Dining with Officers

DinsdalePiranha

Does anyone know if they are still doing their "Dining with Officers" program?

We were on the Spirit last year for one of the first events and had a truly wonderful evening with the Food and Beverage Manager. We were invited because we expressed interest at our Cruise Critic gathering.

Heading on the Pearl in late November and hoping to repeat the experience.

While on the Star recently, we dined with the Captain, Staff Captain and Hotel Director. It was lovely and they were all excellent company. However, those 3 positions are forbidden to drink ANY alcohol during the term of their contract so don't be insulted if they don't take a glass of wine.

We later dined with the F&B manager and the Concierge and that, too was a wonderful time.

Does anyone know if they are still doing their "Dining with Officers" program?

We were on the Spirit last year for one of the first events and had a truly wonderful evening with the Food and Beverage Manager. We were invited because we expressed interest at our Cruise Critic gathering.

Heading on the Pearl in late November and hoping to repeat the experience.

F&B manager is not an officer. Only deck and engine officers are real officer as they are the only one with a maritime license.

I am sorry, but according to the NCL (and most all other cruise lines) organizational chart, the F&B Manager is an Officer.

You are correct that Deck and Engine hold maritime certificates, but they are not the only ones limited to being officers.

According to most cruise lines, senior officers (not including deck and engine) include the Hotel Manager, Executive Chef, Chief Purser, Guest Relations Manager, Front Office Manager, Bar Manager, Food and Beverage Manager, Restaurant Manager, Cheif Housekeeper......... and so on...

There is a difference between senior officers and senior management.

I agree that they are management and should indeed have officer privileges and status. But they will never be real officers as they do not hold a maritime certificate. Nor do they have the extensive safety training as we have.

F&B manager is not an officer. Only deck and engine officers are real officer as they are the only one with a maritime license.

Ask me if I care.

The Hotel is what a cruise ship is all about. The senior officers of the hotel can make or break your cruise. And it doesn't matter if you call them officers or not.

While on the Star recently, we dined with the Captain, Staff Captain and Hotel Director. It was lovely and they were all excellent company. However, those 3 positions are forbidden to drink ANY alcohol during the term of their contract so don't be insulted if they don't take a glass of wine.

We later dined with the F&B manager and the Concierge and that, too was a wonderful time.

The captain can't have a glass of wine or beer?

I always remember Captian Stubing having some vino with dinner

btw Gopher and Isaac were offficers too:D

I had the chance to dine with two of the officers (at the captains table) during one of my first cruises on the Dolphin IV. I have never got to do it again, but given the chance would accept the invitiation.

(Just in case anyone from the Crown is reading these post!!) Hint..Hint!

We dined with the staff captain on the Spirit in November and it was absolutely wonderful! Then in July we dined at the Captain's table -- divine!

I believe it varies by ship (and hotel director). When we were on the Dawn in March we spoke with the Hotel Director about this and he told us they don't "do" that on the Dawn -- too many passengers. Too bad... it's a great experience, and wonderful to meet some of these great people.

Guest Anorak33

Pulaski - I'll tell you why we were pleased to be invited to dine with the ships officers ( hired hands as you term them) when we actually did it for a QE2 world cruise - the officer at our table signed all the booze bill for the entire table every night, we could order whatever we wanted and it didn't cost us a cent.

The downside was having to share a table with a permanent resident on QE2 who we found to be a little less than the ultimate tablemate for us.

So I guess it was like a bribe really...............

Certainly on QE2 ship's officers did have the odd glass of wine and even a cognac at the end of the meal.

Why Would You Want To Dine With The Hired Hands?

If they are good company I don't give a damn who we dine with!

If they are rotten company I don't give a damn how prestigious or famous they are!

The no-alcohol for the 3 top officers is a fairly new restriction on NCL. I've seen captains on other ships and lines get very "happy"--even treated them to drinks myself.

On our Majesty cruise in 2005, we were fortunate to be invited with 3 other couples to dine with the Captain and Hotel Director, and two other department heads. It was a terrific evening, a great meal prepared specially for the occasion, and we even got a visit from the head chef. I'd do it again in a second!!

The no-alcohol for the 3 top officers is a fairly new restriction on NCL. I've seen captains on other ships and lines get very "happy"--even treated them to drinks myself.

The alcohol policy of NCL was implemented August 2000 and has zero tolerance for Captain, Staff captain, Chief Engineer, Chief Engineer Jr, Hotel Director and all watchkeeping officer on deck and engine.

Pulaski -

The downside was having to share a table with a permanent resident on QE2 who we found to be a little less than the ultimate tablemate for us.

Was that Beatrice Muller? I sometimes wonder what sort of person would spend all her time on a cruise ship - what was she like, other than not being terribly good company?

Was that Beatrice Muller? I sometimes wonder what sort of person would spend all her time on a cruise ship - what was she like, other than not being terribly good company?

I'd really hate to spend dinner with her...since she's been dead for a few years.

Actually, she was a visionary and a pioneer. Ms. Muller examined her finances and the cost of an assisted living facility and found that it wasn't much different to be on the QE2 all the time, where her meals were prepared and medical care was readily available. So, rather than be stuck in a facility, she chose to travel the world by living on the QE2 instead.

Lots of people live on their boats--she just chose to live on a bigger one!

Guest Anorak33

I am sorry to hear Bea is no longer with us, we have been on 2 world cruises on qe2 "with" her - the last was only about 4 or 5 years ago at the most, how time flies, she was certainly a character and was pretty lively then even though she was about 80.

Archived