Victory Coming To Norfolk

vafamily5

Yes and no to the worth it part. We sailed the Victory on the 2 day cruise to nowhere in June as a quick weekend getaway and had fun, but were disappointed in the staff as well as some other things. Now that could just be a fluke, but I certainly wouldn't rule the cruise out because of the ship itself even though we had some issues. The 2 day cruise was way too short and a bit too much of a party cruise for us.

The problem is that the only other itinerary from Norfolk is the 6 day Bahamas which for us doesn't hold much interest and it is pretty expensive compared to Caribbean sailings elsewhere - we can fly to Florida and sail a better itinerary for very close to the same money (and we have expensive airfare out here in Roanoke!) I checked on some of the RCI Norfolk cruises and they were even more ridiculously expensive. As far as Carnival goes, the Victory only sails twice a year from Norfolk, a 6 day and a 2 day in June, and next year 2 6 day cruises and a 2 day in October so dates are very limited.

I would dearly love to see Carnival in town more often (maybe for a several month stretch like RCI is doing) with a good itinerary and decent rates. It's a driveable distance for us, we are from that area and have family about 10 minutes from the pier we can stay with the night before, and the new terminal is great - a really nice facility with great views while you wait. It's my understanding that they would need to use a Spirit class ship to do Caribbean routes from Norfolk since those ships sail at a faster speed so I don't know that it will ever happen, but it's nice to dream!

I hate to fly so would jump in a heartbeat at some better options from Norfolk but the Victory just isn't it for us.

I live 20 minutes from Norfolk and have never cruised from there. We can fly to Florida, get a precruise hotel, balcony cabin, and cruise a much better 7 day itinerary all for less than the 6 day out of Norfolk. It simply cost too much to cruise from here. We cruised the Victory out of Miami though and loved it.

I am planning the June 1st cruise out of Norfolk for my family of 6 (I have already posted on the roll call). We are driving from Pittsburgh. We all flew to Miami this past May for our cruise, so I am trying to save on the airfare this time.

There have been some negative reviews about the Victory lately, but a vacation is what you make of it...so I am going for it!

I agree with the previous poster...RCI is WAY expensive sailing from up north on the east coast (especially when you are paying for 6:eek: )...so I am sticking with the Victory...

I am trying to talk other family members and friends into coming along with us....why don't you come too:D

From what I understand, a Carnival ship will be ported in Norfolk permanently. Naticus is working to make a HUGE cruise terminal. I heard a couple names mentioned: Victory and/or Sensation. I do not know if any of these are true. But, I do know that RCCL "Grandeur of the Seas" is coming permanently.

Yes and no to the worth it part. We sailed the Victory on the 2 day cruise to nowhere in June as a quick weekend getaway and had fun, but were disappointed in the staff as well as some other things. Now that could just be a fluke, but I certainly wouldn't rule the cruise out because of the ship itself even though we had some issues. The 2 day cruise was way too short and a bit too much of a party cruise for us.

Too funny! We took the 2-day cruise to nowhere from Norfolk this past June as well, to celebrate our Anniversary. We, too, agreed that it was way too short and that we needed a longer cruise. We leave on 9/23 on the Liberty for 6 nights - our longest cruise and longest time away from the kids! I see that you're going on the Liberty next month. Enjoy!

I am planning the June 1st cruise out of Norfolk for my family of 6 (I have already posted on the roll call). We are driving from Pittsburgh. We all flew to Miami this past May for our cruise, so I am trying to save on the airfare this time.

There have been some negative reviews about the Victory lately, but a vacation is what you make of it...so I am going for it!

I agree with the previous poster...RCI is WAY expensive sailing from up north on the east coast (especially when you are paying for 6:eek: )...so I am sticking with the Victory...

I am trying to talk other family members and friends into coming along with us....why don't you come too:D

We enjoyed the Victory this past June. Our only regret was that it was only a 2-day to nowhere cruise, so was way too short. We even had an inside cabin for the 1st time (we were on a wait list for the cruise and that was the 1st room that came available), and it wasn't bad. We have a balcony cabin on the Verandah deck for our next cruise in a week!

From what I understand, a Carnival ship will be ported in Norfolk permanently. Naticus is working to make a HUGE cruise terminal. I heard a couple names mentioned: Victory and/or Sensation. I do not know if any of these are true. But, I do know that RCCL "Grandeur of the Seas" is coming permanently.

So they are expanding beyond the new Halfe Moone terminal that opened in April? Victory is moving to San Juan in 2009 but as of now no replacement has been named. I'll be curious to see if Carnival does something then to add to the Norfolk schedule. Seems like the Canada runs could alternate with Caribbean or Bermuda like RCI is doing and probably be very successful. I don't keep up with RCI news too much but Grandeur will be in Norfolk for a few months next summer. It's not a year round thing but at least it's a steady few months of sailings. As of right now the Victory only has those five cruises I mentioned earlier in 2008 from Norfolk.

It seems odd that Norfolk would add on since the new terminal just opened in April and they still don't have a full time ship yet but I've seen stranger things with local govt.

www.cruisenorfolk.org

Here's the new terminal building next to Nauticus and the Wisconsin in the background.

1592723836_VictoryCruise062.jpg.e51606fd24368d0fb3d870151f9c4c8c.jpg

I have heard alot of "no so good" things about cruises to nowhere. I cannot imagine getting on a cruise ship and going nowhere.

That thought of that is disappointing in itself.

And especially for only two days. It's not worth packing. I've never done a short cruise. I like 7 days or more and ports.

• 7 years later...

8 years later aaaand.... Nope. :-/

I have heard alot of "no so good" things about cruises to nowhere. I cannot imagine getting on a cruise ship and going nowhere.

That thought of that is disappointing in itself.

I've only done 1 Cruise to Nowhere. It was my least favorite of the 13 cruises I've sailed.

On the other hand, I loved the Victory when i sailed her. I thought it was a great ship.

DH and I sailed on the Victory out of Miami last September and folks I have to be honest and say it was by far the worst cruise experience we have ever had. The quality of the food was not good in either the MDR or Windjammer. The pizza was the best thing we found to eat. The staff were for the most part, unfriendly and were often observed talking amongst each other in the Windjammer when tables needed to be cleared to make room for guests needing tables. You will love the decor if you like green....and I mean lots of it!