Reggie vs. X-Stream cave tubing

Jem4life

I looked at both Xtreme and REggie and we went with Xtreme, but I wish we had gone with Reggie. We found them totally disoraganized, left late and got started even later because the car's battery died on the way. The solution: borrow someone else's battery. We were not provided any direction on the trip and lost out on some of the places we were supposed to go tubing. I havae seen raves on this board about Richard--honestly we were not that impressed. Maybe it was a bad day . . . I have never seen anything bad on Reggie and for those we met later on the ship they said they had a blast!

We used X-treme and Richard was our guide. He was one of the most friendliest people I met while on our cruise. He gave a very interesting tour, made sure our group was together at all times and helped me when I was having a hard time (I have a bad knee.) I would definately recommend X-treme!

We went with Reggie last week (8/25) and had a great time.We met Jamai(sp?) and Timmy just outside the terminal and paid $55 each instead of the regular $65 because we had reserved in advance at www.regtours.com .The trip was great and Timmy was very entertaining.Afterward they took us to lunch at a place called Amigos where we had a typical Belizian meal of chicken,rice and beans and coleslaw with a bottle of Belikan beer for $7. P.S. on the hike to the caves the 10 of us passed the ship excursion group of about 50 and had the river to ourselves!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I did cave tubing with Reggie a couple years ago, based on reviews here on the site. We had a great time and our group was 10 people. Our guide was very nice and informative. We passed the ship excursion and there were about 60 people in the group, looked like chaos. We stopped on the way back to the ship at a very neat little restaurant and had bbq chicken, fried plantains, beer, etc. It was fantastic. We HIGHLY reccommend Reggie's tour. I think his website is http://www.regtour.com

Jeff and Sharon

Another vote for Reggie. We have been with him twice & had great experiences both times. Once was just Reggie, my husband & me - what a great day! Second trip we had our kids, 12 & 17 plus one other couple and went with Jamai (Reggie's son). Another awesome trip! I can't say anything negative about any other company as I have no other experience, but I can't even imagine that anyone could do a better job of helping you enjoy your experience than Reggie. Visit http://www.regtour.com for more info & reservations.

We used XStream in May with Thomas as our guide. He was just okay. The ride to and from the site was pretty quiet. Thomas was knowledgable, just quiet, and not offering very much. We enjoyed the trip, but it didn't meet the rave reviews we'd read about. If I ever did this trip again, I'd book someone else.

Another vote for Reggie!! I was there on 8/31 and had a wonderful time. Reggie e mailed us directions as to where at the pier to find Timmy and as we walked through the gate Timmy came right up to me and asked if I was looking for him. He directed us to the van while we waited for the other people in the group to arrive. We also passed both a Carnival goup and an Explorer group, each with at least 50 people en route to the caves. Jamai was our guide for the day.

I travelled with my best friend and our daughters, one age 10, the other age 5. For our own comfort level (since we didn't know what to expect) we asked Reggie if we could hire a separate guide for the kids. We made this request at the time we made the reservations ( about a month before the cruise). We had a lovely Belizean college student named Sharema who was with the girls the entire time in the caves (she hooked her feet under each of their tubes), easing our minds considerably. The cost was $25 (total, not for each girl). It was one of the best decisions we made and an option those with children might want to consider.

Lunch at Amigos was terrific. And cheap.

My only word of advice, no matter who you book with, is to be considerate. I made sure that we were on the first tender off the Explorer. The other people in our group were on Carnival, a ship that docked an hour before we did. The people decided to wait until the 6th tender because they were tired from the night before, and came about 45 minutes after we did.

Susan

We have booked with RegTours for the cave float on Sept. 30th and will post a review when we return. regtour.btl.com

Why did we pick RegTour? We do a lot of research for our vacations and try to talk directly to the owners of expeditions we are interested in. RegTours is family owned and operated by Reginald Vold, his wife and sons. A number of the other frequently mentioned companies providing Belize tours (and other countries as well) are brokers based in other countries and sub-contract with various local providers based on who will pay the largest commission at the time. If there is a problem with Regtour, you are dealing directly with the cause of the problem, the owner, and not some "rent a guide".

Reggie has been efficient and fun to deal with and we are looking forward to our day with RegTours. Wish we could say the same about several car rental companies in Cozumel.

Some might ask why we feel qualified to choose family owned operators over others. Our son and his wife own a major whitewater rafting company in Montana, USA. They grew from a 2 person operation to an organization employing 55 people and providing over 12,000 vactioners what is usually the the highpoint of their vacation. Their season only runs for 3 months, and they need to be sure that everyone leaves with a promise to return and tell lot's more about their experience. How is this done? By making every client feel that they are getting VIP treatment. How do they do this to 12,000 tourists? By empowering every employee to think like they own the company and their livlihood depends (which it does) on the clients being happy at the end of the day and telling others about their experience.

That is the feeling we get with RegTours.

Feel free to email us with any comments and we promise to give you a review in early October.

• 2 months later...

Reggie's is a family owned & run operation. He is very conscientious about watching out for everyone, very personable, and shows you a great time. As previously mentioned, it's also smaller, so you're not fighting a crowd. He has it very well organized. We did it a couple of years ago and hope to go back in January. I too highly recommend him!

Archived