cruise lines anchoring in King's wharf for 2008?

nant4me

Hi, I got back from Bermuda on NCL Crown this August and when I attended the future cruise seminar I noticed that the cruise ships won't be docking in Hamilton. I was told that the ships will have to take turns docking at King's Wharf and that for 2 days they would be anchored in the bay and people will be tendered in. Has anyone else heard this? When we checked the NCL website upon return it did show the Dawn being anchored for 2 days and docked for one. Now when I went back on the website to check again it doesn't show this on the itinerary. I just want people to be aware so that there are no surprises when they reach Bermuda and find they are being tendered in. If anyone has new info please let me know. Thanks!

There has been an extensive discussion about this on the NCL Boards. So far its only NCL that will tender. Bermuda limits the number of ships that arrive to the number of its Piers but it has a long arrangement with NCL which has traditionally sent the largest number of ships to Bermuda which also stay there a long time. So they are allowing NCL to use the grassy bay anchorage and tending in. At this time its the only ship that will alternate between mooring at a berth and at anchorage is the NCL Dawn which is too big for St George. Isn't the Hamilton berths scheduled to be closed next year? I don't think this information is "new" but it explains what is going on.

here is the Dawns iternary and it does show at anchor some days

(BTW its a choice between being at anchor or being out at sea since the other cruise lines have first dibs on these days)

Bermuda has special ferries that it will use for tendering so it shouldn't add that much time but it will of course add some.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/itineraries.html?destinationCode=BERMUDA&destinationCode=CARIBBEAN&shipCode=DAWN

Hi, I got back from Bermuda on NCL Crown this August and when I attended the future cruise seminar I noticed that the cruise ships won't be docking in Hamilton. I was told that the ships will have to take turns docking at King's Wharf and that for 2 days they would be anchored in the bay and people will be tendered in. Has anyone else heard this? When we checked the NCL website upon return it did show the Dawn being anchored for 2 days and docked for one. Now when I went back on the website to check again it doesn't show this on the itinerary. I just want people to be aware so that there are no surprises when they reach Bermuda and find they are being tendered in. If anyone has new info please let me know. Thanks!

We are booked on the Dawn to Bermuda in May 2008. She anchores two days than docks one day. Not too happy about having to tender in, :( but I guess it will only add a little more travel time to our day.

We took the Segway excursion at the dockyards last Thursday and the gentleman explained to us that next year no ships will dock in Hamilton. They are pouring concrete for a longer pier in the dockyards right now.

How was the Segway Tour? We are thinking of doing it when we arrive in Bermuda in Oct. Did the tour just consist of riding around in the British Maritime area or something else? Thanks for the information.

How was the Segway Tour? We are thinking of doing it when we arrive in Bermuda in Oct. Did the tour just consist of riding around in the British Maritime area or something else? Thanks for the information.

We had a great time, and the Segway was easy to handle once you got the "feel" of it. He taught us how to operate it and we practiced in a grassy area before moving on to the fort. We went up around the commisioners house and the dock area. We had headsets on so he gave us the history as we went along. The whole tour was about 1.5 hrs for $79pp. Lots of fun!

We will be heading to Bermuda next August on the NCL Dream. We are docked in St. George for the whole time. We have never been before so will we be docked in St. George or will we also have to be tendered in?

St George has two docks and no tendering.

• 2 weeks later...

Just go to the NCL site and check the itinerary for YOUR cruise departure date. It'll say whether or not you are tendering from Grassy Bay. We originally booked the Aug. 3 cruise but when we noticed "Grassy Bay" and tendering we switched to Aug. 10 sailing - no tendering.

Archived