Best dive sites in Hawaii

jwmcq

I just booked an island hopping cruise in Hawaii and wanted to know which port has the best dive sites. Do any of you have any advice on diving in Hawaii? We have 2 days each on the four main islands.

Any suggestions or dive operators would be appreciated. We will be there the last week in January.

On Maui I've used Maui Dive Shop and Mike Severn's, with Mike Severn's being the best. Maui Dive Shop runs a very nice operation but they really have a lot of divers onboard. Sometimes you can barely move. But they are very thorough nonetheless, and I've had some excellent dives.

On Oahu I've had some very nice dives with Aaron's Dive Shop. The disadvantage of using them is if you have a certain dive you'd like to make. They do not own their own boat and will charter a boat, but the boat might also have another dive shop onboard. You basically go where the charter captain takes you, not necessarily where you'd like to go. However, if you don't have a destination in mind, they are great and I would dive with them again.

On "The Big Island" I would probably opt for Dive Makai, but that's because I like to do underwater photography and they are geared to go two speeds, slow and stop. So if Slow and Stopped are not for you, I'd look elsewhere.

I've never dived on Kauai.

You might want to arrange your dives well in advance. Dive boats in Hawaii like to leave early so they can get their dives in before the trade winds kick up about noon. I know that Maui Dive Shop, Mike Severn's and Ed Robinson's all leave the dock at about 6:00 a.m., so you'll likely miss diving on the day of your arrival. I'd try to book at least a month or more before your intended arrival because, often, the boats fill up fast.

I was just reading about Dive Makai yesterday - sounds like a great operation. They do not list any prices on their website though. Were their prices comparable to others? Have you ever heard of Jack's Diving Locker on Kona? Their website info looked good, but I really prefer referral's from those who have been there and done that.

Thanks again for the info - was the diving in Hawaii good? I would absolutely love to see a Manta Ray, but those dives are in the evenings which we will not have time on Kona.

I've lost the information ref the cost of Dive Makai but, as I recall, they were about the same as other dive operators. Call them and talk to them. They'll send you out a no obligation info packet.

I've never used Jack's but I've heard it is somewhat like Maui Dive Shop, a well run operation but a little crowded.

I love diving in Hawaii. Fish and topography rein on Maui and The Big Island, while wrecks are big on Oahu. (personal opinion)

I too would love to a Manta Ray, but so far, no luck. In Bora Bora I was supposed to be on a Manta Ray Dive but weather was such that the Rays never came in. So, instead, we went on a substitute dive, a shark dive. This turned out to be one of the best dives I've ever been on, so I can't complain.

We have gone with both, particularly enjoyed the nite Manta dives with Jack's. Dive Makai has newish owners, recent reviews indicate the same high degree of excellence as the previous folks. A 2 tank dive was around $110. the last time I looked.

I've already spoken with Dive Makai and they do not work with cruise ship passengers any longer (nor does Aloha Dive). The timing just doesn't work out. They like to go out early and with the tender situation in Kona, sometimes they had to hold up the dive boat waiting for cruisers.

But I've also heard back from Jack's Dive Locker and they go out at 9:00 and will even pick us up at the cruise ship pier and return us! And all for close to the same price. Now that's service. They also allow ride alongs, so our friends can go with us and snorkel. Look's like we will go with them.

Now I will work on Maui - but I am going to try Mike Severns.

Thanks again for all of the help. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

We used Jack's in June; they were great - professional, safety conscious and very accomodating for all levels. They're one of the few on the island that will do shallow shore dives for our 8 yr old, who has depth restrictions. However, they seem to book up quickly (may have just been that time of year) so plan ahead. We haven't used Dive Makai but have been through their shop and they also seem pleasant.

The night manta dives are awesome! We've also gone at Eel gardens (a novelty, but not very interesting) Hoover's (turtles) Aquarium, and a place called Cathedral or Carousel which had some interesting caves and reef formations plus tons of fish. Of all the islands IMHO the Big Island has the best diving.

We are on the PofAm leaving the 27th of October. I have booked through the ship a dive off Kona on the 31st of October. We will be docked off MAUI for about 36 hours and also off KAUAI for 32 hours.

Any idea's where to dive at these sites?

:)

Thanks Wa-mama - I am booked now with Jack's for Kona. They were extremely pleasant to work with on the phone. I am really looking forward to that dive.

Carl - we are also diving in Maui with Mike Severns diving. I have had several recommendations for them. http://www.mikesevernsdiving.com/

We decided not to dive in Kauai since we also wanted to go to Waimea Canyon and do a helicoptor tour and didn't want to deal with altitude restrictions. Don't forget you must wait 24 hours after diving to fly or go to altitude.

Archived