimes wrongly called treacle) is a golden syrup, a little stickier than maple syrup made from sugar cane.

Black treacle that is used to make treacle fudge and treacle tart is also derived from sugar but is less refined, black, and with a stronger taste.

And to go with treacle tart it has to be Birds Custard, but that's another story.

David.

Who has a great recipe for treacle tart if anyone cooks anymore.

Oh!

That explains it!

It's all clear to me now! <G>

Karie,

who thinks iti s as clear as fudge treacle! <G>

Just remembered- Treacly movies are those super sugar sweet that make you want to gag

P.S. Next subject (related) Caipirinhas, made from Cachaca, which is a liquor made from cane sugar, not to be confused with rum (or rhum) made from molasses, which is made from cane Sugar.

But they are NOT THE SAME THING!

what is treacle fudge?

I have another question. An Englishman whom I work with told me to try "bangers and mash" and also "bubbles and squeaks" when in England on my upcoming cruise. He would not elaborate on the second item. What is that and what traditional English food is available on QE2? I remember the Golden Lion Pub had traditional fish and chips the last cruise we were on.

what is treacle fudge?

I have another question. An Englishman whom I work with told me to try "bangers and mash" and also "bubbles and squeaks" when in England on my upcoming cruise. He would not elaborate on the second item. What is that and what traditional English food is available on QE2? I remember the Golden Lion Pub had traditional fish and chips the last cruise we were on.

Shepherd's pie is the easist thing to make in the world.... brown ground beef (or lamb) with onions, carrots, peas, whatver other veg you have lying around, seasoning (worcestershire sauce) I like to put some good old HP sauce in there too.

Then you make some mashed potatoes, layer the meat& veg in a pan, cover with mashed, dot the top with butter and bake in the over until the potatoes get a little golden on top. Yum

Cheesy_Shepherds_Pie.jpg

What a fun thread :)

Bubble and Squeak gosh that takes me back (a comfort food from childhood). Usually made with left overs comprising of mashed potato boiled cabbage and onion fried up with a dollup of dripping).

Dripping = The drippings off the sunday roast usually beef.

Bangers and Mash thats an easy one Mashed potato and a good pork sausage.

Anybody ever had Brains Fag_ts and peas?

or Toad in the Hole what about a bacon butty?

Also here's one for you last time I was living in England having a Fag was very common.

Remember hearing this on a brit com the other day "the dogs bollocks" .

Keep the thread going I haven't laughed so much in ages

What a fun thread :)

Bubble and Squeak gosh that takes me back (a comfort food from childhood). Usually made with left overs comprising of mashed potato boiled cabbage and onion fried up with a dollup of dripping).

Dripping = The drippings off the sunday roast usually beef.

Bangers and Mash thats an easy one Mashed potato and a good pork sausage.

Anybody ever had Brains Fag_ts and peas?

or Toad in the Hole what about a bacon butty?

Anyone had Spotted Dick for Desert.

Also here's one for you last time I was living in England having a Fag was very common.

Remember hearing this on a brit com the other day "the dogs bollocks" .

Keep the thread going I haven't laughed so much in ages

Archived