Cash Deposit on SeaPass Acct. How much?

lucywestie

I closed out my credit cards and use a bank debit card instead. I want to use my debit card on my cruise instead of putting a large sum of money on my Seapass card but how does that work? Does RCCL withdraw daily from my card or can I make a lump sum payment at the end of the cruise?

Leslie

We did this Leslie and it was fine , we didnt pay anything up front but were called to the pursers desk twice on a 19 night B2B to clear the accumalated bill. It wasnt a problem, just takes a few minutes.

Was trying to avoid the reason for not having one but here goes...apparently I am the only person ever to have to go through consumer credit counseling and therefore was advised not to get any more until it is over in two years.......the consumer credit agency doesnt report to the credit reporting agencies its the credit card companies reporting to the credit report agencies that you had to get bills put all in one payment. They are getting their money but its through another person so that they would stop hassling us......I know I know... I probably shouldnt be cruising because of what has happend but this was a gift from my father for graduating college...;...again so in essence I cannot get one probably if I tried now.......I wasnt planning on getting a car rental because we dont have money for that and didnt think I would need it....yes I was concerned about getting sick.....was concerned with needing emergency type money....but what can I do....I have actually tried to apply for a credit card and cannot get one....I know its extremely embarrasing........but I cant throw the cruise back in my dad's face just because we screwed up our credit on our own.......I mean its less than 15k but thats enough to me to feel like a million....we are almost done but again it has put a dent in our credit.....dent....pfff...its put it in the ground six feet under....so yes I just shared something I shouldnt have but I am trying to gain information just like the OP and praying that nothing terrible happens as we have no back up......but what did people back in the sixties do when credit wasnt so liberal as it is now?

AW Katie , dont you feel bad NOR embarrased.....

You are not the first or the last person to be in this position, bless you , you just top up your sea pass account as you need and have a wonderful cruise :)

Was trying to avoid the reason for not having one but here goes...apparently I am the only person ever to have to go through consumer credit counseling and therefore was advised not to get any more until it is over in two years.......the consumer credit agency doesnt report to the credit reporting agencies its the credit card companies reporting to the credit report agencies that you had to get bills put all in one payment. They are getting their money but its through another person so that they would stop hassling us......I know I know... I probably shouldnt be cruising because of what has happend but this was a gift from my father for graduating college...;...again so in essence I cannot get one probably if I tried now.......I wasnt planning on getting a car rental because we dont have money for that and didnt think I would need it....yes I was concerned about getting sick.....was concerned with needing emergency type money....but what can I do....I have actually tried to apply for a credit card and cannot get one....I know its extremely embarrasing........but I cant throw the cruise back in my dad's face just because we screwed up our credit on our own.......I mean its less than 15k but thats enough to me to feel like a million....we are almost done but again it has put a dent in our credit.....dent....pfff...its put it in the ground six feet under....so yes I just shared something I shouldnt have but I am trying to gain information just like the OP and praying that nothing terrible happens as we have no back up......but what did people back in the sixties do when credit wasnt so liberal as it is now?

Enjoy the cruise and don't worry about it. Sometimes special situations call for added flexibility. Sounds like you do have a backup plan if an emergency does happen, so you are pretty much covered.

The best of luck to you in rebuilding your credit.

Also, I would suggest talking to a financial advisor that is not 'selling' credit counseling if you ever find yourself in a similar situation again. Often there are steps that can be taken to avoid having to use consumer credit counseling...but that is neither here nor there.

katie, congratulations on working to get out of debt! you surely don't owe anyone here an explanation!

my children do not have credit cards, and they are grown! that has been their choice in how to handle money! they use checking acct debit/visa's for everything!

we have always used our checking account visa debit card to back our onboard accounts, never had a problem with holds on our account, never had any problems settling our account....the balance on our statement (that they put under our door the last night, just came directly out off of the debit card, no problems with holds, in fact usually the balance doesn't even hit the bank for several days after our trip is over! we do have credit cards for emergencies only, but do like to have it all paid when the trip is over!

Hope you enjoy the trip dad gave you, I know my kids still look forward to being invited whenever we offer to take them! Great family vacation, I am sure you will love cruising!

Beverly

Enjoy the cruise and don't worry about it. Sometimes special situations call for added flexibility. Sounds like you do have a backup plan if an emergency does happen, so you are pretty much covered.

The best of luck to you in rebuilding your credit.

Also, I would suggest talking to a financial advisor that is not 'selling' credit counseling if you ever find yourself in a similar situation again. Often there are steps that can be taken to avoid having to use consumer credit counseling...but that is neither here nor there.

Thank you for the advice....this was actually a non profit agency...they have done wonders for us....reduced interest rates and reduced balances and in one or two cases reduced it by half....their efforts cut the whole miserable situation by two years.....thank you Lord!! But you are right!!

katie, congratulations on working to get out of debt! you surely don't owe anyone here an explanation!

my children do not have credit cards, and they are grown! that has been their choice in how to handle money! they use checking acct debit/visa's for everything!

we have always used our checking account visa debit card to back our onboard accounts, never had a problem with holds on our account, never had any problems settling our account....the balance on our statement (that they put under our door the last night, just came directly out off of the debit card, no problems with holds, in fact usually the balance doesn't even hit the bank for several days after our trip is over! we do have credit cards for emergencies only, but do like to have it all paid when the trip is over!

Hope you enjoy the trip dad gave you, I know my kids still look forward to being invited whenever we offer to take them! Great family vacation, I am sure you will love cruising!

Beverly

thank you so much for your kind words. I wish your title said Katiesmomtoo!!! lol:D

Ok here is my suggestion (take it or leave it)

But I would consider a prepaid credit card. It works just like a cc and has the same protection if you need it. And no credit check. Just seems safer to me.

Candice

I have thought of that too...I see the greendot ones in the walmart....hmmm...

I closed out my credit cards and use a bank debit card instead. I want to use my debit card on my cruise instead of putting a large sum of money on my Seapass card but how does that work? Does RCCL withdraw daily from my card or can I make a lump sum payment at the end of the cruise?

Leslie

We did this Leslie and it was fine , we didnt pay anything up front but were called to the pursers desk twice on a 19 night B2B to clear the accumalated bill. It wasnt a problem, just takes a few minutes.

Hope this doesn't sound like a foolish question. Why did you have to clear up the accumulated charges before the end of the cruise?

We put $200 on our SeaPass the first thing when we got on the ship. I had read a horror story about someone's credit card being charged some erroneous charges and they had a dreadful time disputing it with RCCL so I decided cash was the way to go for us. A warning though: Keep track of what you are spending. They will decline your charge when you run out of money. I saw it happen to a lady in the photo line. She was told by the photo clerk to go to the purser's desk and add money. So, make sure you know what your balance is. The purser can give you a printout at any time.

What happens if you do not spend all the money you put on your SeaPass?

Katie - CCC... been there, done that. Believe me, the time will fly and then you'll be FLOODED with credit card offers in the mail. But we wouldn't have bought our first house 2 years ago if we hadn't done CCC.

Our very first cruise we met a couple that had cruised dozens of times. We sat with them in the terminal waiting to board and it being our first cruise, we asked tons of questions. One of the questions we asked was how much should we expect our bill to be? They told us they spent less than $200 every cruise on their SeaPass account. They didn't buy the foo-foo drinks, they just got off in the ports and walked around and looked at stuff - bought a t-shirt or two - and took part in all of the games, classes and of course the pool.

She felt like they still had a full cruise experience, and trying to get out for under $200 had become almost a game to them!

I think about them from time to time, especially when its time to settle up our SeaPass account!

Ann

Archived