First timer, cabin / upgrade?

julie12345

I am taking my first cruise on Sovereign of the Seas-RCCL (10/22 - anyone else out there?). I am on the 3rd level, in the middle somewhere. I have been reading on here and don't get the impression that it's a real great spot, but I also heard that it will be better for motion sickness due to less rocking of the boat. Is there any chance of getting a free updgrade when I get on the ship if it's not full? Or any other tricks? Or any opinions/tips about my room where it is now?

Thanks to all of you for all of your postings, I have already learned a lot!

Julie

I got a last-minute upgrade right before Mom and I sailed to Alaska, so it does happen, but I think it's a mystery how and when the Upgrade Fairy strikes.

In my opinion, any cabin on a ship beats the view from my couch.

I also think lower levels are less rocky so if you think seasickness will be an issue, you might be in a very good spot.

Congrats on your fast-approaching trip! Relax and enjoy!

If you get an upgrade, don't plan on getting it after you get on the ship. I've never seen that happen. If it happens it usually happens towards the end of the booking period as categories of cabins on the ship begin to sell out and the cruise line has to adjust their inventory of available cabins. From my experience there is little you can do to increase your chances of getting a free upgrade. If your willing to pay a reasonable cost to upgrade your cabin and you booked your cruise directly with RCCL you can call RCCL directly every few days starting about 60 days before your cruise and ask if they there are any opportunities to improve your cabin category for a fee. It really depends on your timing and how annoying you want to be or how lucky you are.

That said, our first cruise was on Sovereign and although it doesn't have everything that that the newer "super sized ships" have, SOS is one of our favorite ships and she has had some significant major upgrades in recent years. I wouldn't worry too much about your cabin location. It will help if you have any motion sickness issues and you probably won't be spending a lot of time in your cabin.

Thanks for your help. You all have made me feel better about our room. And since we haven't sailed before I am a little worried about motion-sickness so it sounds like I'm in the right spot.

And yes - you're right that it is a better spot than my couch!

Thanks!

Thanks for your help. You all have made me feel better about our room. And since we haven't sailed before I am a little worried about motion-sickness so it sounds like I'm in the right spot.

And yes - you're right that it is a better spot than my couch!

Thanks!

since you have not ever sailed you have nothing to compare it to.. which is a good thing.. everything will be all new and shiney.

How bad do you get motion sickness in a car-- or on an amusment ride?

sounds like you are where you should be-- low and midship is the place to be to feel less motion

Archived