Diving Question??

bear803

:confused: My boyfriend and I will be going on our first cruise on NCL in 1/08. He will be scuba diving in Roatan. I thought he would be renting a wet suit but he says he really wants to bring his own. So my question is what do you do with the wet, wet suit, to dry? The cabins are so small. Help! Any other advise about packing scuba gear for a first time cruiser would great. Thanks

:confused: My boyfriend and I will be going on our first cruise on NCL in 1/08. He will be scuba diving in Roatan. I thought he would be renting a wet suit but he says he really wants to bring his own. So my question is what do you do with the wet, wet suit, to dry? The cabins are so small. Help! Any other advise about packing scuba gear for a first time cruiser would great. Thanks

They should rinse it for you on the dive boat, so it will have some time to dry a litle before you head back to the ship. I have heard some have a time called "beer and gear" where they rinse their own equipment out by the pool, let it dry some poolside while having a beer after returning to the ship. I felt my gear was rinsed enough on the dive boat that I did not do this. Then there should be a line or something to hang it on in the cabin's shower until it is completely dry to put away. Or you could rationalize that you NEED a balcony to dry gear on and splurge for a balcony. :p

They should rinse it for you on the dive boat, so it will have some time to dry a litle before you head back to the ship. I have heard some have a time called "beer and gear" where they rinse their own equipment out by the pool, let it dry some poolside while having a beer after returning to the ship. I felt my gear was rinsed enough on the dive boat that I did not do this. Then there should be a line or something to hang it on in the cabin's shower until it is completely dry to put away. Or you could rationalize that you NEED a balcony to dry gear on and splurge for a balcony. :p

You are very lucky. We have never had any dive operation rinse our equipment with the exception of Blue Ocean Safari in Costa Maya, when we have been on a cruise. I would not count on the dive ops rinsing your equipment.

Wow - I guess I was lucky. In Roatan we rinsed our own, but it was at the dive shop so it was still somewhat dry by the time we returned to the ship. BOS rinsed ours for us in Costa Maya and Dive with Cristina rinsed ours for us in Cozumel as well. I had not realized that was rare.

Wow - I guess I was lucky. In Roatan we rinsed our own, but it was at the dive shop so it was still somewhat dry by the time we returned to the ship. BOS rinsed ours for us in Costa Maya and Dive with Cristina rinsed ours for us in Cozumel as well. I had not realized that was rare.

I think dive shops rinse cruiser's gear less often because many times they take you directly back to the ship after the second dive. I know that many of the shops in Cozumel will rinse your gear and keep it over night for you if you dive with them several days in a row, but usually not wetsuits.

In St. Thomas, Admiralty dive rinsed my gear for me, but only because I went back to their shop after the 3 dives and not directly back to the ship.

Hi,

Rinse in the shower (along with me) when I get back to the ship, wring out, put on the chair on my balcony held down with my fins. Next morning, dry as a bone (I usually bring a 3mm Henderson full suit). I do keep the chair back against the wall to keep it from sight (I usually get a stern cabin) and from blowing overboard as it gets drier.

Randall

I am booking a trip with Jack's Dive Locker in Kona and this is what their web page says:

On the way home the crew will break down and wash all the gear so that when we get back to the shop (usually between 2:30 and 3pm) you can hang it up in the locker or take it straight home.

I guess I have a knack for picking the truly full service guys. ;)

Most balconies have a rail, and then about a 4-6 inch gap and then some type of bulkhead, some plexiglass or solid steel, and some vertical railings. I usually take my wet suits, drape the shoulders over the railing, and bring the arms back under the railing, between the gap. I'll also tie the rear zipper pull string around the railing, just in case, as well. My BC shoulder strap also goes around the railing, and I clip together. My regulator first stage goes under the railing, and up over the top, and inboard. The weight of the first stage is enough to keep it secure. Dive bag strap also is secured around the rail. Mask fins and snorkel are on the deck, near the cabin door.

I haven't lost anything yet!:eek:

• 1 month later...

Next spring we're going on our 1st diving cruise. I have read on other threads that some people bring very sturdy suction hangers and use them in the shower. Others have said they secure their items on the balcony with bungeee cords. I plan on using the suction hanger with my heavy duty hanger. I'm hoping to rinse before returning to the ship.

Archived