What equipment needed for snorkeling on our own?

webnut

We are doing the Eastern Caribbean in November. We wanted to snorkel on our own with our 2 boys (6 and 8). We have masks/fins/snorkel from years ago. Do we need any other equipment? I keep seeing posts about a vest. Also, hubby and I have the scuba shoes and gloves....too much?

Can you just go out on the beaches and snorkel on your own? Islands are Labadee, Samana DR, Charlotte Amalie ST.

Thanks

Dorothy

Sounds like you have everything. We have our own vests and we like them as we have seen some poor excuses for vests in the past. If you can get to St. Johns from St Thomas they have a national Park and the ranger gives you a set of instructions before you proceed on your own. The ferry ride over is very enjoyable as well. Most cruises have an excursion if you like going with them.

We will be snorkeling the Southern islands in January. I am trying to find out which islands offer the best snorkeling of southern islands.

Enjoy

Deaconlarry

Archived