St Thomas/John/Martin Best Scuba island

cbros

My teens were open water certified in Aruba this summer and I'd like to arrange for a scuba excursion on our Eastern Caribeean itinerary. I'd appreciate any input on the best island to book a scuba excursion for them.

I've read that St. John snorkeling has been essentially destroyed. We snorkeled in St. Thomas 2 years ago and it was just OK. I have no idea what the scuba quality is in St Martin. I would like to pick the best scuba location for them as they had an incredible experience in Aruba. But since I don't scuba, I don't really have any idea which would be best.

Your advise please!

I did 2 boat dives with Low Key Watersports in St. John about 4 years ago on a cruise stop and they were 2 of my best dives ever. The sites had healthy, colorful reefs with 80+ foot vis. I would dive again with them in a heartbeat. I haven't gone diving in St. Thomas or St. Martin. But I have, on purpose, skipped opportunities to dive in St. Thomas because I haven't heard anything great about diving there.

• 2 weeks later...
I did 2 boat dives with Low Key Watersports in St. John about 4 years ago on a cruise stop and they were 2 of my best dives ever. The sites had healthy, colorful reefs with 80+ foot vis. I would dive again with them in a heartbeat. I haven't gone diving in St. Thomas or St. Martin. But I have, on purpose, skipped opportunities to dive in St. Thomas because I haven't heard anything great about diving there.

Is there really time to get to St. John and do a 2 tank dive before the ship leaves? Did you book thru the ship or use a diveshop you booked yourself? I'm going to be in St. Thomas on 3/18 on the Emerald Princess, and would like to do some diving. Thanks for suggestions.

Patti

We tried for years to schedule a dive on St. John, but by the time you get off of the ship, to Red Hook, and cross to St. John you miss the morning dive trip, and the afternoon trip may be too late.

Depending on when you're going, there is an operator there that just takes six divers, Collette at Six Paq Scuba, or something like that. If she isn't already booked on the day you'll be there you may be able to make arrangements with her.

I've heard Chris Sawyer is a good operator out of St. Thomas. A lot of folks do shore dives at Coki Beach on St. Thomas.

We did dive once in St. Martin when we cruised there. We found an operator on line that wasn't too far from the pier. Here's one that says they cater to cruise passengers - http://www.divestmaarten.com/

If I had to pick one it would probably be St. Maarten, but that's because I know that I would be able to fill my day with fun at the other places doing something else.

Archived