Transderm Scop......

aaannnthony

They are going to make more enemys than friends with that thing. A small ad would not be so bad. It is so big the right side does not even show up on my computer so I am missing a bunch of it anyway, which is fine with me.

I didn't realize it was showing up on everyone's computer. Thought they were just reserving it to irritate me. Wonder who allows it!!!
I don't get any of the ads by using the HOST file, it's free and very easy. If interested, go to http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm learn how you can turn off the ads too!

The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. This file is loaded into memory at startup, then Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local machine. Another feature of the HOSTS file is it's ability to block other applications from connecting to the Internet, as long the the entry exists.

You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, cookies, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the Server that supplies these little gems. Example - the following entry 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net blocks all files supplied by the DoubleClick Server to the web page you are viewing. This also prevents the server from tracking your movements.

Thanks Shipkicker. I'm at work now, but if it's on my home computer I will try that.
Every machine that is running Windows has a HOST file. I’ve always wondered why there is a big empty white area at the top of this board. I turned off (renamed) my HOST file and loaded this board and low and behold, there were the ads. Hosts file back on now and no ads.

I hope I don’t anger the owners of this web site. Using the HOST file is not illegal or inappropriate and had I not mentioned my use of the HOSTS file to block unwanted ads, no one would have ever known.

Archived