Door Decorations?

IndyTwinsMom

Can anyone tell me about this door magnet / door decorations thing I've been hearing about? Do many people do it? A few magnets or something more elaborate? What have you done or seen? Any DCL rules about this?

I'm not that creative but it sounds like fun - really think the kids would enjoy doing something...they like anything crafty. Thanks!

Last year on our DCL on the Magic we saw a door decorated some hand made soome were the bon Voygae or Aniv basket that comes with a magnet. For our Hawaii cruise on the Radiance I am making a poster that will have the ports of call, and different things we will do on the ship ex luau volcano arizona etc. Most of thse items I got from craft stores. I bought some magents and magnetic tape. I may have to somew scissors or go to guest services. I also saw people putting post cards from the port of call.

Lexi

Hi....I'm assuming the whole door...or at least part of the door is metal. How big of decoration is best? Is there a place to insert it or can you just put it anywhere on the door?? We will be on the Wonder. We will definately make one with the kids...I just need to know how big??? Can anyone help with this?? Thanks!!

Hi....I'm assuming the whole door...or at least part of the door is metal. How big of decoration is best? Is there a place to insert it or can you just put it anywhere on the door?? We will be on the Wonder. We will definately make one with the kids...I just need to know how big??? Can anyone help with this?? Thanks!!

Yes the entire door is metal. But the number is in the center. There is room on both sides of the number for a door sign and room for 3 or 4 below it if they are made standard paper size. 8 1/2 x 11 1/2

There is no where to insert it.

Most people use a magnetic sheet of paper. You can buy them at walmart with the speciality computer paper. it is a red box that says magnetic sheets. I think it has 6 or 7 pages in the package. The entire sheet will stick on the door nicely. This is the most approved method because it wont harm the paint or surface of the door.

Yes lots of people do this, especially if they have crusied before.

There is no right or wrong to them, just do what ever theme you want and put it on the door.

Be advised that I have read many times where they sometimes disappear during the night, so either bring them in at night or just done put out something you cant afford to loose, Just in case.

It is usually older kids in the halls late looking for something to do that take them. sometimes they get caught. Many people will put their cabin number soemwhere on the front of the sign so if it winds up on a different door during the night, people will know where to return the sign to.

My grandaughter decided to make one once. She put a picture of grandpa sleeping on deck 4 with his mouth wide open. Then on the bottom half of the sign she put :

here's my grandpa on deck 4,

Oh my how he can snore!!

If you see him around the ship,

Please tell him you saw this.

Love Ana

He had NO idea about the sign and people kept coming up to him and said they saw his picture?? he thought they were nuts and just laughed it off until we went to their cabin to pick them up and he saw the sign. It was so funny.

so just use your imagination and let the kids have fun with it!! they may just surprize you!!!

mom x4,grandma x4

Most of the cruises I have sailed on the doors were wood or some other that magnets would not stick to, the door jams are metal and the magnets work great there. Before I found that out I took tape with me. Had to put my paper cut out ghost on the door for Halloween, lol. My cabin is always easy to find. Cruise Critic even has a door sign you can download and print.

Thank you for that info. I never knew that since I have never cruised on Disney. My family is talking about sailing from Port Cav. during some of the teacher work days early next year. I am looking forward to this one very much. It will be nice to take a nice big magnet for the door instead of packing tape.;)

Lots of people do door decorations on DCL...

This was ours on a 3-night Wonder --

door_5134.jpg

I went understated, b/c it was a 3 nighter, and not a lot of 'decorating type' folks - but it made it really easy for us and our DD to find the cabin coming down the hall!!

The "ears" on the door number were from a pattern someone else online gave me... they were fun and got comments from our hallmates :)

We'll do more elaborate stuff on our upcoming 7 day Eastern :)

:o So, is there anyplace online where we can buy an already decorated magnetic door sign? Actually three different ones as we will be occupying three staterooms all next to one another. Crafting has never been a specialty of mine and my DD who's cruising with us will be far too busy getting her 4-year-old triplets ready for the trip to think about making door signs. Anybody out there want to volunteer their door magnet talents???:D

Then just buy some fun refrigerator magnets or whatever would be fun for you. Our family also always put up little magnetic message boards because finding everyone is sometime a challenge. Those were the only things we had trouble with - and during the day. We had some explicit pictures drawn on them. Never had any trouble on any of our other DCL cruises - just last months.

Thanks yndygo for the great picture - I especially love the ears - so cute!! I hope you don't mind if I 'borrow' that idea (the ears)...? As they say - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

I think the understated look is more my style - but will probably let the twins each decide on a magnet sheet of their own & they are not much for understated...we'll be sure to find our cabin!

I know this is magnetic photo paper, but does anyone know if they can color or draw on the paper?

Archived