Is there such a thing as a fake toenail?

greysrule

I know my subject line sounds weird, but I had an incident with one of our horses in July which not only shattered my left big toe, but as of this past Saturday, I have no toenail! :eek: We leave to cruise on the Liberty on 9/23 and I would like to know if a nail salon can apply an acyrlic toenail directly to my skin (I've never used the acyrlic on my fingernails) or would I be better off just painting a fake toenail on with polish?

Thanks for any advice.:o

My boss has lost her big toenail a couple of times from marathon running. She just paints a toenail on and, unless she hadn't told me I would never have known.

Ask your nail salon, but if you have nothing for the nail to adhere to, I don't know how acrylic would stay on any better than polish.

If all you have is skin on your big toe, I doubt that any product will stick. If you have even a small amount, however, a tip could be attached to it and then the acrylic product could be applied as you would on a finger. If you decide to just paint a toenail on with polish, remember to take along the polish, so you can touch it up. Polish won't stay on skin long.

He said I dropped down a notch (how nice of him) and to put all my open-toed shoes on E-bay!

So I gather we'll all be reading about a man going overboard soon???

Of course, you could take this opportunity to take his credit card and buy yourself a half dozen pairs of Manolo and Jimmy Choo closed toe pumps. Hey, when you get a lemon, make lemonade!

I dropped a large sample book on my foot a year ago -- it bruised really badly -- and about a month later my large toenail showed the signs of bruising and breakage -- so my manicurist put acrylic on it so I wouldn't loose it and let it grow out -- so I have acrylic now on both large toes -- so they match -- it looks really nice!

I checked out the website and forwarded to my husband. I'm sure he would want me to order these ASAP. He said I dropped down a notch (how nice of him) and to put all my open-toed shoes on E-bay.:rolleyes: Thanks for the link!

My girlfriend uses a drug store large size stick on, as she lost her big toenail by dropping a drawer on her foot while she was moving - ouch for both of you. I never would have noticed if she hadn't showed me.

About the husband....and you've been married to him for 24 years? Talk about dropping down a notch, I think I'd drop him down an elevator shaft!

Hope he wasn't serious.

I agree with Jane....couldn't be a better time for the Manolo's! ;)

My boss has lost her big toenail a couple of times from marathon running. She just paints a toenail on and, unless she hadn't told me I would never have known.

Ask your nail salon, but if you have nothing for the nail to adhere to, I don't know how acrylic would stay on any better than polish.

As a matter of fact, a previous co-worker of mine was also a runner and just painted polish on her skin, so I guess that's what I'll end up doing. Thanks for the reply.

So I gather we'll all be reading about a man going overboard soon???

Of course, you could take this opportunity to take his credit card and buy yourself a half dozen pairs of Manolo and Jimmy Choo closed toe pumps. Hey, when you get a lemon, make lemonade!

Too funny! Yeah, my husband is a trip. Definitely a foot man. Hey, I can't help it that a 1300 lb horse freaked out and stepped on me!:eek:

I know my subject line sounds weird, but I had an incident with one of our horses in July which not only shattered my left big toe, but as of this past Saturday, I have no toenail! :eek: We leave to cruise on the Liberty on 9/23 and I would like to know if a nail salon can apply an acyrlic toenail directly to my skin (I've never used the acyrlic on my fingernails) or would I be better off just painting a fake toenail on with polish?

Thanks for any advice.:o

Last year three months before our October cruise my husband dropped his laptop on his big toe and much of his toenail cracked off. He was left with a jagged edge with went at a diagonal angle across his toe and was about a quarter of an inch at the longes point. I used to be a nail tech years ago, so I took acrylic and built him a new toenail. I too wasn't sure if it would stick to his skin on his nailbed, but it did. The last of it recently grew out, so now he has no more acrylic, but it lasted for over a year.

Sharon

About the husband....and you've been married to him for 24 years? Talk about dropping down a notch, I think I'd drop him down an elevator shaft!

Hope he wasn't serious.

;)

Yes, the hubby really does love me even with a bad toe!:) We got married young and stayed together this long - there must be something there.

I think I'm just going to try the polish thing first, maybe I'll do it this weekend to see how it looks and how long it stays.

Tes, Kiss does. You can find them at Walmart etc. I had a wedding to go to and bought them for an instant french pedicure! Voila ! No one knew my toenails were fake!!

Sister

Thanks for the info! I noticed that you couldn't order directly from the Kiss website.

I've had a french manicure with acrylics on all 10 of my toes done for many cruises, they look great and reguire no upkeep for weeks. I Don't have to worry about any touch up. I figure I wear my feet (toes) out their in my dressy shoes and poolside I might as well have them looking good.

• 5 months later...

I just found this thread and am so glad!

My toe next to my big toe is my longest toe. Last night my toenail fell off, but there is another nail under it. I remember this happening last year around this time. I think it's from wearing closed toe high heels and boots all winter and putting too much pressure on the toenail. I think the same thing may be happening on the other foot.

So - there's a toenail there, but not a pretty one. It's short and kind of bumpy. But it's solid and hard, so it's definitely a toenail. Could I get a fake nail put on this? How does that work? I've never had fake nails of any kind. How does it grow out? How long does it last? Does it mean that the real nail would be damaged even more?

Thanks so much! We leave in 2 weeks and I hate the thought of an ugly toenail (or two!)!

This is too funny. I have had both my big nails removed due to ingrown nails. I am very concerned about people looking at my feet because they are ugly... I'll have to try the polish.. thanks. It's very hard to find closed toed sandels.

I had my big toe nail removed many years ago from having ingrown toe nails (I've since learned that I didn't have to have the entire nail removed). For years, I painted the skin on my toe and it looked fine. Granted the polish comes off my skin every two or three days.

Anyway, I got tired of not having a nail to polish, so I asked my nail tech for an answer. We tried a few things and I settled on acrylic painted directly on my nail bed. I have no nail to attach the acrylic to, however we make sure that there isn't any lose skin on the nail bed, then she places acrylic directly on the skin. It doesn't extend beyond the nail bed, but looks OK and lasts at least a month (I have a pedicure once a month and she peels it off and replaces with another acrylic). So, I would suggest with a great deal of confidence to have your nail tech put acrylic on your toe nail bed and enjoy your sandals!:cool:

ok here you go...I will answer any questions anyone may have.

They exist in many companies make them

Revlon's are Perfect Pedicure =comes in 3 shades, some have art packs with them .. and are so darn easy to apply...

Fingr's Dazzle toes= very cute with flower or without and flower with rhinestones 3styles available

Total match=This kit comes with the matching fingers in the same pack as toes it's called Nailene's Total Match... pretty french

And recentley there is a new product called

Fing'rs Party toeZ =what this kit is The Big toe is a fake nail and the kit comes with matching polish for the remainder of the toes...

I know you will have questions, and like I said , since this is my business, I am so happy I can help!

These are the one's I carry now, because they have proven to be the best and people with illness, toe damage and others have told me which one's I should keep in my store.

ok here you go...I will answer any questions anyone may have.

They exist in many companies make them

Revlon's are Perfect Pedicure =comes in 3 shades, some have art packs with them .. and are so darn easy to apply...

Fingr's Dazzle toes= very cute with flower or without and flower with rhinestones 3styles available

Total match=This kit comes with the matching fingers in the same pack as toes it's called Nailene's Total Match... pretty french

And recentley there is a new product called

Fing'rs Party toeZ =what this kit is The Big toe is a fake nail and the kit comes with matching polish for the remainder of the toes...

I know you will have questions, and like I said , since this is my business, I am so happy I can help!

These are the one's I carry now, because they have proven to be the best and people with illness, toe damage and others have told me which one's I should keep in my store.

First of all, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your username! :)

If you are really up for questions...

How long do each of these last? Especially considering time at the pool and the beach and such.

And, where can I get them?

First of all, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your username! :)

If you are really up for questions...

Yes because I was once in your shoe...LOL

How long do each of these last? Especially considering time at the pool and the beach and such.

A least 10 days, I just bring extra in case, ya toe is missing ....ROLM( toes) O

And, where can I get them?

ok here is the link to the store where I bought them, of the one's I bought, she's on ebay:D if they let me ... say

http://stores.ebay.com/VortexJewels

oh yeah she has nails too... I wear them too. I can't wear acrylic so hers work out for me , I just order a pen too, it's for doing french nails, so easy.. too easy... saving my $65 pedicure and do my own... Use the money for a Margarita night:eek:

I have no nail on either big toe, just rough thick skin. Will these stay on without any nail at all to adhere to? How hard are they to get off? I just painted the skin and it didn't look too bad! Of course if anyone is that close to my feet......we better have a personal relationship!!!!!

I have no nail on either big toe, just rough thick skin. Will these stay on without any nail at all to adhere to? How hard are they to get off? I just painted the skin and it didn't look too bad! Of course if anyone is that close to my feet......we better have a personal relationship!!!!!

OK with most of the kits you can either glue them on or use the self sticking tabs so it's up to you. :)

To Remove you use the artificial nail and polish remover, it's easy, or you can soak them in acetone. The stickies tabs are easy to remove same way.

Well with these there won't be an issue you can't tell there fake, at all.:D

Here I thought I was one of the few who had (or is) losing a big toe nail. I stubbed my toe against something and it was terribly sore and bruised for quite awhile. Then the nail started to discolor. Wouldn't you know I did the same thing to the other foot! Now I am losing both big toe nails! The doctor told me have the nails cut off. No way was I going to have to endure the pain of injections and then the pain after the numbing injection wore off.

So now I am just trimming the old, dead nail and watching the new one grow. I figure by the time my cruise is (Dec 08) that I will have one toe with a regrown nail and the other toe with no nail. I am going to try the nail polish route first to see how that goes.

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it!!

Archived