mini cruise review BOUDICCA

seabourndt

hi just got back from a lovely 3 nights away on the BOUDICCA

GETTING THERE>

i travelled by train from acton, due to no ticket office open in richmond i missed he train and a real rush to catch to train to dover.on arrival we walked straight onto the courtesy bus to the port( a great idea laying this on rather than a taxi) we arrived in the port at 1345hrs. after check in (i got the short queue as i was on bridge deck) i was given a card but it took ages to get to me 1hour to be exact. other groups like VICTORIA travel i guess and this held up our embarkation.

MY CABIN

i went up the gangway to have the hand spray i understand no body want to pass any virus on but it seems to go a bit too far sometimes. after my picture was taken for security i joined the queue for the lift. the otherlift was being used for luggage and i could'nt seem to be able to call the otherone. i tried to ask them if they could lock the other lift off so could get the other one but they said our lift was not working which was not true. finally we got the lift the other couple i was with were next door to me. i open the door a nice large cabin with bathroom with shower. 2 chairs, safe deposit box and a flat screen tv. the balcony was unobstructed which was nice. not that secluded as the promenade deck was just below and they could see you.

FOOD

the food was very good, a few times we got the wrong course but it was rectified quickly apart from my tablemate. who asked for beef they gave him fish and it took ages for him to get the beef. the choices were quite good, the menu's i don't like much as its a small one and not as much choice of courses as other cruises. breakfast and lunch was mainly buffet unless you wanted something different. personally i don't really like the buffet. the secret garden is a lovely area. either for afternoon tea(it got very crowded for this) or as alternative for dinner but never tried dinner here. no baked alaska though!

ENTERTAINMENT

the shows on the BRAEMAR were better i think, the 1st night was the singers and dancers doing 30's night. it was a bit slow and not really my era or the youngsters either! the 2nd night was a comedianwho i liked but not all did. he did swear a bit and were a bit neart the knuckle. but i liked it, he had a bit of a go at SAGA. the 3rd night was a cellist who was good.

SAILAWAY

no band or music played unlike the BRAEMAR, no horns blown either anywhere. a bit surprsing we passed the AURORA nand nobody blew any? do they not like each other? a shame as i made myself late watching us passed it!

THURSDAY 6th sept.

we left dover at 1700hrs, before that the lifeboat drill was held. it takes a \while as they have to call out all the cabin numbers something some other lines do not have to do. it was in the library a bit small, the numbers seems to go all over the place and nearly caught me out. i had 1st sitting in the 4 SEASONS dining room a table for 8 all very nice people. had smoked salmon,cock a leekie soup,entrecote of beef(it was great!) baked apple. dinner took about 90mins but was asked to leave once for the 2nd sitting.

i was a bit surprised to find out my balcony was non smoking. but as there was a smoking area the ICENI ROOM./ but only 5 seats in one corner wa for cigars and pipes(don't understand that?) had kettle in my cabin so i could have a drink on the balcony.

FRIDAY

arrived at anchor in guernsey, the sea was the calmest i had seen here! after breakfast in the dining room. swiss muesli is my favorite(some companies do not have it though!) it is called carribean muesli though! it was buffet style. i made my way to the neptune lounge as i had not booked a tour to get a tender ticker before the tour started. i got tender 3 went straight onto the tender and i was in guernsey. i wanted to go to herm but had missed the 0830 ferry the bnext onew was not until 1030 so had a walked around town. i looked for the pussers rum but the usual shop did not have it and the other shop it was 20£. i went on the ferry which wa packed upstairs so i stood at the back. got some nice pictures of guernsey and the BOUDICCA. herm has no cars and you can walk round it in an hour. i sat on the beach for a while then had a pub lunch before waiting for the ferry. we arrived in rosar steps as the harbour was not used as the tide was out. but i noticed the tide came in really quick and you could be caught out! when i got to guernsey i got the pussers then got the tender back to the ship. we left at 1720 and passed the AURORA no horns vwere blewn! i had waited for it so was dissapointed. i had vto rush to make it to the CAPTAIN'S COCKTAIL PARTY. then to dinner jumbo prawns,apple soup,pork loin,crepes suzzette. the show was BILLY ZANE which i really liked.

SATURDAY

arrived honfleur had breakfast then went o the neptune lounge to show my tour ticket to get a spot put on it. there was this man there who was LOUD, a show off! must have been an embarassment to hois wife. i thought oh! no not on our tour surely!! he wass but thankfully they split us up so did not really see him much. first we went to the distillery of calvados. a lovely placewith beautiful flowers. wew tried 2 brands of calvados the 2nd was 41% and very strong. the shop's prices seemed dear so did not buy any.then to try cider and different camenbert cheeses. then back to honfleur for a walkiing tour bof the town including the church. the loud man left before this so that was it. after the church had 30mins free time for shopping. then back to the ship for a late lunch in the dining room i had a buffet of turkey. so never had afternooon tea to make way for dinner. they had another cocktail party but only for gold and silver members! last dinner was pina colada soup,hot smoked salmon. strange that the couple opposite were sitting seperatly. it was not until the end we found it was their 56th wedding anniversary tonight! they did not want fuss! what a shame as could have had a cake and singing! then i packed. the show was the cellist, it was strange as they said no video taping but they filmed it and showed it in the cabins.

SUNDAY

i woke at 7am and missed us arriving in dover, had breakfast and went to see the cabin i was oin 12years ago. then n8am the deck was called and i was off, found my case unlike the braemar.

MY THOUGHTS

1st the comment form had nowhere to make any specific comments, no BRAEMAR room or similar where a model of the ship would be. all the other ships have them. the photo gallery had no prices, i had left it to the last day and had to go through 100's of pictures to find no sign of mine? i enjoyed the cruise despite these little things. i thought my sofa type single bed not very comfortable and the small lamp got very hot to lay under.

Archived