Sunset Beach - Price Change?

liberty5

We were there a week or two ago, and most of the hotel part was closed for renovation. I guess they expect to have it re-opened by Nov. See the related thread in this section (Jamaica) I gave another poster more details of our recent visit. They also have a nice website at http://www.sunsetbeachresort.com

Happy sailing,

JHC

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the cutoff age is for the child rate of $20.00? I have a 14 and 15 year old. If my total is $120.00 for the four of us I might consider Sunset Beach. If it runs $40.00 each, I don't know if I really want to drop $160.00.

We are really just interested in the beach access. What is the beach like there? Are there any water toys, trampolines, etc?

I don't know, maybe Dr. Cove's Beach might be more what we are looking for. How expensive is the food at Dr. Cove's? If we are going to drop a lot of money on food and drinks, maybe Sunset will be worth it.

I'm so confused!!!!!!:confused: :confused:

Spasm, My family went last year during our cruise in October and absolutely LOVED IT!!! We are going again this October and cannot wait. It is great if you have kids because of the water park. If you are without kids, then there is plenty to do as well with the beach and all of the bars. The food is excellent and the drinks are not weak. I would strongly suggest it.

Have a great day.

This is great to hear; we are trying to figure out our Jamaica day for next summer. The $40 price is ALL inclusive, correct? (food, alcoholic, non-alcohol drinks, etc.). Were the facilities clean and well maintained? Thanks!

Spasm, My family went last year during our cruise in October and absolutely LOVED IT!!! We are going again this October and cannot wait. It is great if you have kids because of the water park. If you are without kids, then there is plenty to do as well with the beach and all of the bars. The food is excellent and the drinks are not weak. I would strongly suggest it.

Have a great day.

Also, what is the beach itself like?

A month ago 10 of us went to Dr Cave beach and had a lovely time, only a couple of hawkers trying to sell the water activities (lot more in mexico). Beach service! Red stripe light, food and there are two or three restaurants right there if you want them. Its cheap and safe, they have changing rooms, lockers and showers etc. and I am forgetting the best bit, its lovely beach with gently shelving sand so you can just sit in it with the legs in the water, we also saw a lot of fish over by the pier when we snorkelled.

This is great to hear; we are trying to figure out our Jamaica day for next summer. The $40 price is ALL inclusive, correct? (food, alcoholic, non-alcohol drinks, etc.). Were the facilities clean and well maintained? Thanks!

we have been to the Mo Bay resort twice, last time was a year ago, they had the water park done. it has a nice lazy river, swim up bar & 2 water slides.. very nice!

yes ALL food & drinks are free, they had a buffet set up for lunch last year for lunch & also a place that had fries/tampanadas?/burgers etc. also a couple of boats to use in the water.

facilities are really nice & clean. lots of lounge chairs etc.

I never could figure out the towel thing. they give you a coupon to get a towel, but you can easily get more than one, & when you turn the towel back in they will give you a coupon to turn in at counter,, but they never seemed to care,,I don;t know how they would ever charge you for a missing towel! because you pick up your id cards at an outside guard shack, they have no way of knowing if you returned your towel.....

some times of the year the jelly fish show up so watch for that, do not hang on the rope out in the bay, like my grandson did,, he got residual jelly fish stings from it!!

the water Is clear, but out in the bay watch for the grass in the bottom, they 'may' harbor sea urchins, not nice to step on.

there are 2 swimming pools.

I HIGHLY recommend the place..

now "I" need more info on the one in Ocho rios

We have 11 people in our group from 2 yrs. to 83 yrs. Is this an appropriate place for everyone? We will need plenty of shade for the elderly but want to make sure they can enjoy the beach/resort experience. We will be on the Carnival Conquest 11/04. Do we buy the tickets on board? If not, how do will we know they aren't full?

It's not worth an extra $20 pp to book in advance. (there are 13 of us) The people we've spoken to said it would be extremely rare for them to be so booked to not allow cruise passengers in. I have never seen a mention of this happening on the Cruise Critic boards, even during peak vacation times.

However, unexpected events can happen that could alter any planned excursion, so it is always a good idea to have a back up plan just in case. We would probably just head to Doctor Cave Beach.

I will check back a week before our sailing. They should have a good idea of whether they will be booked to capacity or not.

Thanks for reporting back. When are you going? We will be there Nov 21. :D :D :D

we are on the Conquest as well and plan on going straight to Sunset Beach (family of four) as well. I sure hope they are not full....but what else is there to do without reservations in MB?

Thanks!

We have 11 people in our group from 2 yrs. to 83 yrs. Is this an appropriate place for everyone? We will need plenty of shade for the elderly but want to make sure they can enjoy the beach/resort experience. We will be on the Carnival Conquest 11/04. Do we buy the tickets on board? If not, how do will we know they aren't full?

Hey there come check out our roll call for 11/4 conquest. we have quite a great group going!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=492112

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the confusion may be from people looking at two different properties. The Sunset Grande in Ochio Rios charges $40.00pp for cruise ship passengers and is pretty close to the dock from what I hear. However, they also have another property in Montego Bay that may charge more. You may want to make sure everyone is talking about the same Sunset when quoting a price. I know I was confused for a couple of days before I figured out the problem. I pulled up the websites to both. I just recieved an e-mail from the Sunset Grande in Ochio Rios with the prices. So I can print out and take with me.

Archived