Just Wondering: Is taking the kids on a cruise by myself even feasible???????????????

momofmn00

Good choice ;)

I am so excited for you. You are going to have such a great time. I wish I could add on another OCT cruise and I could join ya. :D

BTW, don't forget to join the ROLL CALL for that sailing. It will be nice to "know" some people before you sail.

I definitely agree with you about joining the roll call for that cruise. My dad suggested that when he found out that I was cruising alone. I feel like know tons of people already. I also found out that there are kids my son's age and quite a few people coming from my area.

I am also relatively shy and you know what, you socialize with what you are comfortable with. I think the roll call will give me a chance to meet and spend time with people if I choose.

Ok, I guess I'll add on that I am somewhat shy, espically at first. I don't really know how much 'actual socializing' I will do because of this...

Glad to hear you are going - you and the kids will have a great time. Now about socializing. I don't think you need to be hanging out in the bar or disco to meet people ;) . Just sitting at your table at meals, laying by the pool, etc. will allow you to talk w/others - just be open to it and do what's comfortable for you. Take the time for yourself too, get pampered :)

I have never been anything but a single mom and have taken my son all kinds of places, just the two of us. Our first cruise he was 8, second he was 11, now we have our third one in a month and he's 14. On our first cruise, after his first experience at Camp Carnival, I practically didn't see him, he LOVED it! Ports were our have fun family time.

Definitely get on the roll call for your sailing. I've done this for all our cruises and met some great people, shared a shore excursion with one Mom and her kids in Cozumel and had some fun folks to hang out with.

Good luck and enjoy the time with your kids!

I'm so glad you've decided to go. Clearly there are lots of us single moms who have discovered that cruising is a great way to vacation with our kids. My mom used to take my sister and I on cruises when I was a kid, and I started with my twins when they were a year old.

I am also very shy, but you can't believe how easy it is to walk into one of the scheduled game activities - lots of the groups always need one more person for their team, and the competition is a quick and fun bonding experience. You'll meet people on shore excursions, and I also find that when other parents learn I'm alone, they make an effort to include me in whatever they're doing. But my favorite social activity is the blackjack table :)

Have a great time. My friends ask if it isn't too sad to be on a ship full of couples, and I must say, I do get jealous of all the romance going on - but there's a bliss to being on your own with your children on board.

Best,

Mia

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again o everyone for their support. This last few weeks have been SO Extrememly stressful for me and the kids, I have hardly had any time for getting on the boards! Man, but rest assured, I have still decided to book a cruise for next October. For my 30th Birthday!

I know! Such a long time away! I wish it was sooner, I know I could sure use a nice relaxing vacation right about now, but I will surely need the next year to save up enough for us to travel!!!! Since we will be traveling alone, I have decided that me an dthe kids will fly instead of drive the 10+ hour drive, so unfortunately that adds in alot more $$ but hey, now we can travel to any of the departure ports instead of the closest ones!:D

I am not a single mom, nor have I even sailed alone with my kids. However, we live in California and our families are all on the east coast. My DH has trouble getting time off to visit family, so I have been making the trek alone w/ the boys ever since they were 1 and 2, and whereas some of you may not think much of it, there have never been direct flights, and my family (and DH's, for that matter) are all at least a 2 hour drive from the airport that I fly into. If at times it seems as though you are getting stressed out (which I can't really imagine on a cruise), just take a couple deep breaths and relax!

I enjoyed reading this thread as I am going through a divorce too, and I am planning a cruise alone with my 11yo and 9yo. I was nervous about cruising without a husband, friends, or family, but I am happy to read that so many of you have done it.

Archived