Gem in November - Too Cold?

Cruising Is The Life

Well if you remember when the Pearl came across the Atlantic last year about the same time as the Gem is this year. They ran into 3 different storms. Huge waves. but then again it could be very nice. Cold most likely, outside, yes. But inside the ship you will never need a coat or sweater. :)

We booked the Gem out of Barcelona to New York November 2008. This will be our first transatlantic, but it sound like it will be rough and cold. Is it still worth the trip?

New York will be cool. Can't help with the transatlantic weather but SG did post a blog from the Pearl transatlantic. I'm sure you can do a search on that. Rough weather but they had a great time.

I'm sure it is worth the trip. Lucky you! Enjoy every minute:)

I actually checked out the price on this and wow, they are actually not even charging a single supplement. If only I had the vacation time...I would book 2 single connecting balconies for me and my wife and convert one to the living room area creating my luxury 2 room suite and have a blast. HAHA

We cruised in 2005 from Rome to Galveston. The weather in the Med was delightful, low 80's and bright blue skies. We may have been lucky as I have seen many describe this time of year as mixed, rain, cool but with possible sunshine.

Once we got into the Atlantic, the weather was mostly cloudy, with lots of showers and typically in the hight 60's. It was pretty cold if you tried to get into the pool. Once you got in it was warm enough until you got out then Brrr!!! We also missed Key West due to Hurricane Wilma knocking out electricity 3 days before we got there.

Luckily our ship had a covered atrium which made the sea days nice.

We were on the Dawn on our first cruise on its inaugral sailing from Southampton to New York.

That was in December, and we loved every minute of it, so much, in fact, that we are sailing Barcelona to Boston on the new Gem in December!

Of course it was cold, and yes. it did get rough, but I loved to lie in bed and watch the camera on the front of the ship.

We loved wrapping up from the cold and fighting our way against the wind on our walks arond the ship, must be something to do with being British, I suppose!

Bear in mind that you are on a re-positioning cruise, and don't expect to go swimming in the pool!

Archived