Anytime dining on Grand

Cool seas

This will be the first time that we have cruised with Princess and need to know about dining. We're only used to Ocean Village where everything is buffet dining. I understand that there is a buffet on The Grand but that you can also have a waiter service. Is this correct? Not completely sure how their dinning works. Also, on a foramal night, do we need to dress up even if we are just doing anytime? Really looking forward to this cruise but a little worried about some of the reviews we have seen. Thanks in advance:)

There are three main dining rooms on Grand Princess that serve the exact same menu. Two are for Anytime and one is for fixed seating. There is also a buffet, two specialty restaurants, pizza, and burgers/hot dogs. You are asked to observe the dress code in Anytime as you would in Traditional fixed seating. (Note, I say, "Asked," to avoid this turning in a drawn-out debate about dress.) This applies to evening meals only. For breakfast and lunch, just one of the three dining rooms are used and it is open seating (just like Anytime) and the dress is purely casual.

Just to add onto Spongerob's good description, the (extra pay) specialty restaurants often book up as the week progresses. If you are reasonably sure you want to have dinner at one or both of the specialty restaurants, decide early in the week and secure a reservations. You can cancel the reservation later if you change your mind. Reservations can be made the first afternoon from a table set up outside one of the restaurants (check Day 1 Patters for details) or via the DineLine from your cabin phone.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the answers. We always dress up for dinner anyway but not sure about the formal wear. If we stick to Horizon Court on formal nights will we be ok in smart/casual? I don't really want to get into the whole "whats acceptable" but when it says smart, will trousers and open shirt be ok for men or do they need a tie and jacket? As I said before this is all new to me.

You'll be fine in casual dress if you just want to go to the buffet. Don't think you need a tux or designer gown to go the dining room. Think 'dressed up', not strictly formal, and you'll probably be fine. Trust me, wars do not break out between passengers on board the ship if someone happens to wear a turtleneck under a blazer.

Archived