Compare snorkeling in Belize vs. Roatan vs. Grand Cayman

stbernard

A friend told us snorkeling in Belize is the 2nd best in the world next to Australia. I'm no expert at all but I would think that would be a hard thing to prove. I definitely want to do some snorkeling but I'm not sure which one of my cruise stops would be the best place. Anyway, between Belize, Roatan which one of these places has the best snorkeling?

A friend told us snorkeling in Belize is the 2nd best in the world next to Australia. I'm no expert at all but I would think that would be a hard thing to prove. I definitely want to do some snorkeling but I'm not sure which one of my cruise stops would be the best place. Anyway, between Belize, Roatan which one of these places has the best snorkeling?

I have snorkeled in Belize and Grand Caymen on several occassions... I have to say that I felt that Belize edged out Caymen and probably because we were at the 2nd pargest "Living" Barrier reef in the world.....Shark Ray Alley was nice as well..... So Belize gets my vote

Safe Travels... curtis

I have snorkeled in Belize with Ecological Tours and it was amazing! we are going back in October for the cave tubing, the guides that took us were great! no doubt.

Dear cruzaholic2000,

We are looking into booking with Ecological Tours to do their Reef and Shark Ray snorkeling out of San Pedro - from my communications with them they said they would pick us up where the tender lets us off and then off to the airport for a 20 minute flight over to Ambrigues (sp?) Caye for the excursion. Is this the one you did? If so, was it worth the money because of the flight, it is over $100 per person but I don't mind spending the money if it is worth it. The last time we were in Belize we did something similar but near Caye Caulker and was with a company called Coral Breeze. They were great but I just thought it would be nice to try a different tour company.

We thought about doing the cave tubing thing but I decided that there were too many bugs in the jungle and I also read about that Bot Fly Larva - yuck! It sure sounds like fun though and I hope you have a great time.

Thanks for any info you can give me on Eco Tours.

Best, cruisefreak13

We did the one near Caye Caulker it was much cheaper, we paid something like $49.00 since it was 6 of us, I did wanted to do the one in San Pedro "Ambergris Caye" but it was just not affordable for us, so we settled for the cheaper one, but I must say it was amazing! if you have done the one in Caye Caulker then you should try the other, I am sure you will enjoy it, I would have done it if it was only the 2 of us.

Have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the pleasure of snorkeling all three islands. Roatan is my my favorite for now! Roatan is a relatively new stop for larger ships and the snorkeling is absolutely wonderful right from the beach! No need to book an excursion just head on down to the West End- Tabyana beach area, the coral is still alive and beautiful! Last time I was there, I had the pleasure of swimming along side of a bright blue fish about the size of my leg -along with hundreds of other differnt color fish!!! I'l be there again in Nov. 07 I hope the coral hasn't been depleted too much by over use!! Enjoy Roatan now before it looks like the dead Coral off the coasts of so many Islands. If only the world could learn to look but not touch!!!

We ended up doing a lot of snorkeling on our cruise because it was a great activity that we both enjoyed and its safe to do if pregnant. The only stop we didn't happen to was Roatan (one more reason to go back to this neat port). We did at Grand Cayman on a reef not to far from stingray city (before going there) and also in Belize and then a little bit in Cozumel too. Cozumel was we just did from walking off sunset beach & the others were off boats. They were all different and we enjoyed them all. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance here.

Archived