Shadow Mexican Riviera 2008

LaPaloma

We are trying it again--our last Silversea cruise was the Mexican Riviera in 2004--some friends joined us at the last moment, and we were upgraded to the two bedroom Grand Suite-- The suite was outstanding! Overall the cruise was just OK--food and service were just fair. (compared to the Seabourn), we were disappointed in the friendliness of the staff--especially the Officers. I get the feeling from this board that Silversea has taken steps to improve in this area. We realize that with almost double the passenger load, its difficult for the staff to become as close to the passengers as on Seabourn. We have a Silver suite this time, and in the material we have received, I noted that we will have a dinner one evening with an Officer--on our last cruise--living in a Grand Suite, we never met one Officer! This a not a big thing, but we do enjoy our dinners with Senior Staff on Seabourn! It's a long time off, but we are looking forward to giving Silversea another try. I'm sure it's going to be a winner this time!

I remember that we were on the same voyage in December, 2004. We also discussed on this board after the cruise. If things turn out well, we may be on the Panama Canal voyage this coming December, again on the Shadow. Let us wish all of us good luck and bon voyage!

I remember that we were on the same voyage in December, 2004. We also discussed on this board after the cruise. If things turn out well, we may be on the Panama Canal voyage this coming December, again on the Shadow. Let us wish all of us good luck and bon voyage!

You will love the canal passage--we did it years ago on the Sea Goddess--We feel it was our best cruise ever--it was L.A. to Aruba--40 people on board--it was a ball! Suggest-- before your canal trip--read "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough. You will probably have a transit guide as you go thru--that along with the book really gives an insight into how tough it was to build! Don

Voyage 3827 has been raised in price from 50% off plus 5% Venetian discount to 40% off plus 5% Venetian discount. (This sales "tactic" is very similar to what Oceania usually does.) At the former discount, it sold so well that practically all but the larger suites are gone a whole year before sailing date.

We had done a similar itinerary on the Shadow in December, 2004, and are planning on Panama Canal on the Shadow this December and Oceania's (cheaper) Greek Islands around October, 2008. So we won't be taking that voyage. For the rest of you interested, hurry up and good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

As per one well known travel/cruise booking site (which cannot be named on this board), ALL regular cabins on this voyage are sold out (all within five weeks after being made a "silver sailing", and still more than a year before sailing date). Only the larger suites are left, starting with medallion suites at $7500+ (the premium suites have been at only 20% "regular" discount)!

Voyage 3827, Mexican Riviera in November, 2008. Hope this clarifies.

We were on the Mexican Riviera cruise with Meow in 2004--if I remember correctly it was a complete sell out that year--guess it's the lack of overseas flights for the U.S passengers that make it so popular. It will be hard to lose luggage from Tucson to L.A. Our actual airtime will be 35 to 40 minutes!

I hope we are the ones that get your suite Marycang! We are indeed waitlisted for a Vista suite. By the time I found out about the Silver Sailing discount, all the Vista cabins were gone! My TA is pretty confident that there will be cancellations this far out. We live in Los Angeles, so the fact that we could cruise at such a good price, on such a wonderful ship, without flying to some other city was a big incentive. My hubby's birthday occurs during the timeframe of the cruise, so that was another reason it was appealing......we have been to most of the ports before in land vacations, but the idea of cruising there on the Shadow is a terrific prospect. We have traveled on SS before, and probably our favorite cruise ever was a magical vacation on the Whisper from Rome to Athens in May, in 2002.

• 1 month later...
Suggest-- before your canal trip--read "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough. You will probably have a transit guide as you go thru--that along with the book really gives an insight into how tough it was to build! Don

Thanks for the tip. We are on the Shadow's canal trip in May 2008 and so I took your advice and I'm on the waitlist for the book at our local library.

Archived