National Museum in Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam

fredmar

I have a handicapped son in a wheelchair and was wondering if anyone who visited the National Museum in Ho Chi Min City could advise me

of the accessibility in that building as we would like to include it in one

of our tours. Thank you.

I have a handicapped son in a wheelchair and was wondering if anyone who visited the National Museum in Ho Chi Min City could advise me

of the accessibility in that building as we would like to include it in one

of our tours. Thank you.

Exactly what do you mean the "National Museum"??? War Remnant Museum (formerly called the War CRIMES Museum)???

Presidential Palace where South Vietnam was essentially "given away" to the Communists???

The War Remnants Museum is easily accessible (street level). Buildings 3 and 5 can be VERY upsetting to Americans-Bldg 3 is composed almost ENTIRELY of photos of American "atrocities" against the Viet Cong/North Vietnamese.

Bldg 1 is EXTREMELY interesting-lots of maps and pictures of Viet Cong/ARVN/American encampments/pictures/military stuff.

If you are American and Vietnam War era age, the anti USA propaganda will really get to you. DH threw up all over the helicopter out front (and although he is Vietnam War age, he was deferred due to wife and kids-I am the one who went to Vietnam in 1970 with the USO)

Bldg 5 has all the Anti-War propaganda from the USA-including "flower power posters" and VERY prominently displayed pictures of John Kerry and Jane Fonda in North Vietnam.

I have been in the Presidential Palace 3/4 times. IIRC, there is an elevator to all floors (last time I was there-July-Microsoft had a meeting on the top floor). The basement is probably the most interesting-the CIA teletype machines are in the basement, as well as other US intelligence goodies, including all the classified maps.

If these are NOT what you mean, please advise.

This museum was mentioned in the ship's tour and I wanted to know if there were many step to the entrance. I don't know whether the War Museum and this one is the same thing.

You mentioned there are elevators which would be great for us. Please confirm that the War Museum and the National Museum are one and the same thing. I think there is only one museum in HCM.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

This museum was mentioned in the ship's tour and I wanted to know if there were many step to the entrance. I don't know whether the War Museum and this one is the same thing.

You mentioned there are elevators which would be great for us. Please confirm that the War Museum and the National Museum are one and the same thing. I think there is only one museum in HCM.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I think you may be referring to the Museum of Vietnamese History. Focus on the ancient Vietnamese dynasties through the French period.

There are three buildings I would consider "museums"-War Remnants, Presidential Palace (where I KNOW there is an elevator) and the Museum of History. There are also cathedrals and the post office is built to resemble Notre Dame. You are not allowed to go close to where the American Embassy was and the famous scenes with the helicopters leaving from the roof. But if you go across the street to the little park and hide behind the trees-you can get pretty good pictures and watch the Red Army guards run all the Americans out.

I have only been in the History Museum once and wasn't particularly interested. There is a lot of Cambodian/Thai/Cham stuff in there and I have spent quite a bit of time in Cambodia, so have seen enough of that type of artifact. Did not pay attention to facilities, as I was in a hurry to leave. I do remember it was a two story building, but I did not go to the second floor. Sorry I couldn't give you more info.

One of the water puppet shows in Saigon is in this building.

Archived